Home Technical Talk

ZBrush 4R2 & R2b: Noisemaker broken!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tristamus polycounter lvl 9
Hey there guys.

I've been doing forum searches and google searches for days, and can only find threads that are no longer available, and only in google's cache, about this problem.

I've even completely uninstalled and reinstalled zBrush, DON'T have a pirated version, and just don't get it.

I recently just updated to ZBrush4R2b, and that doesn't fix this problem either.

Every time I go to turn on "Noise" under the surface tab, I get an immediate crash in ZBrush.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64Bit, and it definitely USED to work just fine.

It doesn't matter what tool I'm using either - It doesn't care, just crashes every time.

I REALLY WOULD like to use noisemaker =(

Anyone else come across this problem before? And if so, have a solution?

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Noisemaker is not in R2B... it's written, right in the manual...
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excuse my mistake...I am talking about the noise function, under the surface subpalette. I am no longer able to do any kind of surface noise generation or previewing!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it is, I'm using it right now. Under Surface/Noise. The window that pops up says Noisemaker at the top. I think there's going to be a new plugin version coming soon that the manual is refering to.

tristamus: Have you contacted pixo's help center about it? Unfortunatley it may just be a case of your particular hardware not likeing it. I also have Win 764 + 8gigs of ram and it works fine for me, but every now and then the move and masking tools cause Zb to completely freeze up and the only way out is to hardboot my pc. Just one of those things.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I read on ZBCentral that it should be out in a few weeks.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it is, I'm using it right now. Under Surface/Noise. The window that pops up says Noisemaker at the top. I think there's going to be a new plugin version coming soon that the manual is refering to.

tristamus: Have you contacted pixo's help center about it? Unfortunatley it may just be a case of your particular hardware not likeing it. I also have Win 764 + 8gigs of ram and it works fine for me, but every now and then the move and masking tools cause Zb to completely freeze up and the only way out is to hardboot my pc. Just one of those things.

Hey there Scudz,

Yeah! I contacted Pixologic Support and sent a ticket in two days ago, but no answer as of yet...

Aha, I knew it was called Noisemaker >D

It's very strange. My PC spec has always been compatible with zbrush, it's only recently that I'm getting problems with these newer versions of zbrush.

I have 2x 9800M GT's and 4GB of ram, 2.4ghz Dual core as well, it should be just fine...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Noise maker functionality has been there since Z4R2, it's just not fully complete. You can add and adjust noise, have it go by the UVs, and use an alpha.

The crashing is not something I've experienced before though. Do you find your version of zbrush to be stable when using the Current Tool Preview (draw palette) or the object preview (tool palette)?
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Noise maker functionality has been there since Z4R2, it's just not fully complete. You can add and adjust noise, have it go by the UVs, and use an alpha.

The crashing is not something I've experienced before though. Do you find your version of zbrush to be stable when using the Current Tool Preview (draw palette) or the object preview (tool palette)?

Hey there Cryrid,

I checked just now, and yes, it functions flawlessly in that respect. I have no other errors or glitches in ZBrush other than this case, which is infuriating for me as an environment artist lol...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've had quite a lot of dealings with their support system over the last few years and would say the average wait on a response is about 3 working days. its release week as well so I wouldn't be surprised if you were waiting a bit longer..
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe wrote: »
    I've had quite a lot of dealings with their support system over the last few years and would say the average wait on a response is about 3 working days. its release week as well so I wouldn't be surprised if you were waiting a bit longer..

Good to know, thanks Poopipe.
  • gabo1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have not heard of anyone else running into this. Does this happen with every model? Can you share a model that this happens to you with?
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gabo1991 wrote: »
    have not heard of anyone else running into this. Does this happen with every model? Can you share a model that this happens to you with?

Hey there,

As I said, no matter what tool I use, it still crashes ZBrush completely. I've uninstalled fully, reinstalled, and now have updated to R2b, to no avail the problem persists....

Pixologic support has contacted me, saying...

"I have no idea what might be causing that issue. I'm on Win 7 Pro 64-bit as well and do not have this issue. Since you said you have reinstalled ZBrush, I don't know.

I'm assigning your ticket to a member of the development team who might have some suggestions.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Matthew Yetter
    Pixologic ZBrush Support Manager"

So....I'm not sure what that means. I guess I need to wait longer =[[
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem fixed.

Solution: After uninstalling zbrush, do not leave any remnants of it in your Program Files folder. Delete the entire pixologic folder from your program files, then re-install.
  • heinschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, been having the same problem with the noise function on the burshes. what I've found works is if you start zbrush with a simple ztool like a cube, select the brush you want to use the noise on, enable it, set the noise settings and click apply. Then load the ztool you're working on that keeps crashing. seems to be working my side.
    Running i7, 18bg ram win 7 64 pro zb 4R2b soon upgrading to 4R3. I couldnt understand why it kept crashing, this workaround works for now, but the problem might creep up again. good luck
  • twuyoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've faced the same issue ...
    And now it has been fixed as Tristamus way. Thanks!!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twuyoshi wrote: »
    I've faced the same issue ...
    And now it has been fixed as Tristamus way. Thanks!!

Great! Glad to hear that.
  • Yankov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing is working for me :( I tried what Tristamus said but It is not fixing the problem. By the way I've got that problem in Zbrush 4R6
  • TineTine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yankov wrote: »
    Nothing is working for me :( I tried what Tristamus said but It is not fixing the problem. By the way I've got that problem in Zbrush 4R6

I am having the same problem. Zbrush 4R6 immediately crashed when i click on surface>noise. Does anyone know how to fix this? The problem remain after reinstalling like Tristamus said. :poly122:
  • sogun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sogun polycounter lvl 17
    Gentlemen,

The solution is very simple. I got really desperate - after reading the official troubleshooting forums, where users got a TIP that reinstall might work = SHOTGUN THERAPY or Flamethrower therapy, whichever you like - that I have to re-install ZB4 R6 after I spent so much time configuring it right. :) Also I do not like to "kill" an installation when a program is working very nicely using its other functions.

So lookie what I have found:

1. You have to go to your users folder on Win7 "C:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData" or on Win XP to All Users folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ZBrushData"

2. Wherever you go, you have to locate a directory called: ZBrushData

3. Save your ZB4R6 config first*

4. Delete this directory. Probably Deleting only sub-directories here works just fine, like saving Preferences and ZStartup somewhere then try copying them back.

5. Start your ZB4 R6 again, load the model you wanted furiously to SURFACE-NOISED and you will see that now even Noiseplug works and alphas too, everything in Surface works like in a Zbrush Heaven.

6. I successfully applied noise to the mesh, saved the project, reloaded, surface-noised the model again no matter what I did, the program just worked like a charm.

I vehemently deleted this directory (shotgun therapy) and the next time I launched ZB4R6 I got the default UI with default colors, no Hotkeys so You have been warned! :D
  • itaibachar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itaibachar polycounter lvl 8
    sogun wrote: »
    Gentlemen,

The solution is very simple. I got really desperate - after reading the official troubleshooting forums, where users got a TIP that reinstall might work = SHOTGUN THERAPY or Flamethrower therapy, whichever you like - that I have to re-install ZB4 R6 after I spent so much time configuring it right. :) Also I do not like to "kill" an installation when a program is working very nicely using its other functions.

So lookie what I have found:

1. You have to go to your users folder on Win7 "C:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData" or on Win XP to All Users folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ZBrushData"

2. Wherever you go, you have to locate a directory called: ZBrushData

3. Save your ZB4R6 config first*

4. Delete this directory. Probably Deleting only sub-directories here works just fine, like saving Preferences and ZStartup somewhere then try copying them back.

5. Start your ZB4 R6 again, load the model you wanted furiously to SURFACE-NOISED and you will see that now even Noiseplug works and alphas too, everything in Surface works like in a Zbrush Heaven.

6. I successfully applied noise to the mesh, saved the project, reloaded, surface-noised the model again no matter what I did, the program just worked like a charm.

I vehemently deleted this directory (shotgun therapy) and the next time I launched ZB4R6 I got the default UI with default colors, no Hotkeys so You have been warned! :D
    Wow thanks!
    Me too was frustrated by this.
  • brandybuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone!

So I see this thread is a couple years old. But I got this issue in November 2015 on Zbrush 4R7 P3 x64. When I tried to load up noisemaker it would crash my Zbrush, sometimes with an error, sometimes without.

I localised the issue, due to the advice on this forum, to a single file. By renaming the file, I didn't notice anything drastic change in my user interface or setup, so thankfully I didn't have to remake my UI over again. Here's what I did.

Look for this file:
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData\ZStartup\ConfigFiles\ZBrushCustomUISize.cfg

Rename the file by adding a letter to the end, or moving it, or deleting.

Bam. Now the problem should be fixed. I assume Zbrush will remake the file if you update your config.
  • vertex_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertex_ polycounter lvl 7
    Hello everyone!

So I see this thread is a couple years old. But I got this issue in November 2015 on Zbrush 4R7 P3 x64. When I tried to load up noisemaker it would crash my Zbrush, sometimes with an error, sometimes without.

I localised the issue, due to the advice on this forum, to a single file. By renaming the file, I didn't notice anything drastic change in my user interface or setup, so thankfully I didn't have to remake my UI over again. Here's what I did.

Look for this file:
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\ZBrushData\ZStartup\ConfigFiles\ZBrushCustomUISize.cfg

Bam. Now the problem should be fixed. I assume Zbrush will remake the file if you update your config.
    Thanks for the fix, this issue has occurred on both my personal computer and at work...
  • Chris096
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone!
    Thank you it worked, but my user interface was oversized. So I just change the value from 39 to 38 in notepad (ZBrushCustomUISize.cfg) and now my UI interface is perfect and I can use the noise plugin without any problem, no more crash.
  • Maths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Look for this file:

Thanks so much, problem solved :proud:
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Just ran into the exact same issue, and indeed, renaming CustomUISize.cfg to something else fixed it.
    So, just wanted to chime in to confirm that the fix works. Thanks again @brandybuck .