Home Technical Talk

lightmap combining

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
Hey Everyone, minor issue here. I currently have 5 diffuse textures and 5 lightmaps corresponding to the meshes used for the Diffuse, however I need to combine all of the lightmaps into 1 lightmap, while keeping the 5 seperate diffuse maps.

Currently each set of meshes has two uv channels one for diffuse and the other for the lightmap. Can I attach everything in the scene together and go to uv channel 02 re-uv the entire scene without merging the meshes uv channel 01 together? Or can I detach the meshes after the lightmap merge is performed and then they will have the original uvs for channel 01?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. Any thoughts would be of great help. Thanks!

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    What sodtware are you using?

If it's maya then that is no problem, in Max I'm not sure if it does it automatically after merging, but I think you have to give it a multi-sub material so different faces of the same object have different materials.

Before merging I would also offset the UVS in channel one by one unit it U or V corresponding to each diffuse map so they are easier to select, and less confusing if they are all overlapping eachother. Because the texture reapeats the diffuse will be mapped the same as you're used to, but it will just just be logically separated.

Also, in Maya if you want the objects to stay separated, you can just select all of them, and you will see all their UVs in the editor (make sure you select the 2nd channel for each object) and lay them out how you want without needing to merge.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    Also, in Maya if you want the objects to stay separated, you can just select all of them, and you will see all their UVs in the editor (make sure you select the 2nd channel for each object) and lay them out how you want without needing to merge.

Same thing in Max 2012. Unwrap modifier now supports multiple objects at once.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I'm using Max. Yea I went ahead and tried to merge all of the objects together, but when I go to uv channel 2 the scene crashes. I'll try just selecting them and see what happens. Thanks a lot!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If crashing, try to clear out extra data by using Reset Xform and collapsing the modifier stacks.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks a lot for the help. Since I didn't have to attach all of the meshes together that worked.