Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Secret Temple Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, this is my first thread on Polycount. This is a portfolio piece I've decided to work on. I've decided to do my environment based on a concept by Baron Tieri (this is his website http://www.barontieri.com/) I've gotten permission from Mr.Tieri to use his art. This is the concept art

This is a simple blockout i've finished, I have already done some highpoly in zbrush, I'll be posting them soon. Any crits are welcome, if you want me to go back and re-do something, if you have any new ideas to help me, everything is appreciated :)

ss1.jpg

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a solid start to me. I always loved that piece of concept art.

What approach are you taking with the art style? Realistic? Stylized?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PatrickL - Thanks ! I always loved this concept art as well ^^ personally I'm leaning towards realistic, but I think somewhat stylized would not look bad either

Couple of updates, took some screenshot in Zbrush of some of the highpolys that I did, I still have a few more to sculpt, then I'm off to baking and texturing

Bridge_render_01.jpg
    Floor_Common_render_01.jpg
    Floor_Main_render_01.jpg
    Floor_Main_render_02.jpg

Any crits are appreciated
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    cool start on the sculpts. it seems though that the scale of the bridge is off. it may be just because of how zoomed in it is, but it looks like the "walkway" part of it seems to thin.

looking forward to more.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Oniram! Alot of people actually have said that the walkway on the bridge does seem narrow so I might have to scale it up ^^

More coming soooon
  • Phenom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start on the blockout. Sculpts look pretty slick so far too, you've got the chipped/aged stone look pretty much nailed. Can't wait to see some lush foliage come in.
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking like a great start so far, I am liking to look of those high poly models.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys..its been way too long but i've been busy doing some other projects on top of this one.

2.28%20ss.jpg

the textures are still wip, once I have everything in, i'll start tweaking the lights further more..if anyone has any critiques dont hesitate please. I've been having troubles doing some foliage stuff D:, any tips are appreciated! oh and the yellow dots are dust particle..also not final haha t.t

cheers!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

3.8.jpg

I'm so slowwww any suggestions and critiques are appreciated! Anythingggg
  • SamboMambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good, sculpts are very nice! your tiles floor in the latest shot looks very stretched and i'd expect them to be actual separate meshes (but very low poly) or have some edge mesh pieces.

Rocks look cool, but the colour map looks very painted compared to the rest of the scene.

good stuff so far!
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    You might want to take another look at your reference image. Some things seem a little off. For instance, the entryway hole should be lower. In the ref you can see that there is actually a flat part at the bottom, about 3-4 feet wide. There are some other things spacing wise that bother me, but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly. Sorry! Hope this helps.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ sambomambo hey thank you!! I'm also digging your latest environment piece, The floor is actually very boring because its so lowpoly, Ill prob go make seperate meshes to make it pop out more :D rocks will be retextured..I dont know why i put a smart blur to the rock textures lol :D Updates coming soon !!

@neverwander you make a good point, I never noticed the flat part at the bottom, now i think about it, it would make more sense. been having a hard time getting all the spacing and scale wise correct, let me know if you spot anything ":D
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice so far. A few tiny things ive picked up

There is not enough wear on the + in the middle and the circle surrounding it if you compare it to the concept.

The ground moss, espcially at the bottom needs a little more colour variation.

Not sure how to word this, but the big tree next to the circle entrance looks like its further back in the scene and growing outwards toward the camera. Yours looks very straight and theres not as much roots coming toward the camera.

Hope that helps. Im terrible at explaining things
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    Omg nice!! what brush are you using when carving the stones,Any additional settings to the brush you use??

Cant find a good way to make it look realistic :(
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Darkleopard Thanks :D Your right, the stone seems bit too clean for my likings :D I'll definitely be changing the textures to match the concept more. Ground moss definitely needs alot more work, I really want that darker green into lime green like in the concept, need to fiddle around with the vertex painting a bit more. I actually have vine meshes thats not in the scene yet :D Will definitely add them for the next update. I could go and make the tree a bit more interesting.

I'm terrible too T_T

@Thewiruz Thanks !! I use clay tube brush on Zsub to make the damage you see in the corner and along the edges, at first I'll just go crazy and destroy all the edges and then I'll move onto TrimDynamic and kind of smooth things out a bit. When I'm using Claytube I like to work with a fairly large brush and When I'm using TrimDynamic I'll use size about 30~40. I always keep my Intensity around half and I keep doing the same process until I'm satisfied with the result. As for the scratches I'll use claybuildup to draw the line or Orb's custom scratch brush and then bash the edges in with trimdynamic. I also have a rock alpha that I like to dragreact on my meshes before I start sculpting, hope that helps..I really do suck at explaining things..
    If your wondering about how to create the rock alpha check out Onirams tutorial on vimeo, and you can get Orb's scratch brush on his website I belive. ^^
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    Ahh ok thanks a lot for explaining!!

Damn cant find that brush you are talking about :/ . Anyway

Keep up the good work !
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clay tubes : B -> C -> T
    Trim dynamic : B -> T -> D

:)
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thewiruz your probably using a different version of zbrush then me, ummm which ones are you having troubles finding?

Clay tubes : B -> C -> T
    Trim dynamic : B -> T -> D

:)

:D yup!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh great! I was wondering which brush you've been using for the rocks. I will have a look at that brush soon.

Cant wait for the next update :D
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, just a small update, still haven't been able to finish this
    I had to work on another environment piece on top of this, so very busy

been trying to think of cool ways to make the scene look alot better..
    still gotta fix those textures you guys told me about..will get to that quickly as possible
    been trying several ways to texture the rocks..nothing looks the way i want T_T*

critiques are welcome !!

3.13.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys its almost near my graduation..This environment piece has taught me so much and I am going to call it finished in a matter of time. I do have little time to tweak it, but in all honesty I want to start a new project and kick ass :D Thanks to everyone that's been helping me and giving me suggestions.

[img][/img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15078207/3292.jpg

edit: I'll have a small fly through of the environment soon!