Home General Discussion

Online Training?

Hey guys,

Since the majority of you are amazing artists,

I want to push myself and learn more, I dont game as much anymore I find myself mostly pushing myself to learn more, about engines, modelling and more.

I want to know wether anyone thinks online training is a good idea for me?

I was looking at Digital Tutors but I've heard some bad reviews and to be totally honest the way they present there tutorials is pretty bad, its just a big cluster achieve with no real structure.

If yes is the answer, what would you guys recommend?

If no then what approach should I take? because in all honesty I feel like I'm at a block at the moment because there is so much to learn but I dont know what I need to do first!

Some of the stuff I've done is on my DA (just so you can see where I am at in terms of self-teaching) my texturing is pretty bad but I have improved!,

http://ashleysmash.deviantart.com/

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Best online training you can get is posting your art on this forum and listening.
  • Smash
    cholden wrote: »
    Best online training you can get is posting your art on this forum and listening.

all that and its free! thank you sir!
    I guess I should start doing that
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    cholden wrote: »

I think Eat3D might be a little bit better, and be closer to what he needs ;)
  • Smash
    Andreas wrote: »
    I think Eat3D might be a little bit better, and be closer to what he needs ;)

I actually recently did an Eat3D dvd, the cryengine 3 vol 1-3 and it was really good, the tutorials had good depth and I found it easy to learn. I'll be buying some more of those once I get another monitor due to the fact alt+tabbing between WMP and max/ps is annoying.. lol

Thanks Andreas :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    It really depends on what exactly would you like to do.

If you want to learn basics and some what advanced subjects of 3d. Digital Tutors is the way to go.

They also teach Unity now so You should find a thorough documentation there.

I find Eat 3d's tutorial(s) missing few things for those who are looking for step-by-step process of learning in their Vol 1 tutorials. I havent looked in to Cryengine 3 tho. (I am sure HP nailed pretty much every subject one needs to know to use cryengine and I am going to buy it as soon as I get some cash :D.)

I would suggest you should subscribe to Digital Tutors and learn the basics thoroughly. That way you will know what needs to be done, and you will have some what idea of how things are done for game arts and all. Than you can move forward and look for tutorials at Eat 3d.

Good luck
  • Smash
    Im not sure about unity as an engine to be honest, but I guess I could use it due the fact its knowledge about another engine. As for Helder Pinto! yes! he most definetly nailed it! I looked through most tutorials and they was pretty bad but it was totally worth the money.

Vol 1 and 2 are really really helpful, he does rush the landscape sculpting with the engines tools but I guess thats mainly because he wants you to be creative and get your own feel for it.

Vol 3 feels a little rushed to be honest, somethings arnt explained as well as Vol 1-2 but its still easily worth the money!

and thank you Nitewalker, I'll look into DT more and see what they have too offer, I was also looking at The Rydan Workshop for enviromental design so Im still waiting for them too respond!
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    It really depends on what exactly would you like to do.

If you want to learn basics and some what advanced subjects of 3d. Digital Tutors is the way to go. I would suggest you should subscribe to Digital Tutors and learn the basics thoroughly.

This pretty much. DT has helped me a lot and they are making new tutorials every month.. They definitely are worth the money imo..
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    eat3D and PC.

Digital Tutors if you want truly your basic steps for a program from the beginning.
  • benji
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Have a look at what 3dmotive have to offer too. I knew in advance that I wouldn't be busy throughout January so I bought a subscription with the intention to end it after 1 month, and cram in all the tutorials I could :)
  • Smash
    benji wrote: »
    Have a look at what 3dmotive have to offer too. I knew in advance that I wouldn't be busy throughout January so I bought a subscription with the intention to end it after 1 month, and cram in all the tutorials I could :)

I'll check 3Dmotive out too mate
    and thank you all for the helpful replys! :D
  • CrazyMatt
    3D Buzz and Gnomon Workshop are the two key resources I have used in taking much of my time to learning much of the software that is out there today.
  • 3DLam
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Check out www.therydanworkhsop.com
    Quality instructors who know their stuff. Cost is pretty minimal for live one on one online classes.

Pm me if you have any questions.