Home General Discussion

mass effect 3

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rolfness polycounter lvl 18
a little bird tells me its going to come out on Origin first..

a couple of questions... will it be coming out on steam too?

and wasnt 3 meant to use the save games of 2 to continue the story with the choices you made?

major poo if you ask me...

EDIT sorry if theres a ME 3 thread going already...

please close it if there is..

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Nope, no Steam version as far as I can tell...who knows, that might change.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84074

Your save game from Mass Effect 2 will carry over unless Shepard
    died on the suicide mission
    . Just like from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2. You'll be able to play Mass Effect > Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect 3 all with the same character decisions.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    It's funny, but I finished ME1 and changed computer between that and ME2, so I started ME2 without the save. And just a couple of weeks ago I got yet another computer, and lost my ME2 saves. So I guess I won't have it for ME3.

So for those of you that have actually carried over a save, what do you actually get for having a save from a previous game? How does it influence the current game?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I think the crux of rolfness's post is... If there's no Steam version (cause EA seems to love FORCING people to use their system) Then you won't be able to carry on with decisions made in prior games.

Unless it's a simple matter of copying/pasting files but I doubt that highly. It didn't work for XBox360 people either. "You're playing on a new console? ... How dare you!"
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    It's funny, but I finished ME1 and changed computer between that and ME2, so I started ME2 without the save. And just a couple of weeks ago I got yet another computer, and lost my ME2 saves. So I guess I won't have it for ME3.

So for those of you that have actually carried over a save, what do you actually get for having a save from a previous game? How does it influence the current game?

it affects the story, the characters (the ones that died or survived), side mission characters. It actually affects a lot. Now that i look back on it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Asherr wrote: »
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84074

Your save game from Mass Effect 2 will carry over unless Shepard
    died on the suicide mission
    . Just like from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2. You'll be able to play Mass Effect > Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect 3 all with the same character decisions.

I hear a vicious rumour that to use a character from ME2 you have to buy the $18 action figure that comes with the appropriate DLC for that character.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Asherr.. now have to go find my saved games.. I hope I still have them somewhere..

hmm I might replay 2 actually..
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Kingdoms of Amalur have a Steam Version. I own mass effect 1 & 2 in steam, but i highly doubt ME3 it will be on steam. The Demo will be launched on february 14 and we could play co-op!

I need to finish ME2 but i'm without time to play games :(
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I remember completing ME1, then doing ME1 again with all the opposite choices (but you could still level the same character further). So when it came to ME2 I had a guy who made all the choices I didn't want to make. Later on when I was set to play again on hardest difficulty I noticed there was a DLC which I'm sure was cheap that let you watch a very short comic thing where you got to choose your choices again and start ME2 that way.

I'm guessing the same thing will be there for ME3, and probably everyone who has it on PC will have to pay for the DLC if it's on origin and not steam.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I own mass effect 1 & 2 in steam, but i highly doubt ME3 it will be on steam.

dude it has to come out on steam. did they officially say anything regarding that?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe there is a Steam purchasebale version, but you still have to install and activate it on Origin.
  • [demonplay]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h254YRtQoJU&"]Mass Effect 3: Special Forces Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

I wasn't sold on the multiplayer aspect on me3 but they've made it pretty shiny, might be pretty neat.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Mass Effect 3 is NOT coming to steam. It will be on Gamersgate/whatever else but you will need Origin to play.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/16/mass-effect-3-isnt-launching-on-steam-requires-origin/
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The main advantage I saw from transferring characters, is not having to start with $0.

Didn't make a huge difference, as there wasnt' a significant grind in this game.

The disadvantage, is who died, and who you slept with. I'd imagine if you played a new game from scratch, all characters would still be alive, and all sex options would still be available.

I think it's really for the hardcore Role Players that are really into staying 'in-character'
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Many people are going to jump into this game as the first they play in the series.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    The main advantage I saw from transferring characters, is not having to start with $0.

Didn't make a huge difference, as there wasnt' a significant grind in this game.

The disadvantage, is who died, and who you slept with. I'd imagine if you played a new game from scratch, all characters would still be alive, and all sex options would still be available.

I think it's really for the hardcore Role Players that are really into staying 'in-character'

If it follows the usual style that ME1->ME2 had, you'll be picking major plot choices via questions during the start of the game, loading a save is way more immersive.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Mass Effect 3 is NOT coming to steam. It will be on Gamersgate/whatever else but you will need Origin to play.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/16/mass-effect-3-isnt-launching-on-steam-requires-origin/

Then i will have to think twice about buying it, shame and i actually like ME a lot, but that whole origin shizznit is starting to get on my nerves..
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I think the crux of rolfness's post is... If there's no Steam version (cause EA seems to love FORCING people to use their system) Then you won't be able to carry on with decisions made in prior games.

Unless it's a simple matter of copying/pasting files but I doubt that highly. It didn't work for XBox360 people either. "You're playing on a new console? ... How dare you!"

The save files are stored in your my documents folder. they have nothing to do with steam. The save format is the same regardless of where you bought the game so there is no way that EA could stop you from importing your save... why on earth would they?
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I'm amazed about all the people saying NO I won't play it because it's on Origin. Really??? You've loved the previous 2 games and because it's on Origin, you are going to miss out on the Epic conclusion of the saga? WOW. Well, to each their own.

In my case, I don't care if you could only run it in Linux I would install and figure that shit out in order to play it.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    David-J wrote: »
    I'm amazed about all the people saying NO I won't play it because it's on Origin. Really??? You've loved the previous 2 games and because it's on Origin, you are going to miss out on the Epic conclusion of the saga? WOW. Well, to each their own.

In my case, I don't care if you could only run it in Linux I would install and figure that shit out in order to play it.
    They could always pirate it?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    meh. I love Steam, but Origin is pure hate. As much as I love Bioware, it won't be the end of the world if I miss ME3...
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    meh. I love Steam, but Origin is pure hate. As much as I love Bioware, it won't be the end of the world if I miss ME3...

Out of curiosity, what do you hate about Origin?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I only dealt with the web interface once, and that was a rather cumbersome experience. I'm not in the US or EU so I get the feeling the thing was biased towards me ;)

The client itself scans your computer and submits not clearly specified data to EA. To me that doesn't make it any better than let's say Bonzi Buddy. I'm not putting any spyware, from EA or anyone else, on my PC.
    Not sure if Origin also implements a DRM where you have to be always online, but if it does, then it doesn't work for me in any case, regardless of any other issues.

I just don't agree with the practice they're implementing and I don't want to encourage them by giving them my money. Same thing with Ubi. Unfortunately my wallet is my only way to let them know I don't approve of their ways :(
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if Origin also implements a DRM where you have to be always online, but if it does, then it doesn't work for me in any case, regardless of any other issues.

It doesn't, but I still need Origin like I need keyloggers and adware. Not to mention, I really don't need yet another process running in the background for each and every publisher out there.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just don't agree with the practice they're implementing and I don't want to encourage them by giving them my money. Same thing with Ubi. Unfortunately my wallet is my only way to let them know I don't approve of their ways :(

I'm of a similar mind. After the 'from dust' DRM bullshit I'm not going to buy any more of their titles.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You do realize that if you read Steam's TOS they also collect tons of data. I don't think people are aware of this and they think Origin only does that.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the difference being you'll get a little pop-up from steam asking you if you'd like to participate in their hardware survey, which you can choose to decline and then carry on playing your games. In order to decline EA's scan you would have to choose to "Not Agree" with the TOS and therefore not install/use Origin.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to be in the clear, from one who love Mass Effect, I will not buy it on Origin.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the difference being you'll get a little pop-up from steam asking you if you'd like to participate in their hardware survey, which you can choose to decline and then carry on playing your games. In order to decline EA's scan you would have to choose to "Not Agree" with the TOS and therefore not install/use Origin.

That is not true. THe moment you agree the TOS you are allowing Valve to collect that info. http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

That aside does anyone know who voices male Shepard? I saw the latest trailer and they show everyone but him.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mean the general account usage, plays X game for X hours, everybody dies in the same spot, Canadians want a tf2 hockey hat type stuff but the actual random physical scanning of your pc not only for hardware but software as well. Now according to wikipedia it may have been removed, it no longer appears to be in the TOS as well so maybe they've stopped doing that which would be great if we lived in a world where we could historically trust EA, and surely some other reason to hate them will ignite Kotaku headlines by the end of the day.

Personally I just have no wish to support their efforts to strong-arm their way into the market with exclusive bullshit (you don't need to install Origin on your console), so if that means I can't play a couple games on pc, well I've got plenty of others to play anyway.

RE Shepard http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1035752/
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just installed Origin and have been monitoring the process. so far its keeping to itself. the only file access its doing is with the origin folder.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Female shepard here. Woohoo.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The difference with steam is that it's a platform open to all publishers, while origin is a closed platform so a single publisher can elbow their way into the digital distribution market because they're too greedy to pay valve for their service.

Now this is my personal opinion but to me Origin right now looks like a DRM scheme with a store tacked on top, while Steam seems to be the exact opposite.

If EA really wanted to innovate and create a viable competitor to Steam, I'd give Origin a try, but the way it looks right now, combined with the privacy fiasco that happened, they don't get my support for that. PLus I'm opposed to the authentication on top of authentication on top of authentication crap that's going on (shame on you Steam - that's one thing where you're disappointing me :( ) So I wouldn't even get it if it were on Steam. I'm sick of this (I hate you too, Fable III & Windows Games!).

I don't really have a beef with EA though. My studio works closely with them, many of my friends work for EA and I love many of their games. It's just that I disagree where their distribution strategy is leading them.
  • sulkyrobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    Seems another Mass Effect is in development but this time they've moved to DICE's Frostbite - http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/12/an-update-from-bioware-montreal/
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Lordy almighty, they're really pulling the magic angle with the entire Element Zero chemical being the cure all to all.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    meh my xbox died half way through ME3. sucks
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »

That's a good thing, you didn't get to see the ending.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Who ever the female lead character in the new one is, I hope its voiced by the same person who did Fem Shep. She is fantastic!
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Ruz wrote: »

I was worried my Xbox would red ring before I finished the series. I just knew in the great somewhere out there, some poor unfortunate soul would have this happen to them. I'm sorry you were the one to get the short straw *butreallygladitwasntme* :shifty:
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Karmageddon - yeah managed to fix it with various internet tricks, like putting a q tip in the fans or keeping your finger on the cd eject then forcing the tray back in. it actually worked for a while but now its completelky gone grr
    Tempted to buy another one from ebay
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Who ever the female lead character in the new one is, I hope its voiced by the same person who did Fem Shep. She is fantastic!

She's Jennifer Hale. The woman's a legend.
    She's been in so many games its insane.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working my way through ME2 as biotic fem shepard at the moment almost time to go through the Omega 4 relay