Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Underpass Environment

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
Hey all. Started working on an environment for my portfolio based on this concept art by Atomhawk Design. Been working away at the blockout and think I got most of it to scale. Though fresh eyes always help. I took some artistic liberty in changing the concept up a bit. I liked the idea of a subway and how it would affect the lighting in the environment.

EDIT: the strange lighting stuff is probably due to be not having any lightmaps and stuff.

Blockout.jpg

Replies

Offline / Send Message
    I like the lighting style you are going for, looking forward to seeing some more models placed in the scene. Its to early to tell what you are exactly going for since you don't really have to much in it just yet. Looking forward to seeing some more progress.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'l be keeping an eye out on this, this looks like a fantastic start.

As mentioned, the lighting is going to be a very key point (it really is in all environments), but also keep the background in mind. I'd like to see what you end up doing here.

Good luck!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey been busy working on this with other projects and trying to keep up with the tech art/shader stuff. Been trying to make this scene with modular texturing and keeping to the BRAWL specs. Anywho an update. Plans going ahead is dirtying up the road/sidewalk more with trash and cracks. Getting garbage dumpsters and some smoke coming from the gutters etc. Also tonnes of texturing head

Any crits and feedback would be awesome especially on dealing with the background. No clue what Im going to try there. I think I might try going for a more silhouette approach and giving hints at the forms and features back there.

WIP_Environment.png
  • Jhill8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going to be good
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Whoo! This looks nice! very moody! I like the idea of putting some silhouetted forms in the fog - if you want to go the extra distance you could model some cars and basic people to pose about the place.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jhill8 and Darkleopard: Thanks!

@fearian: Yeah I think I'm going to go down that route (plus saves time and texturing space). Definitely going to add a truck and bring a more cyberpunk/futuristic look to the top city. Also need to sculpt some cracks and stuff for the road to use as decals to bring some stuff into the foreground.
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    Y'know, lens flare generally gets a bad rap with most people in general, but here's a fact I bet you didn't know: It's a real world phenomenon! It occurs in real life! Have you ever stared at the sun until your eyes hurt? Well that's because of lens flare stupid.

Also consider this: JJ Abrams makes great movies. Star Trek, Cloverfield, a third one? All amazing. And what do they all have in common? I think you're beginning to catch on here.

All I'm saying is slap some LF on those lights and this will be a better movie than Star Trek.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Y'know, lens flare generally gets a bad rap with most people in general, but here's a fact I bet you didn't know: It's a real world phenomenon! It occurs in real life! Have you ever stared at the sun until your eyes hurt? Well that's because of lens flare stupid.

Lens flare is caused by reflections between the bits of glass in a lens. Eyes don't have multiple lenses so you can't get lens flare with raw vision.

You are thinking of starring which is not the same thing.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just posting an update. Got some good feedback from people and gonna work on that. Definitely need to start working on that back area. O and Im using Jordan bathhouse character as a scale of reference. (too many people have asked this haha)

WIP2.png