Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

cartoon village

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
fab-camp polycounter lvl 6
Hey there,

I like to show that project I worked on the last couple of weeks. Textures were baked in max, screenshots are out of UDK.
any critics and comments are realy apreciated, as I want to use that one for my first portfolio !

screens020005layer4.jpg

screens010003layer2.jpg

screens020001layer8.jpg

thanks in advance
screens020005layer4.jpg

Replies

• fab-camp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edit:
    I´m sorry you´re redirected to imageshack by clicking the images.
    If have got do better the next time... just noticed
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    i'm not good at saying whats good, so i will tell you what bugging me, is that cool? :)

-inconsisteny of detail, your rock is kinda detailed, whereas the grass is really just a flat color
    -textures look like they have too much sharpen or a jpg comression or something on it
    -in the second screenshot there is a bush floating around
    -looks rather uninteresting to me, because of the lack of details

materials are not just about the diffuse color, but much more complex, read this:
    http://www.manufato.com/?p=902
    your materials read as plastic and i dont think that was what u where going for.
  • fab-camp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    I switched from terrainmode with decolayers to landscape- and foliagemode.
    So now can have far more trees and a bigger surrounding.
    Also added some environment-backdrops and refined transition between grass and cobbles.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    You've called it a 'cartoon village' but it completely lacks any sort of artistic direction. It just looks like blockout textures still. Look at some games such as World of Warcraft for a more stylised look. I'm not saying copy that style, but look at how they define materials and surfaces. Putting a cel shader on the scene does not make it 'stylised'.

Also, look at some of your geo. The orange roofing looks very odd, as some verts have been pulled out. If anything, those verts should go IN, as the building roof sags.

Just spend more time on your textures for the time being.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Apologies in advance, as this is a long one...

While there isn't anything inherently wrong with the scene, you need to ask yourself what about it is going to make it look attractive to your audience.
    What is the purpose of the area? Perhaps telling a story about what happened/goes on here, or showing that the area is lived in by real characters will help.

I take it that you are going for more of an Okami graphical style - but if you look at that game (sadly I can't get an example as Google Images in blocked here) then you'll notice that even the relatively simple textures have detail on them.
    The grass in your scene at the moment is just straight-up green, but you could add some tiling detail such as hand-painted leaves or grass blades to break up the blandness.

Another similar thing is that your scene is not busy enough. Most contemporary real-time environments use texture detail to add interest to a scene or object. When you take out a lot of that detail in textures, you have to make up for it in other areas, such as populating the scene with more interesting silhouettes, more objects or just adding loads of variation.
    Maybe creating one or two more grass clump variations of differing colours and shape then mixing them together with what you already have littered about the scene. Add some different flowers scattered about the place with the foliage tool to break up the swathes of green colour.
    'Variation is the spice of environments' as I saw a very intelligent person post here the other day.

You could try making loads more props for the village too - bales of hay, carts, milk urns. Really bring in some more detail for people to look at that can really show that your world is lived in.

As your scene materials are pretty much the same set-up, if you haven't already you should look into Material Instancing to take a lot of the processing load off the computer. When you start to add a lot of independent objects into the scene all with different shaders and textures, you'll really be needing to optimise everything you can.

Edit: Turn off Ambient Occlusion (or AO) in "World Properties > Rendering" too, as it really doesn't fit in with your current style of lighting.

Also, is this for iOS/Mobile platforms?
    I hope that helps and that I don't come across as a dick! It's a good, solid concept and I can't wait to see where you go with it :)