polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
EDIT: Update:

rqvvkn.jpg

oh95pl.jpg

2v13x2e.jpg

4lsltd.jpg

Hey, been a while since ive worked on a full character so decided for the new year to start working on a female character.

The character is Baiken from Guilty Gear, however I will be straying away from the anime style of the character and trying to go for something more realistic.

Heres the character for those that don't know her.

Baiken-1.jpg

And here's what I have so far regarding proportions. I don't want to start working on the cloth/accessories and skin detail until i've nailed the proportions first.

14y4zzl.jpg

2iqdc79.jpg

Ive tried to keep a lot of the curvature in there so that her female aspects as easily recognised whilst also trying to make her look toned so she has some athletic ability (probably hindered by the breasts but then I dont think the character would be the same without them :poly124:)

Im open to all feedback as I want this to be a portfolio piece so really nailing the proportions and fabric is crucial.

Cheers :)

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Baiken is my favorite GG character. :)

First thing that jumps out at me is her pelvis. The shape is kind of off, lacking definition in front, and the butt is stretching way too high up. I think making a realistic version of her could be cool, but your model is very ordinary at the moment which might just make her look like a regular person cosplaying. Maybe pushing the proportions and looks to something more "supermodel" would be more effective?
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    probably dont have to go as far as supermodel but certainly adjusting the proportions could be more appealing in my opinion. example
    bajPO.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    dans paintover makes anatomical sense to me and doesnt mess with the feel of the character at all.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Going to be watching this closely man, interested to see how you tackle this!!

IMO youve set yourself one hell of a challenge, ive spent years analysing this style of designs and breaking them down ( especially female characters ) in an effort to find out why they just 'work' and what I came up with was the fact that everythings always in harmony with everything else.

Proportions, pose, persona, fashion, overall stylisation and a very key aspect especially for females - accesorisation.

I always found when I messed with these things - the design starts falling apart, and I didnt have the skill to plug the hole.

That being said, your a beast and you do sick work so I literally cant wait to see how you go :D
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback, especially the paintover. I think in the last day ive learned a lot more about the female hips and butt than in the last couple of years.

The character on Haiken's site (Sydney) has given me a lot of inspiration regarding the curvature of my character and I agree I definitely need to accentuate the curves. Im hoping that this character helps develop my knowledge of the female silhouette and anatomy better.

Heres an update, the main changes being the hips, buttocks and thighs as well as elongation of the legs to give her a more athletic look.

21myzj6.jpg
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    That's looking better. Pelvis could still use some more work though. I'd link some reference images, but they're all not work safe! I recommend taking a look at some more nude pelvises. One thing you could try is to avoid an acute V shape to the crotch as that tends to be more masculine. Something wider would work better.

Here's a good ref pic for the back: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qnr9Th-L4hY/TYyI0n50peI/AAAAAAAAB3g/UgiBXTKndQ8/s1600/bikini.jpg

Notice the shape the scapula makes on top.

There's something odd to me about how the arms are coming off the body. Her upper torso (below the shoulders) also feels very wide, both in front and side view. The rib cage is smaller up top so the mass shouldn't be too wide. Her feet are looking kind of big too. :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The arms look a bit long to me.

And I think the arms look a bit wierd coming off the body, because the bicep shape is a bit unnatural at the top.

Really nice start!

:)
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Amazing work so far. I can't wait to see the progress. I find this kind of style is really hard work with
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love me some Baiken, put in way too many hours playing her on guilty gear x2 at uni:S agree on the hips, i think its important to find where the illiac crest is gonna go and everything kind of slots into place around that, its looks like its a bit too low down and to the side on your model currently. The scapulas look a little smallas well
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback. It seems as though i've spent a lot of the time making small changes to try and improve on the overall form. The smallest change affects the silhouette dramatically.

symr6e.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This is going fantastic!

Couple of things stand out to me:

When arms are straight and dropped down, the hand is supposed to cover the crotch. right now it looks like the hand would be past the crotch area.

Also (not sure if this is intentional), but with the size of her head in relation to the body, she looks like she's about 5'2" tall. If you made her head a biiit smaller, she would have the typical cartoon proportions.
  • Doubles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with haikai absolutely.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAdcCBhkKJU&feature=related"]Bar Refaeli - Shoot Grenadines - YouTube[/ame]

You should watch more video footage of the female body. Victoria's Secret models do the trick :). Imo the problem in the whole sculpting process is that the different frequencies of the form are stacked together and are hard to percieve. Typically the high frequency details tend to hide the low freqency nature of the form from your eye. Even with the higher frequency details already on the model, pump up to a large brush size and try to figure out more low freq stuff all over the body. Supermodel bodies are a great example of how the overall cohesion of the proportions work together. It is a popular pick, but guaranteed it will work. Also it is always good to preselect the character by a real reference that you stick to, I don't know this particular GG char, if you go stylized with this, I can't really give any advice on that.

What I see:

Between the pelvis and the ribcage things look off.
    At the arms the biceps, triceps, deltoid, and the elbow look to disjointed from each other. Try to capture the overlaping frequencies and think overall of the arm.
    haikai wrote: »
    Baiken is my favorite GG character. :)

First thing that jumps out at me is her pelvis. The shape is kind of off, lacking definition in front, and the butt is stretching way too high up. I think making a realistic version of her could be cool, but your model is very ordinary at the moment which might just make her look like a regular person cosplaying. Maybe pushing the proportions and looks to something more "supermodel" would be more effective?
  • Fryght
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will be watching this thread closely, as I always played Baiken :D

Also, first thing I noticed is that she has one arm too many :p
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    great start dude :) I did a quick liquify/paintover, I think your boobies could do with being lowered a bit and some added weight aswell, you might want to go bigger, but thats personal pref haha. I also noticed the clavicles are rolling too far back and some more emphasis on the rib cage and hour glass or pear physique may help.

baj_singh_female_paintover_001.gif

body-shape.gif
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    The legs seem to be far too short, which makes the arms look odd in comparison. Perhaps you could scale up everything below her waist?
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    If your following the concept, your gonna be covering this thing with 90% cloth. Dont nit pick anatomy your just going to trash.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    stimpack wrote: »
    If your following the concept, your gonna be covering this thing with 90% cloth. Dont nit pick anatomy your just going to trash.

I think it's always nice to have an accurate and pleasing body underneath to build clothes on to. Otherwise it becomes odd trying to reshape the clothing if you decide to edit proportions later. Besides, it's good practice. :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for all the crit:
    f your following the concept, your gonna be covering this thing with 90% cloth. Dont nit pick anatomy your just going to trash.

Pretty much mirroring what haikai, its very good practice and it helps me wrap the cloth around the character more accurately. The amount i've learned from the feedback in this thread and the iterations of the character are invaluable and worth the time spent.

Following Wawes advice. i've spent a lot of time looking at swimwear models (for work reasons of course :shifty:) to try and improve the figure even more. Again a lot of tweaking to the base with the main differences being the arm length, head size and distance between bottom of ribs, waist and pelvis.

Its slow progress, but im learning a lot from it and I should have an easier time with any female characters in the future.

15p4z84.jpg
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Cool beans. I'm a fighting game nut so it's always cool to see people doing stuff like this. Compared to other IPs I can't think of many 3D renditions of Guilty Gear characters, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

As for the model I think the torso looks good now, but I feel there's something ever so slightly off about the shape of the legs, and there's still something odd about the proportions of her limbs that I can't quite put my finger on. I like the overall look of the body though, she looks athletic, and more or less realistic, but kind of nudged a tiny bit towards stylization. Looking forward to seeing how/if this'll carry over to her outfit, hair and accessories.

I'm kind of unsure about her face though. I know you're not intending to mimic the style of the original artwork very closely, but at this point there's nothing really about her face that would make me think this is supposed to be Baiken. I have no idea how much time you've spent on her face, but I think it could be a good idea to consider looking over some references and seeing if you can identify any facial features etc that you could replicate while still maintaining the more realistic style. Facial expression, hair, pose, and all that other stuff will of course impact how much she'll look and feel like Baiken in the end, but it may be worth giving some thought at least. As Haikai mentioned there can be sort of a risk of the model coming across as a person dressing up as the character, as opposed to it being the actual character, so maybe pushing the stylization of the face a little farther might be something to consider as well.
  • IAmTopper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobody else has pointed this out and this being a key component of her character I'm sort of surprised but....Baiken only has one arm. I realize you might be sculpting symmetrically just to start but you're gonna wanna remove that arm soon in order to keep the design balanced as it is in the original.
    I think you should invest time into the details of how her muscles would develop in order to compensate for fighting with one arm because if both sides are equally developed in a character who is being realistically sculpted it will imply she only recently lost her arm and will rob you of the chance to really explore the character.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really slow progress (Wacom went kaput so I treated myself to an Intuos 4 : )).

Hair is still placeholder, right now its just in there so she feels more like the character. I'm aware her proportions still look a little on the short side but rather than push the proportions too much I want to make her the essence of her character work pop more based on final posture and facial expression. I think pint sized assassin works quite well :).

oifw3p.jpg
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    This is a pretty cool idea, Baj, I like what you've got going so far. I think her cloth is hanging in a innatural way though, you've got an hour glass shape going but it should be just hanging from the waist/butt down instead of going inwards like an hourglass. You should polypaint her face too just to have a better grasp at how she will look like textured and reshape her face's proportions and what not accordingly(The eyes are pretty important!) Also I think the hilt of the sword is a bit too short ;)
    Good work none the less. I'll be following this.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your right about the cloth Goraaz, it should be falling down pretty much vertically from the hip.

Will be trying to wrap the sculpt up tonight. Did a polypaint face test as well to make sure that the features will hold up once the character is texturerd properly.

iw2la9.jpg

34qsawy.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    opa2f.jpg

Still a fair while to go I think. It would be nice to get a few more sets of eyes on this.

Polycount is around 18'000, with 1 *2048 map for body and sword, 1 * 1024 map for head and hair.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    wow looks great matey. I'm not particulary fond of the latest head, i found the previous one to be much more close to the concept. Hair looks good but could gain from some specular, and maybe more contrast ! keep it up man
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Looking stellar! I can agree that the face seems to have lost something since the previous update, but overall she's looking great. I really like the work on the cloth.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers chaps, i've made some minor changes to the texture and facial proportions but I think im pretty much ready to call this a day and start something new.

Thanks for all the feedback from everybody :)

rqvvkn.jpg

oh95pl.jpg

2v13x2e.jpg

4lsltd.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looking very nice! Much prefer the more realistic style you have for her compared to the Anime images. My personal taste but I much prefer the warmer skin tone you've got going on at the bottom of the first page.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I spent a bit more time on this last night as I didn't think the final render was polished enough (and wasn't happy with the rigging so I opted for a more simple pose). ^^.

Saturated the colours a little to make it pop a little more.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice! Much prefer the colours now. Loving the cloth work.