Home Career & Education

Academy Of Design (Toronto)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Has anyone been to the AOD Toronto branch, can tell me it is legit.

I was looking through some reviews (Yes I've googled) and there were few positive reviews.

Until I saw this:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/private-schools/international-academ/international-academy-of-desig-z3a87.htm

I have been saving up for sheridan college, while learning as much as I can on my own, with whatever I have, and looking for decent work. Since sheridan college is known for Game Dev and Game Arts programs.

That being said. A rep from AODt calls me every six months to see if I am interested in one of his programs and since it is a private art institute and profit driven, I had to refuse. Its January and he called again, stating that he can get me a loan and a part time job to cover the expenses while I take the course at AODt. Some how, he got me convinced in to meeting with him. for 10 minutes, until I found the news.

I wanted to know if anyone have gone to AODt (specifically) and tell me if the institute is legit, so I can figure out what to do next.

Thanks.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigh* On second thought, disregard this. I am just going to refuse it.

Thanks anyways.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    If anybody actually plans to go to a for-profit school to learn game art I think it's a good idea to first see where program alumnis are actually working. This research is easily accomplished via professional network sites like linkedIN and checking game credits. Don't let the school just give you a list of "success stories". Do your own independent search if you can. If you can't find or talk to a working school grad look somewhere else for education.

People bash AI (I have), but AI Vancouver grads actually have been hired. For-profit schools (not all) are better nowadays since there are a lot more experienced people teaching and not just some clueless graphic artist who had to follow a tutorial book for lesson plans.

So just because a school has a fancy website for their game program doesn't mean you'll get the right education for what you're paying for (or getting a massive loan for).
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    nitewalkr, sheridan or durham college is your best bet, i think. Personally, I think durham is your best bet though. I went there, same with a few other polycounters. Though, when we went, we were only the second class through the program, so the program was a little rough around the edges at the time. But they are settling in nice now (im on the advisory board, so I see what goes on still). I wont say its perfect. Just like any school, you`ll only get out of it what you put in. And you`ll need to learn some things on your own because they just dont teach it. But if you`re set on the school path, and not the self taught path, then ya, I'd recommend it for sure.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    nitewalkr, sheridan or durham college is your best bet, i think. Personally, I think durham is your best bet though. I went there, same with a few other polycounters. Though, when we went, we were only the second class through the program, so the program was a little rough around the edges at the time. But they are settling in nice now (im on the advisory board, so I see what goes on still). I wont say its perfect. Just like any school, you`ll only get out of it what you put in. And you`ll need to learn some things on your own because they just dont teach it. But if you`re set on the school path, and not the self taught path, then ya, I'd recommend it for sure.

Will consider it. :)
  • Benjmin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    " Appreciate for sharing this information Thanks Again Cool"
  • gwebpro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Nitewalkr, I was also planning for AOD Toronto branch.  But after finding your comment, I need to re-think on this. Thanks for sharing this info. SEO Toronto - G Web Pro Marketing Inc