Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brandoom's work log.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

so I've decided that I should make myself a work log thread. Hopefully I'll update it somewhat often..

anyway,

Here's a small project I've started that I DO actually plan on finishing. Just a small dinner/hotel/motel type building.

VeWno.jpg

Replies

• SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks good. looking forward seeing this with textures.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    looking good so far, i'll be following this...

but i have a nitpick, the second floor of rooms is much smaller than the first and, judging by the height of the front door, there wouldn't even be room for a person to walk in without beeing on their four :D; even more so the roof is so small that there's no point in having windows there as none could get in the attic.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    26mcS.jpg

Slowly working away on this. Got it into UDK finally.

Is it just me, or is UDK harder to light with now. I feel my lighting sucks, lol. Not entirely sure on my color choices either.

Still lots to do.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Lighting is never easy, if it were, then we wouldn't have people who specialize in lighting and rendering lol.

Personally the eat3D tutorial on lighting and post processing helped me a ton http://eat3d.com/udk_lighting
    I highly recommend it to learn how to create great lighting in UDK.

If you just want to show off one asset I think Marmoset toolbag is a much easier way to get high quality renders in less time. You can try the trail here http://www.8monkeylabs.com/toolbag or buy it if you feel inclined.

As for UDK usually a soft yellow/orange directional light, with the world properties shadows set to a dark purple hue gives an nice outdoor feel.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, mate. Nice work with this. Though I definitely think you could take this to the next level by adding a little more interest and personality to the scene aside from it being just a single model. It wouldn't really take much, maybe adding in the road, a few street lights/lamp posts. Something to give it a bit of context instead of the lonely building. That's just my opinion and you probably didn't want to take it to that level.

The lighting in your scene at the moment is really letting this model down and making it look really flat and uninteresting. I think you should experiment with it a little more to generate a specific mood or atmosphere. I think that alone will bring your model to life.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Hey man, nice start! You could add some interest to this by making some variations of your modules: make some with small windows (like bathroom windows?) and others with no windows at all. Or maybe make one of the sides of the building windowless.

You should also throw a character model in there for scale reference, as the whole structure looks smaller than it should be. Maybe it's missing some small scale details to realy sell the scale?

Dropping the street view dude on some random Parisian street could also help you alot in making this more believable:) http://g.co/maps/u2ahc

Keep it up dude!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that last screenshot in UDK?

I dig the model, nice and clean. I'm sure your still working on textures, but here's my 2 cents:

I think the bricks are too white. They contrast really sharply with the dark grey bricks around the windows and the darker trim.

Your ground floor could benefit from some interesting wood work on the wood panels..maybe some insets or something.

Also, in addition to what Emil suggested, breaking up the building itself would be cool. Maybe have some wires being ran across the brick walls, A sign sticking out for the shop on the ground floor..something to break up the monotony and add more interesting shapes.

What are you planning to do with your windows? Right now they are killing the scene.

I'll second Bardler's suggestion on the Eat3d lighting and postprocessing tutorial. I bought that last year and it helped me a lot.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow,

I feel bad.. you guys all gave great feedback and I didn't notice until now :(

I'm currently on my way out the door, but I would like to address all your comments at some point.

Here's where I'm at right now. I'm pretty happy with how its coming along. I'm sort of aiming for a French Bistro type setting.

olWq6.jpg

Hope you like, thanks guys.

B