Home General Discussion

Bill Gates: Better than Batman? (Large image warning)

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    and everyone worships jobs... funny old world.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, as much as I dislike the way windows does certain things, I've always been a big admirer of Mr. Gates.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    both the image and the link are not working for me...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    r_fletch_r wrote: »

cause steve jobs demanded attention and liked being the center of attention.

Bill Gates, is doing this because it;s something he believes in, not for publicity, or ti change peoples image of him.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes well Apple is practically a religion more than it is a brand and the death of Jobs was like the death of a deity in consumer culture.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Doesn't Batman also give lots of money to good causes? I mean, there's the Wayne Foundation and stuff.

That said, yes. Bill Gates is great.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i think they could maby start with preventing perfectly healthy people from wanting to kill themselfes.
    http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/02/ff_joelinchina/all/1
    dont know if its worth saving a starving child in africa from malaria so it will live 5 years longer with the money you made from slaves.
    just sayin i realy like gates and microsoft, but nothing and noones ever black or white.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I don't recall Batman leaping any chairs, so yeah
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Doesn't Batman also give lots of money to good causes? I mean, there's the Wayne Foundation and stuff.

That said, yes. Bill Gates is great.

batman isnt real :)
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just like rockafeller and carnegie, nobody seems to care how he got his money, and instead focus only on the philanthropy.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dissonance wrote: »
    just like rockafeller and carnegie, nobody seems to care how he got his money, and instead focus only on the philanthropy.
    What's wrong with how Batman got his money?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dissonance

Yep. I agree that he's doing great things now but it's funny how people have forgotten the decades that many spent loathing the man for his business practices. :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Bill gates? batman never had no SWEAT SHOPS, fuck that DARK KNIGHT!
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    What's wrong with how Batman got his money?
    :poly131: oh you
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    batman isnt real :)

Bite your tongue
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Goeddy wrote: »
    dont know if its worth saving a starving child in africa from malaria so it will live 5 years longer with the money you made from slaves.
    come again?

Also, apple causes suicides, microsoft saves lives?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Ryswick wrote: »
    come again?

Also, apple causes suicides, microsoft saves lives?

no, i didnt mean to say any of that, as you may know microsoft is a client of foxconn too, and also i said nothing is ever black or white.

so bill gates may have good intentions, but he is definitly no saint.
    just saying it seems kinda two-faced, to make your wealth by exploiting people and then give half of this money to other people (not nececarilly bill, but all those other guys washing theyr contius and theyr public image clear by spending half theyr cash)

also i dont want to be picky here but "the child" in general is not defined as male or female so you adress it with a gender-neutral term.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    dissonance

Yep. I agree that he's doing great things now but it's funny how people have forgotten the decades that many spent loathing the man for his business practices. :)

In all honesty, most of the hate that Gates got in the 90's was typical nerd rage; people would hate the guy because their OS had crashed.
    On the other hand, if we weight having a monopoly in a rapidly developing IT sector worth billions of dollars against saving ~6 million lives, then I say it was worth it. I would gladly get ripped off if it means it would contribute to saving a life somewhere down the road.

Damn, seeing George Lucas on that list makes me feel guilty I've ever complained about the prequels and Star Wars merchandise. I guess he will be having the last laugh after all.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Haters gonna hate...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    no, i didnt mean to say any of that, as you may know microsoft is a client of foxconn too, and also i said nothing is ever black or white.

just saying it seems kinda two-faced, to make your wealth by exploiting people and then give half of this money to other people (not nececarilly bill, but all those other guys washing theyr contius and theyr public image clear by spending half theyr cash)

also i dont want to be picky here but "the child" in general is not defined as male or female so you adress it with a gender-neutral term.

Those are the fecking companies mate, get over yourself. Seriously, Steve Jobs is a figure head for apple, who didn't know jack about how his company ran or who committed suicide in some remote company in a far away place.

Same with Bill Gates, only instead of bitching and moaning about his daughter, and being a dick who calls out everyone and says that Mr. X stole my idea, he's trying to do something good with his life.

dissonance wrote: »

Hmm, lets see, rich parents which allowed him to experiment at school, even drop out since no one could keep up with him, and later on, for him to buy the very first precursor of windows basic lines?

Also, everyone has a chance of being the CEO of MS, 1 in 1000 the chances are, which isn't bad if you consider you'll be head of a large company of millions.

So good luck and encouraging parent, more then your average smuck parent who rides your kid at the age of 16 to get a job just because they want to have a nice holiday and makes a mockery of them if they're gay.

I don't like to usually say this, but seriously, haters gonna hate, if you are going to find the power in your heart to even be a cynic about this man here, then I suggest you don't procreate...the world needs thinkers, not cynic dicks.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Foxconn is SO totally overblown it's outright ridiculous.

Foxconn employes 920,000+ people (over 1 million people according to BBC).

17 have commited suicide out of a million people.

TO compare this to the USA, 118 people commit suicide per 1 million people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Just on per-capita alone, people are gonna commit suicide.

The Foxconn suicides are sensationalized by the media.

Anyways, going back to the Gates':

Time persons of the year in 2005. Dude is a better man than pretty much everyone on the planet.

2005-12-time-person-of-the-year.jpg
    The Gateses, having built the world’s biggest charity, with a $29 billion endowment, spent the year giving more money away faster than anyone ever has, including nearly half a billion dollars for the Grand Challenges, in which they asked the very best brains in the world how they would solve a huge problem, like inventing a vaccine that needs no needles and no refrigeration, if they had the money to do it.

Read more: http://today.ccopinion.com/bono-bill-melinda-gates-time-persons-of-the-year-2005/#ixzz1kEEO4zZf
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why the fuck is bonno there? hes a total bag of shite.
    The non-profit organisation set up by the U2 frontman received almost £9.6million in donations in 2008 but handed out only £118,000 to good causes (1.2 per cent).
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314543/Bonos-ONE-foundation-giving-tiny-percentage-funds-charity.html
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11

Whether that fact is true or not i don't know, but using daily mail to prove a point is not a good idea.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whether that fact is true or not i don't know, but using daily mail to prove a point is not a good idea.
    Yeah posting the mail was a bad idea, it was all over the papers here in Ireland.

this was where that story aparently started.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/poor_idea_bono_bsUzJMfT2mBJbqyXgp6YoO

edit: turns out the post is as bad as the mail. :/ oh well.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude is a better man than pretty much everyone on the planet.
    What he's doing is awesome, don't get me wrong.

However, give me $100 billion or whatever he has and I'll be generous too. I promise. :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    What he's doing is awesome, don't get me wrong.

However, give me $100 billion or whatever he has and I'll be generous too. I promise. :)

I don't think that diminishes what he's doing in any way. Don't take it as a personal jab, but I think it's easy to talk about giving such amount away when you have no money in comparison. There's hundreds of guys like him and very few of them are making such massive contributions. Folks who amass money over the course of decades often treat their wealth quite personally and tend to be very paranoid about it. Giving out something you've won is easy. But giving out something you worked on hard for years (in ones own belief of course) must be a tough call to make. I'm not sure if I would have the balls to do something like that if I was in his position.

I'm worried that I would end up thinking "I'm gonna use this cash to make more money and then contribute"

...and I would continue doing so indefinitely.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Its nice reading infographs like this, most are just depressing.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    He's not simply giving away his money.

He is using his experience and business knowledge to try and give it away wisely. He's not wasting money like governments do when trying to distribute it, he's applying private sector smarts to a charity, and I wish there were more people trying that.

Here's to you Bill.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that diminishes what he's doing in any way. Don't take it as a personal jab, but I think it's easy to talk about giving such amount away when you have no money in comparison. There's hundreds of guys like him and very few of them are making such massive contributions. Folks who amass money over the course of decades often treat their wealth quite personally and tend to be very paranoid about it. Giving out something you've won is easy. But giving out something you worked on hard for years (in ones own belief of course) must be a tough call to make. I'm not sure if I would have the balls to do something like that if I was in his position.

I'm worried that I would end up thinking "I'm gonna use this cash to make more money and then contribute"

...and I would continue doing so indefinitely.
    True. :)
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I also dont understand the horseshit hate on Steve Jobs for not following suit. Charity is not mandatory. Whether or not you contribute to it is a personal choice.

What Bill has accomplished with his ambitions and how he rallied the world's wealthiest under the same objective is very admirable. What impresses me more is that he is subtle about the way he accomplishes it rather than using it as a fashionable publicity stunt that's common among celebrities.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Batman isn't real.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    if you are going to find the power in your heart to even be a cynic about this man here, then I suggest you don't procreate...the world needs thinkers, not cynic dicks.
    ouch.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11456 WATCH! Everyone should watch at least 5 minutes of this interview before you decide if it's worth it to watch the rest. In fact, totally worth adding to the first post. Fucking awesome guy, he should motivate all of you to take what you do more seriously, be more cutthroat, be more ambitious, and use whatever you win to educate and help and aid the world around you.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

Time persons of the year in 2005. Dude is a better man than pretty much everyone on the planet.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or whatever but him giving away lots of money does not necessarily make him a better person. When celebrities give away money for charity it's usually also for another cause; self-promotion. They want to be loved and gain new fans so by doing these kind of stuff they improve their image, it's sort of an investment.
    I admit that Bill is a much more generous person than the rest of those billionaires, and what I said above might not necessarily apply to him, but usually these billionaires get this rich by NOT being generous. I'm not saying Gates is a jerk, I've never really understood the hate, but people seem to exaggerate these guys' status a lot. One minute they hate them and say they're greedy assholes, the other they say they're better than anyone else on the planet. I'm sure lots of nerds still want to hate him but it's hard when he gives out such a great image, you would just come off as a hating cynic.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Never once met anyone who hated Bill Gates.
  • bgivenb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5

Did you notice the part about foxxcom creating a million jobs? Wealth is not taken, it is created; before there was not a Bill Gates fortune, now there is. It didn't happen by accident, the guy worked hard and had some smart ideas. Thanks to the technology he (and others like him) funded, billions of hours have been saved because of increased productivity and millions of jobs have been created. China used to be a VERY impoverished country, and now thanks to factories such as foxxcom, the general quality of life has been greatly improved, however I think we can all learn a lesson about communist economics from that story: I would kill myself too if I had to work hours on end without much compensation or incentive. FUCK communism.
  • bgivenb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5
    http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11456 WATCH! Everyone should watch at least 5 minutes of this interview before you decide if it's worth it to watch the rest. In fact, totally worth adding to the first post. Fucking awesome guy, he should motivate all of you to take what you do more seriously, be more cutthroat, be more ambitious, and use whatever you win to educate and help and aid the world around you.

UR a man after my own heart

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    Fuse wrote: »
    I also dont understand the horseshit hate on Steve Jobs for not following suit. Charity is not mandatory. Whether or not you contribute to it is a personal choice.

What Bill has accomplished with his ambitions and how he rallied the world's wealthiest under the same objective is very admirable. What impresses me more is that he is subtle about the way he accomplishes it rather than using it as a fashionable publicity stunt that's common among celebrities.

Jobs was an objectivist, which is why I admire the hell out of him
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the hate Jobs receives is less about his lack of charitability and more a biproduct of the feeling that he gets so much undue praise. I'm mostly indifferent to him but I have to admit, my eyes roll back into my skull when I see people claiming he made Pixar and invented the personal computer...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Bibendum wrote: »
    I think the hate Jobs receives is less about his lack of charitability and more a biproduct of the feeling that he gets so much undue praise. I'm mostly indifferent to him but I have to admit, my eyes roll back into my skull when I see people claiming he made Pixar and invented the personal computer...

The pixar thing, at least, comes from... Pixar.
    Steve Jobs was an extraordinary visionary, our very dear friend and the guiding light of the Pixar family. He saw the potential of what Pixar could be before the rest of us, and beyond what anyone ever imagined. Steve took a chance on us and believed in our crazy dream of making computer animated films; the one thing he always said was to simply 'make it great.' He is why Pixar turned out the way we did and his strength, integrity and love of life has made us all better people. He will forever be a part of Pixar’s DNA. Our hearts go out to his wife Laurene and their children during this incredibly difficult time.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    bgivenb wrote: »
    Jobs was an objectivist, which is why I admire the hell out of him

Oh yeah his objective was to father a daughter who he then flat out refused to accept was his for 18 years while he was a millionaire and his daughter and her mom lived off welfare. Top guy. :thumbup:
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I think he has already addressed that. It's remarkable how much people are invested in stranger's personal lives when it should have no relevance on their professional accomplishments.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I thought non-political non-religious organizations never gave handouts like that.

What I mean... Is they send skilled workers like nurses, accountants, teachers to these 3rd world countries to teach them skills.

Like ONE, VSO, Actually TEACH them how to fish, like the parable. They sending boat engineers, fishing rod manufacturers, ecologists, environmental engineers, and FISHERMEN. Their programs are designed to develop infrastructure, and educate.

So it stands to reason they'd spend their money on salaries, and not handouts. No?
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    I find it amusing how the poster basically just lists a bunch of modern (and olden-day) robber barons and salutes them as the greatest. The fact is, more often that not they earned their money by being cutthroat in their business dealings. And (taking the ethics/morality of such things out of the equation) that's fine.

It's great that now these people are taking the time to make the world a better place, if only by throwing money at it. But I am not about to worship them as paragons of virtue that have angels flying out their ass solely due to the fact that they have now decided to give back to the people. They are simply successful businessmen who found it in their hearts to share their wealth only after earning absolutely ridiculous amounts of money in often unscrupulous ways.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    It's not about you.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    @Fuse, you're right. I guess just the innate "hero worship" tone of the whole thing gets to me.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think anyone is taking it this far. We reap the benefits of capitalism on daily basis but we are not so objective when it comes to recognizing people who have becomes successful on that very system.

He made his fortune on a few excellent ideas. You have to remember, he's not a banker or a lawyer or a politician. At his core he's an engineer, a forward thinker and a problem solver. So I'll give him that much.

People tend to get emotional, that's why "haters gonna hate" is unfortunately so fitting.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah.... Thanks Bill for aiding in the over crowding of the planet!!!....geez.
    I jest
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    He made his fortune on a few excellent ideas.

If you're going to be picky, he made his fortune implementing someone else's excellent idea. That person (Allen) happened to develop a nasty cancerous disease and was forced to resign a few years later, leaving Gates to collect the fruits of their labour and develop the business.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Don't be fooled by his trickery!

gates-devil.jpg

nah, he's a good guy poly120.gif
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Most [if not all] charitable donations by wealthy people start off as ways to avoid paying taxes on accumulated wealth. It's good to see that he is STILL making donations after the fact when so many others do the bare minimum. That's the important thing to note here. At some point his bank account became some number with a lot of zeroes after it and he decided to do something more than hoard it. Good for him and the rest of the world, right?