Leonar3do?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
Anyone see this yet?

http://leonar3do.com/

Video about it at CES:
http://revision3.com/geekbeattv/ces2012-leonar3do

Love the concept. I wonder how precise it is/feels.

Replies

• David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like this technology has a lot of potential. I just think that part in the video where they say you can create ART and they show a 8 year old doing doodles on the screen looks awful.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, yeah, Geekbeat tries to break it down for the simplest terms, for a wider viewer base. Still cool to see it in use, rather than just the promo video they have on the product's site.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This looks pretty awesome. Maybe for previewing 3d sculpts, it's great. For actual use in production for an artist? It's not going to replace the tools we already use. Even if it was absolutely perfect, it's not going to replace the tactile feedback from a mouse or tablet. Does it show a better representation of the model? Does it have an advantage over a zbrush turnable? Between a real-time shader, and a zbrush bpr, can it really offer an advantage over rotating the model in 2d space?

I'm not disparaging their tech, on the contrary it looks awesome! I have a lot of respect for the artists, programmers and technicians involved in the development. Much love for the guys who developed this. However I just wonder how useful it can really be. The industry artists can already translate their ideas into 3D, we can preview their efforts in 3D with real-time shaders, how far do we need to go to preview our art? Until we move over to a 3D/stereosopic workflow, it seems a bit overkill.

It seems like technology is steps and bounds in-front of where we, as an industry, are. I mean sure, you can have your million-poly sculpts and 4k texture maps, but when dev studios are budgeting 15-25 hours for a hero prop, how useful is this tech to the average artist?

I'm just a guy who is very inexperienced, and I'd be very much interested to see what others think. That said, it looks very cool and I'd love to have a go with my models! Thanks for the post, OP, I found it very interesting.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks neat.

you can count out extensive hours modeling though as I'm sure it will fatigue your harm pretty quick.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That input device looks like some sort of creepy insect :)
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    also think of precision.. sculpting? i think no way until you realy are into blobs :D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was my thing. It doesn't look very precise in the videos they've shown, but that could be because they want a quick demo. Also, this is a first gen device (from what I can tell), so maybe down the road, the precision will come.

I see it almost like using a sculpting tool. Where your hand motions create the shape.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    that toy looks very cool :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I've used this 4 years ago at CeBit... Can't remember much, it didn't feel awful though.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's clunky due to the tip of the mouse, and it looks like it's running on it's own App limitations. I wouldn't be surprised if Pixo and Pilgway jumped on this ASAP since they have the base tech ready.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Cool gimmick, no idea how this'll make our jobs any easier.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it will affect the way people make games, film etc. Its a great product, but ... what Walrus said.
    (also the blonde chick is cute :P )
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hmmm. Nice toy but its flawed. In the same way this is flawed.

novint_falcon2.jpg

Its the Novint Falcon Mouse. I demo'd one of these at the Tokyo games show a few years back. I played a Quake Mod, I think, for about 20 minutes. Which is all I could do, because my arm fell off. Holding your arm up for that length of time while making small precise movements takes its toll. This Leonar3do looks like it could be slightly easier to use but you still need to have your arm raised. Which would become very uncomfortable.

Having your hand resting on a desk using a mouse or tablet is still by far the best way to work for long periods.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    This probably won't make much difference to game art, but for medical and ferensic 3D the potential is huge. I have a friend who works as a ferensic artist in Scotland, and he has to use tools which work in VR space to create 3D models. This kind tech could make a huge difference to his workflow.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    What they need is one of these attached to a force resistant arm. So you actually get feedback on movement.

Painters hold their brushes up all day and have precise paintings. We can as well if we have something to lean against.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Played with it at CES. It's cool, but just a gimmick, same as that Novint Falcon. One of our guys here at work freaked out and bought one. Turned out to be a useless piece of shit. The biggest drawback to the Leo is proprietary software is has to use is just garbage. If it can't be an input device to industry standard software it has no place.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J wrote: »
    Looks like this technology has a lot of potential. I just think that part in the video where they say you can create ART and they show a 8 year old doing doodles on the screen looks awful.

I felt her piece showed great emotion, and demonstrated the struggles a of girl her age.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    Played with it at CES. It's cool, but just a gimmick, same as that Novint Falcon. One of our guys here at work freaked out and bought one. Turned out to be a useless piece of shit. The biggest drawback to the Leo is proprietary software is has to use is just garbage. If it can't be an input device to industry standard software it has no place.

That's what I was wondering about... someone that actually tried it. Disappointing to hear it's that bad, and yeah, I was hoping that the software was just for demonstration purposes. If they can't even get it working with something like blender, then it will never become anything more than a toy/gimmick.