Home General Discussion

Zynga, Nimblebit, and Tiny Tower

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
Hey, anyone knows full story behind this?

dearzynga.jpg

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/24/tiny-tower-developers-call-out-zynga-for-their-look-alike-game/

according to this article Zynga made attempt to buy Nimblebit and they refused.
Would like to hear Zynga's version of events, if there is such

If stuff above is true, the whole situation is alarming, if you're successful indie developer making money of something original, there's a big chance a big player steps up and cuts a chunk of your market by making the same shit but with more resource behind it.

On the other side, for example, why there's still no AAA Minecraft clone yet, maybe there's a way to protect your project from being ripped off?

Replies

• Mrskullface
    That's sad, it's not even about working hard to be better anymore, it's about tripping the person in front of you to get ahead :[
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator

On the other side, for example, why there's still no AAA Minecraft clone yet, maybe there's a way to protect your project from being ripped off?

Probably because its hard to monetize a minecraft clone, I mean minecraft doesnt have obvious in app purchases its just a good game, all these other ios/facebook social games do.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Well, That sucks. "Oh, that looks like a game that could make us money. Sell it to us or we'll just make a clone".

As a person just starting in the indie scene I'd hate to think my ideas might get copied by a larger company only doing it so they can take away some of my business. Admittedly our game is a sort of copy of other games mixed together to create a new experience. Very few things are original these days. But to just straight up copy something else.....gah! Sickens me...

Also the original version looks nicer imo. I'm a pixel fan. If i had an iphone i'd buy it.

I will stop playing Words with friends in protest of this.

Minecraft is the AAA version of Minecraft. You can bet Zynga have a minecraft style game ready for Facebook though.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Stinger88 wrote: »

I will stop playing Wordfeud in protest of this.

why? who made wordfeud?
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    sorry, Words with friends...doh. My Bad.
  • Ben Apuna
    Cloning happens all the time :( The better your game, the more it will get cloned. Haven't released on a particular platform? Your game will be, just with a slightly different name.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    This is Zyngas business model and has been from the start. The vast majority of their games are clones of other games, with Zyngas specifically calculated (by psychologists, no less) monetary model attached.

Zynga wouldn't have had a minecraft clone because the development costs would have been too high. Most of their games have absolute minimal development overhead.
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    It's not like it's a big secret that Zynga blatantly copies from other developers, isn't it...
    What's this about some sort of IP protection law? :D
  • sama.van
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Go on oDesk and in the job research write "mobile game".

You will see that most of the last request require Temple-Run games like.
  • sama.van
    Offline / Send Message
    And about Zinga I add they already copied most of the Playfish release.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph wrote: »
    It's not like it's a big secret that Zynga blatantly copies from other developers, isn't it...
    What's this about some sort of IP protection law? :D

Zynga have been sued numerous times, not only for copying games, but also for stealing the source code. They always just settle for an "undisclosed amount".

Best (and most hilariously ironic) example is when they tried to acquire the developer of MyFarm - the acquisition fell through, but they obtained the source code of MyFarm from the original developer. Six weeks after negotiations fell through (and months after the release of MyFarm), FarmVille, an almost verbatim clone appeared. The hilariously ironic part is where Zynga later sued developer Vostu for apparently ripping off CityVille - you know, that game derived from FarmVille which in itself is not only a copycat of another developers game, but actually stole the source code from it too!
  • gsokol
    ambershee wrote: »
    Zynga have been sued numerous times, not only for copying games, but also for stealing the source code. They always just settle for an "undisclosed amount".

Zynga: 3,000 employes

3 developers
    2997 lawyers

Thats seriously the way they conduct business. Either they blatently rip off somebody else and make huge profit, or they blatently rip off somebody else and make huge profit and get sued and settle out of court for an amount that is minuscule compared to their huge profit.

I hate to rag on them because I have a few friends that work there, but I hate that they can so freely feed off of Indie developers who don't have the resources or marketing ability that Zynga does.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I know that a job is a job, and it puts food on the table, but personally I doubt I'd be able to bring myself to work for them. There's a certain amount of moral and ethical code I'd like to see in any employer. If they've got a real culture of fucking other developers over, they're probably willing to do it to their employees too.

Did you know that Zynga also has an arm that sells goods for charitable non-profit? The best part is that it keeps 50% of the donations (over $6 million to date).

They're also the only company I've ever heard of that sells in-game currency in quantities of $500 or more via Western Union wire transfer. That's just fucking shady.
  • Ben Apuna
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    :S

ITs sad that this happens, games arent the first industry to get clones though, and I can imagine it hurts a 3 man team to see something they've put together get ripped off by a big company.

It would have been interesting to see the dicussion between Zynga and Niblebit, as I wonder why the buy out broke down..

A good position to be in would be to sell and retain royalty rights. then go work on something new.
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    ambershee wrote: »

Best (and most hilariously ironic) example is when they tried to acquire the developer of MyFarm - the acquisition fell through, but they obtained the source code of MyFarm from the original developer. Six weeks after negotiations fell through (and months after the release of MyFarm), FarmVille, an almost verbatim clone appeared. The hilariously ironic part is where Zynga later sued developer Vostu for apparently ripping off CityVille - you know, that game derived from FarmVille which in itself is not only a copycat of another developers game, but actually stole the source code from it too!

Oh really? I didn't know they also stole the source of the game... Sweet baby raptor jebus! I've heard horror stories about working there, but bloody hell...
    Food on the table aside, I personally couldn't live with myself if I were asked to steal actual content (code, art, sound, whatever) from another game to put it in a blatant copy.

On the charity "cut", that's just fucking horrible. Do you have some sources for that? I'd love to know more.

edit: @roflness: Why would selling with royality retainment be a good idea? Why would any self respecting developer have their brainchild get unevitably raped by the likes of Zynga?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick google source:
    http://gigaom.com/2010/03/04/zynga-haiti-donations/

You'll find better sources. In some cases they never stated just how much of the 'proceeds' went to the cause.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    This is sad indeed.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    The modern capitalistic society we live in. Rules in place to keep systems closed and prices high for sub par products, nothing to protect actual innovation and hard work by the individual.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember reading an article about investment in startups and there are companies that act as incubators for new product, which is all well and good, but its got to the stage now where theres so much investment people are incubating incubators.. all money no ideas...
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I bet zynga-ceo stores all his games up on his loft.
  • gsokol
    Why would selling with royality retainment be a good idea? Why would any self respecting developer have their brainchild get unevitably raped by the likes of Zynga?

In most cases, even if they want to fight it, they still can't do anything about it. Zynga has way more money and way more resources than pretty much any indie company. And that is the reason why I say that they have 3 developers and 2997 lawyers..because beating the little guy to a pulp seems to be their business model. If you don't sell the rights, you go bankrupt trying to fight them.
    I bet zynga-ceo stores all his games up on his loft.

I see what you did there.
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    gsokol wrote: »
    In most cases, even if they want to fight it, they still can't do anything about it. Zynga has way more money and way more resources than pretty much any indie company. And that is the reason why I say that they have 3 developers and 2997 lawyers..because beating the little guy to a pulp seems to be their business model. If you don't sell the rights, you go bankrupt trying to fight them.

Ofcourse, "bleed'em dry, boys!" unfortunately seems to be the modus operandi of Zynga. A sad practice indeed.
    I can only hope this age of cloning the shit out of each other will end soon, because it is seriously hurting our industry imho.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I'll make my stand against Zynga by continuing to not play and be baffled by their games.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph wrote: »
    edit: @roflness: Why would selling with royality retainment be a good idea? Why would any self respecting developer have their brainchild get unevitably raped by the likes of Zynga?

because unless the developers are giving away the game for free they are doing it as a commercial venture. And as such, one should always be open to the possibility of sale/merger/acquisition. This is a fundamental piece of most industries.

If you're a 3 man crew and have a product that a big company is interested in selling and retaining royalty rights is a much better situation than being cloned and left out in the cold. And we aren't just talking lawyers, we are also talking distribution, advertising.. none of which a 3 man team have.

And cloning will never go away its a symptom of a free market.
  • Drywall
    The sad part is that Zynga is seen by the world-at-large as being one of the more successful, original game companies. I don't think the world really cares whether they rip off other games or not.

I will continue building my Tiny Tower all the way to the heavens. I hope those 3 guys got that money while the money was good.
  • rolfness
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think you need to worry about Nimblebit -- they seem to be doing rather well.

Of course, I would also never play anything from Zynga.
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    So according to this article and the comments and the twitters Zynga tried to accquire Nimblebit - so it was pretty obvious that they wanted that game. When they got turned down they went ahead and made their own version of the game and didn't actually lift anything - all the UI and art is different and done from scratch.

It is no different than what every other facebook, mobile freemium title out there is doing. I don't know, it seems like there is a lot of high horse prentiousness / internet rage over this. Oh and a jab at GameLoft of course.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    It's one thing to make a game inspired by another game, it's another thing to clone it's game mechanics down to a tee. It's also not internet rage because it's happened just this once, it's internet rage because the marketing model here is literally 'rip off the little guy' followed by 'corner his market' followed by 'throw money at the legal situation because we're richer than them'. That's ignoring the instances of outright theft in the past.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hopefully Marashmonkey and crew look at it in a flattering manner and laugh at Zynga, and leave it at that. The passive-aggressive image is enough.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    It would work that way, in theory, but it won't in practice. The problem is the existing companies never have the resources to see it through to the end conclusion, which is why Zygna always settle out of court (they effectively force the smaller company).

It's like Sony's dirty tactic with the Ps3 homebrew scene legal battles. They didn't win in court; they forced settlement. They did this by creating suits in multiple countries, to force the individuals in question to constantly represent themselves in court across the globe - both financially ruining them, and of course physically draining them. It's hard to be anything other than exhausted if you need to be 9000km away from where you are for some pressing matter every other day.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    fmnoor wrote: »
    So according to this article and the comments and the twitters Zynga tried to accquire Nimblebit - so it was pretty obvious that they wanted that game. When they got turned down they went ahead and made their own version of the game and didn't actually lift anything - all the UI and art is different and done from scratch.

It is no different than what every other facebook, mobile freemium title out there is doing. I don't know, it seems like there is a lot of high horse prentiousness / internet rage over this. Oh and a jab at GameLoft of course.

Because there are the companies that know the law too well and knows how to traverse the dick-swamps of cloning, it's fully legal but can be very damaging PR-wise, which is something these companies will learn the hard way eventually.

It's basically as close as you can get towards plagiarism without actually doing anything illegal, it's fully natural of the internet to react this way, and in no way pretentious or unwarranted.

Any Gameloft connections will be hard to avoid due to their obvious involvement in these types of things, a situation they put themselves in.
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    So then where is the outrage at every other clone - or at Nimblebit's past app catalog, which are just variations of other pre-existing flash and mobile games?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you work for Zynga or Gameloft or something?
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    @ambershee, Is that supposed to be a legitimate rebuke of fmnoor's argument? You don't have to agree with him/her, but do try to be constructive with counterpoints.
  • gsokol
    fmnoor wrote: »
    So then where is the outrage at every other clone - or at Nimblebit's past app catalog, which are just variations of other pre-existing flash and mobile games?

Its not like this is the first time somebody ever noticed:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87012

I mean, sure, lots of games borrow from each other, but what they do is pretty blatent...shortly after a game hits a market, they make the exact same thing, put it on the same market, and use their marketing/word of mouth/brand muscle to smother the original one into oblivion. If the small company doesn't like it than they can either go bankrupt trying to fight in court or accept a small out of court settlement from zynga. Or they can do nothing and watch their sales go down in the toilet.
  • Julmust
    Please take a look at the response from the community:
    http://imgur.com/ajaYt
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Julmust wrote: »
    Please take a look at the response from the community:
    http://imgur.com/ajaYt

Pretty much the same comment as:

"But Minecraft was a clone of infiminer" whenever a pure carbon copy minecraft clone pops up and someone comments on it.

Sim tower, and corporation inc. and tiny tower are similar games, but quite different, dream heights is a pure copy with elements shifted around but gameplay nearly intact, this is the big difference.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Most of those game's are clones of the Skinner Box. At least that one, didn't have a monetization scheme attached to it :D!
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    eld wrote: »

"But Minecraft was a clone of infiminer" whenever a pure carbon copy minecraft clone pops up and someone comments on it.

Sim tower, and corporation inc. and tiny tower are similar games, but quite different, dream heights is a pure copy with elements shifted around but gameplay nearly intact, this is the big difference.

"War Hammer was cloned and made in to something virtual, that we call War craft."

Ofcourse every game that is copy and pasted is going to be similar, but very different. I love it when people use these 2 words loosely in one sentence. If they were similar but similar, than there will be no competition. Instead, there will be a serious law suite against the dev team who copied the game.

Its better not to start such arguments. Ofcourse some fans may regret this action, and give out negative reviews. The news will fly around for about a week to a month max, than no one will give a damn.

You can count games that were copied from other games, you can even whine about someone stole your game idea or you can improve your game and provide more to the players.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Most people lack the intelligence to know the difference between inspiration and theft. I'm pretty sure Zynga sat down and said "lets make Tiny Tower" judging from their track record.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Ofcourse every game that is copy and pasted is going to be similar, but very different. I love it when people use these 2 words loosely in one sentence. If they were similar but similar, than there will be no competition. Instead, there will be a serious law suite against the dev team who copied the game.

Which is why you can't copyright gameplay or ideas, just names and creations.

It's a double-edged sword, since you can have games that iterate on games to become better, but at the same time you will get games that are essentially the same game.
    Zynga is not trying to make a better game, they're selling what is essentially the same game but with more marketing to push it.

There are countless ways to improve on tiny tower, and people are not only free to do it, but they're even often encouraged to do so for healthy competition.
  • dissonance
    if they're outright stealing code, why not hide multiple backdoors in it? that way, if something you make is stolen verbatim, you can go in and shut it down manually. of course, they'll eventually work around this, but can you imagine Zynga trying to explain to hundreds or thousands of people why their latest facebook game was changed to a simple html page saying "stop copying my shit"?
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The problem with that "response", and a lot of the comments in this thread is that Nimblebit didn't actually complain about anything. They thanked Zynga and congratulated them.

Mostly it is just Nimblebit pointing out that their 3 guys are way better than Zynga's 2000+ and that if you want to play a game like that it's out already.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas wrote: »
    The problem with that "response", and a lot of the comments in this thread is that Nimblebit didn't actually complain about anything. They thanked Zynga and congratulated them.

Mostly it is just Nimblebit pointing out that their 3 guys are way better than Zynga's 2000+ and that if you want to play a game like that it's out already.

With quite some heavy sarcasm, they weren't genuinely thanking zynga :P

But true about it not being a complaint, just a general sarcastic and funny image.
  • Sunk
    That's tough, but that's business. Its no different from, say the competition between K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and Target. The three are virtually the same type of business. Just because Chips Ahoy makes chocolate chip cookies does that mean I would be ripping off Chips Ahoy if I made my own brand of cookies?; Sure, a video game is work of art but it is also a product.
  • cgmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    cgmonkey polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »

You just missed the point of what I posted. Royally.
  • sama.van
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, lets help Tiny's team ^___^

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dream-heights/id477752455?mt=8

One star !! and a kind comment o_<

Really dunno if Apple can be aware of it.
  • Mr_Paris
    Edit: Never mind I see that the image linked from imgur already pointed this out lol.