Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Groom Lake Warning Sign

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
And my Photobucket account overloaded (how do you guys avoid this around here?) so I'm bumping the latest image up here to the top.

Groom_Lake_Wall.png

Replies

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to actually draw out the Glass itself.
    Groom51RestrictedRegionMapV2.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting over on the glass. I want it to feel a bit more like a sheet of the stuff with more localized spars. I also wasn't pleased with the fuzzy look of the first run. Somehow this is becoming a project where I try and learn how to paint and I really don't know how. Any suggestions?

Updated a bit of the text as I nail down the setting. I'm also trying it without the hazard symbol. Thoughts?
    Groom51RestrictedRegionMapV3.png

Groom51RestrictedRegionMapV4.png
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Readjusted the file. I increased the visible area so you can see the poster on an actual wall rather than just hinting at it. Everything had to be reorganized to make this happen, and the file is a lot more organized now that I can put layers into groups again. I've also got the 2nd pass on the velspar looking like a mineral and not a coat of paint. Still trying to reduce its green tone but it's fighting me.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this before I get too much farther, if anyone would be interested in that.

Groom51RestrictedRegionMapV5.png
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Nother day, another update. Learning how to emphasize specific sections by placing intense colors next to darker ones. Any other tips would be super welcome!

Groom51RestrictedRegionMapV6.png
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    the current version of the glass thing looks kinda like cross section of some mineral. the glass sticks perfectly to the concrete surface which makes it feel like concrete was cut in half. first version was better in this aspect.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first version also felt a hell of a lot like Tiberium. I do see what you mean though. In the next pass I'm going to try and push the depth by putting in some interior highlights to the material, though that might make the cross-section effect even worse. We'll see.
  • Evil Flower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd recommend watching the 1970's sci-fi movie "The Andromeda Strain". It features an extraterrestial bacteria that behaves rather similar to what you are attempting to do.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, that looks awesome and difficult to do. I'm liking the edge highlights, maybe they feel a bit to thick, or constantly thick?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd recommend watching the 1970's sci-fi movie "The Andromeda Strain".

1970's? Really? I thought Crichton- (checks the internet) no he wrote it pre 1971, you're right. Wow. What made me think that guy was in his twenties in 1980? I guess that explains why he died so 'young'. Ok yeah I'll check that out. I was always meaning to read that book too.

Hi, that looks awesome and difficult to do. I'm liking the edge highlights, maybe they feel a bit to thick, or constantly thick?

It's been more time consuming than anything. I'm kind of learning what looks good as I go so there's been some trial and error. There will probably be more before I get this done too.

You raise a good point about the even thickness of the edge highlights. I got them by making a stroke around the edge for a mid tone, then I went over that with a brighter, less saturated color for the highlight. I think the highlight itself might be fine, but I should probably redo the edge stroke by hand. Hopefully that will make it feel a bit more random/natural.

And a huge thanks everyone who's commented so far. I've been working on this for a week and it's great to finally get some feedback!
  • Ken Benson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really cool. Great job!

Comments:
    I don't read the glass as glass yet. It is really close, but I think it needs a hint of reflection.
    Random google find: http://retroartglass.com/content/00/01/40/15/01/userimages/antique%20green%20glassware/blown-teal-glass.jpg

Maybe some subtle plane changes for depth.

Some chemical/burn effect where the glass touches the paper will add some visual interest. A preemptive step to being completely cut out.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions Ken. I tossed in the paper burn and tried to up the depth of the glass. Then I decided to make a desktop out of it and went a little crazy. It's probably too much, and there are parts I'm definitely not happy with, but I'm getting the feeling that I need to put this down and move on to something else.

Feedback is still appreciated!

Groom_Lake_Wall.png