Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Scott Neill

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
It's been a year, time for round TWO !

www.scott-neill.net

Looking for feedback on pretty much anything you guys can come up with. Currently looking to break into the industry so please be constructive : )

I HAVEN'T CHANGE THE HEADER GRAPHIC YET - i will be removing the "demo reel" tab as i will not be making one

Replies

• wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your treasure chest and the boombox need to go.
    Compared to your awesome lambo, they are nowhere near the same level..
    I am also building a folio of my own to break in so I know what you are going through now.. Keep it up, man!!!
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Your portfolio is not competitive in its current state. You need to choose more challenging subject matter, both the boom box and treasure chest are too simple. The spec and normal maps on the boom box and treasure chest are doing absolutely nothing, and 2048s? The way your light and present your models is extremely important. The lambo is nice, but you need more modeling examples. Also the white/blue/orange color scheme of the website is not terribly appealing, maybe try going for a darker and more harmonious palette? Maybe a sans-serif font would look a little nicer? Keep in mind you are trying to sell yourself as an artist. Also, unless you are an animator or effects artist you don't need a demo reel. Your three screenshots of the lambo tell me everything I need to know about your modeling abilities.

The job market is getting very specialized. You need to focus your portfolio on a particular facet - do you want to be an environment modeler? a vehicle modeler? a prop modeler? If you want to do environments make an entire scene. Model it, texture it, make the shaders, light it, sprinkle in some effects, get it into UDK. Show some hard surface as well as Zbrush sculpts. If you want to do vehicles you need to show a lot more examples, and more variety. Same thing with props, pick more challenging things to model to show off your skills.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @wasabi - good luck to you too then : P

@Paul Pepera - what do you mean by more modeling examples? more shots/breakdowns of that piece or just more complex projects in general? and i hear you on the colour scheme lol, i was trying to stay away from the oh so common dark shades but i think i might have to rethink it.

About the demo reel, i was thinking that but i also always hear people looking for one... hopefully i get more feedback from others

and i have started a new vehicle today : ) i find i can get them done faster then a common prop because i spend too much time figuring out what to model when a vehicle all i need is some blueprints and im good to go. (but being a "vehicle modeller" is that being too specialized? wouldn't it still be good to produce other types of models?
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to replace most of my work with newer stuff. Still looking for feedback on anything.

How do you guys feel about the program logo's at the top of each project to represent what programs were used in the making of each project?

known problems so far:
    -demo reel tab needs to be removed
    -site layout is proper in Firefox, but stacks wrong in Internet Explorer
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's nothing wrong with having a specialization and focusing on a specific type of model, especially if you are more comfortable or skilled with that type.

One thing you might want to consider is a model created from a concept sketch - many game companies rely heavily upon modellers being able to turn sketches into assets.

You should also look into separating the portfolio, using thumbnails on the main page to link to individual pages for each project. This will also give you a chance to put a brief description for each model, highlighting special features or problems you overcame. (I know - that's boring writing stuff and artists like to focus on... well... ART, but many companies appreciate strong communication skills.) The current portfolio page seems a bit cluttered.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    glock and cars look nice. you could try adding rim light to the gun to give it more eye candy.

tile texture doesn't look very convincing to me. normal map details are so rough that it feels like plaster and dirt on spec/diffuse seems like it was taken from a concrete wall.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    I would take Paul's advice to heart. He pretty much just handed you a map of how to compete and get a job in the game industry. Also, no you don't need more break downs, (three well lit renders of your models is enough) and yes more complex models like the reference below, (if you don't like the ref, build a hind helicopter... car engine, something similar) It has a ton of interesting, and down right beautiful shapes. Just as important, hard to model shapes. The more challenging the model, the more impressed perspective employers are. Just to clear this up, "vehicle modeller". Its really nice to see a portfolio with a clear purpose. It shows you have drive, interest, and direction in a field of study. It also stands to reason that if you can build jets, helicopters, tanks etc. you can build props and the like. Seriously, just follow the map.

tumblr_lf7phv0MA31qzjxnwo1_500.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    You should also look into separating the portfolio, using thumbnails on the main page to link to individual pages for each project.

The current portfolio page seems a bit cluttered.
    That's how I use to have it, but i kind of like it all on one page. I find a lot of portfolio's are this way. I didn't think it was cluttered :(

Blaisoid wrote: »
    tile texture doesn't look very convincing to me. normal map details are so rough that it feels like plaster and dirt on spec/diffuse seems like it was taken from a concrete wall.
    Perfect, so smooth out the normal map a bit and rework the dirt on spec/diffuse gotcha :)

I would take Paul's advice to heart.

Just to clear this up, "vehicle modeller". Its really nice to see a portfolio with a clear purpose. It shows you have drive, interest, and direction in a field of study. It also stands to reason that if you can build jets, helicopters, tanks etc. you can build props and the like. Seriously, just follow the map.
    I took his advice for sure, I replaced half of my portfolio's content. But im not convinced myself that I want to be a "vehicle modeller" I also really enjoy modeling props like the Glock and im currently working on a Left 4 Dead safe room door. Inspired by wi_2's thread, I will be adding in a small portion of a floor on the interior side and some sort of environment on the exterior side, a very small turnaround table type of deal.

So I think I will keep my portfolio balanced between vehicle and prop unless that is a terrible idea? And i'll make sure my next project consists of plenty of interesting and beautiful shapes. :)

thanks everyone, keep em' coming!