Home Technical Talk

Max 2012 n00b Questions - Rendering Sheen and Blackhole Polys

Novian
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Novian polycounter lvl 5
Dear Polycounters,

I've got another (what I'm sure will be a) fairly simple question for you.

I am a complete n00b to Max 2012. After using Max 9 for years I am slowly learning all the shiny new features. The other day I was attempting to take some beauty renders of a finished client piece that I got back from the texture artist.

I have noticed two strange issues.

First when I load the model (.obj format) right away I see what looks like inverted normals. However after checking the model I find that they are not inverted but are rather "black holes" for lack of a better term. Any idea as to what is causing this?

(See Fig. 1)

CrazyMax1.jpg

Secondly, when I take a render from a distance everything looks good. When I attempt to render closer I get this odd effect over the model that looks like a grey sheen all over. After some back and forth with the textures and zooming the camera in and out I find that it does appear to be a camera distance issue. This is my main question; what is causing this?

(See Fig.2 and Fig.3)

CrazyMax2.jpg

CrazyMax3.jpg

As for the materials it is a Multi-Sub with a straight Bitmap in the Diff channel for Slots 1 and 2, thats all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers~

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    no idea on the render front but the first thing I'd do is add a turn to poly modifier, fix any resulting weirdness, scale it all to a sensible size and reset xforms on everything. if it still does weird things after that then you've eliminated the basics at least.
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    @poopipe: Thanks for your advice. The Turn to Poly did indeed resolve the poly weirdness however the sheen issue remains. I have reset x form, scaled the mesh huge and small all to no effect.

One suggestion was that it may be my material set up. I am totally new to the whole node based mapping however it is very similar to UDK so I think I've got a handle on it. Just in case, attached is my material set up. Have I missed something?

CrazyMax4.jpg

Any other suggestions gents / ladies? I really need to fix this as I am revamping ye old portfolio.

Much appreciated.

Cheers~