vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    after a few weeks I'm back. Day 14
    day14_birdie_by_vvherislt-d52ya2z.png
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Cool stuff everybody!

Pumpkinpatch: Nice! You are starting to get the hang of this robot-drawing-stuff :D

S_ource: Nice values nice scene!

wheris: Welcome back! Nice birdey! Btw if you wanna join in this weeks challenge it is to draw an AI (not a mech or a vehicle - think R2-D2 or Geth from Mass effect)

Also you should start from a thumbnail and aim for a painterly style.

Go have some fun with it, or totally dont ;D

Next weeks challenge is gonna be jucy!

Here is my Day 142, gonna finish it tomorrow.

trollwj.png
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    Okay, exam done, back to business!

Awesome stuff guys!
    @vvheris: Woah! Great colors, I love it!

Day 10...? maybe? sketches are from yesterday, I've been at art school today and I have no idea how to digitalize A2 sized pictures.
    scans1.png

@S_ource (and everyone else): I don't think you should be practising "speedpainting". I saw this a few posts earlier but I didn't have time to comment on it. Speedpainting is evil, it's bad and it's your worst enemy. At least while you are still in the grindy learning phase of drawing. When you speedpaint, you are not supposed to do a sloppy drawing, you are supposed to do something that implies a complete image, but is not detailed, not finished. It should have the perspective, the hue, maybe colors, and everything that makes a picture good, but you don't have to bother with the exact details, because you can imagine how it would look like if it was finished. (Or you could always just come back and finish it, because you have the idea complete, and all it needs is refinement.) I've been taking art lessons for a while now, and my teacher explained it pretty well that if you want to do something quick and simple, you have to know what you are doing. You have to learn how to draw it fully detailed and as accurate as possible, and when you have the knowledge, you can simplify. If you start out simple, your drawing will just look off and uncomfortable to look at. Most of the times you can't even tell what's wrong.

Of course if you are going to work as a designer, or something like that, speed is important. But you should learn what you are doing first, and then speed it up. Figure out where you can cut corners in your work flow, or when is the point where you can just look at your picture and be satisfied even if it's not finished. It kind of goes like this. :)

Sorry for the wall of thext, but this is something people seem to forget, or they don't even realize that drawing works this way. Ofc, I'm no professional, and I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but while watching videos and attending classes, this thing came up so many times I can't ignore it. I've learned to listen to the professionals, as I myself, while trying to get better at drawing, noticed that these things are actually true. You guys decide if you believe me or not :D
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Aleon: I Agree sounds like a good thing to keep in mind! In my opinion speedpainting is something you do when you just want to paint something fast and dont have time to clean it up. It might be useful to help you increase the rate at with you produce thumbnails or quick concepts but you wont really learn anything new from it. Might be useful as a tool for practicing blending and brushwork.

Thats just my thoughts.

Nice sketches Aleon!
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 23

Wise words aleon! I tried to do a quick landscape sketch focusing more on my own understanding of the idea
    tumblr_m5d7obxYGT1qhql5fo1_500.jpg

And then a knight sketch for my left hand
    tumblr_m5d7obxYGT1qhql5fo2_1280.jpg
  • kraemology
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kraemology polycounter lvl 7
    @ Alleon, I really like the colors on your Aug 6 entry. It gives a good sense of hot/cold
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinekun polycounter lvl 5
    Aleon: I think you really nailed it with your speedpainting comment! On a similar note, the reason why I study anatomy is not to draw muscular dudes all the time, it's to become better at drawing ordinary and simplified characters. It pretty much boils down into knowing your subject and be able to simplify it. If you know how the muscles move on the human body then you can use that knowledge even if you are drawing less detailed characters and the art will look so much better.

Well, that's my 5cents anyhow =)

This robot was a lot more fun to do than the last one! Last time I got stuck working at values quite a lot and somehow tried to force myself to do a good job. Today I was very careful not to fall into the same trap again, not thinking about quality at all and just concentrating on the picture. I ended up having a lot of fun and ironically made a picture I think is better too

woodfire_robot_by_kinekun-d530jcs.jpg

edit: tweaked the shadow and smoke a bit. thanks for feedback guys!
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    kinekun: Way cooler design thats for sure! Try puttin dark blue/gray tone on the shadow.

aiconx: Nice stuff there!
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah so um.. Not so good....
    day_15_by_vvherislt-d5325tq.png

I also updated this one a little.

day_14_birdie_2_by_vvherislt-d5325qr.png
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    aiconx: You nailed the perspective quite well in that environment painting. I'm curious if you are using the pickwhip for colors, or you just try to figure out them yourself. Your left hand paintings seem to be quite dynamic, and I somewhat feel like the fact that you can't draw that well, makes you observe the subject more, which is quite awesome for learning purposes. I might just try some right hand painting myself...

kinekun: I really like the idea and the steampunk look. Definitely much better result than the previous one. Keep it up

vvheris: That robot looks quite cool actually. If I were you I'd try to refine it a bit more. Also if you want to work more on the bird (phoenix?), try to find some bird reference.

Day 11 - Sketching some vehicles, and trying to imagine 3d shapes.
    sihoulet2.png
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 24

Aleon: thanks! I had some troubles with the perspective at first, but adding some trees in the foreground really helped. I took different greens and worked with them and the colours of the sky mixed up. The non dominant hand drawing really helps with taking my mind of details, and focusing on the whole of the design.
    Your vehicle's looking good!

Kine: Agree with aleon, really like that steampunk look!

wheris: Interesting design of the midsection, but it feels like it needs some thicker legs and arms for stability. Really like the slanting tip of the legs though!

two older folks
    tumblr_m5edbdpfPP1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg
    and a bunny boy
    tumblr_m5edbdpfPP1qhql5fo2_500.jpg
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah you probably have a point about the basics but i also agree with Erik that sometime you just need to get a design out. Some perspective training with 2 point system.
    perspectivetraining01_01.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    wheris: Cool robot!

aiconx: Nice!

Aleon: love that ship! cool!

Day 143 -

trollu.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erik i really like you concept style. ;P
    perspectivetraining02.jpg
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    Btw thanks for the kind words everyone, forgot to say that in previous post.

@Erik: Looking pretty solid, I like result.
    Don't stop with those perspective studies S_ource, you can never have enough of those ;) Speaking of which...

Day 12 (Day 11 was yesterday actually) - Moar vehicles, moar perspective. I might have got a bit sidetracked from my original plan, but I learned quite a lot studying military stuff.
    vehicles.png

Edit: Now that I look at it the top one's perspective is waaaay off. Funny how I couldn't see that on paper.
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Thanks S_ource and Aleon.

S_ource: Nice work, looks like a solid perspective.

Aleon: cool man some nice stuff!

Remember guys! New challenge tomorrow!
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Challenge of the week!

Theme: a Sellsword fantasy character. (side or main character in a game or movie)

Style: Use a minimum of ten or so thumbnails as a base (make them small!) and render the finished character with a cartooney/comic/lineart or cellshaded style.

Videos for inspiration:

Lineart:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUM3SHNCfpM&feature=plcp"]Drawing like a Painter - YouTube[/ame]

Cellshaded:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMuZyZlPAlc&feature=plcp"]Painting Faces: 06 - YouTube[/ame]
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesnt sound so easy anymore :\ well, still, i guess i will do it :)
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oho, cool challenge! Feeling pumped up already!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Hehe yupp think this will be a fun one ^^

Cellshading and lineart aint my usual cup o t
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so after a week of self pity for not getting into a school I want to get back to work. Hopefully you guys don´t mind me joining in:) Also if i may join in on this could you explain what a sellsword fantasy character is? I´m lost on the sellsword part:P
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klodit: Welcome, dude! I believe Erik means a medieval mercenary. Sellsword as in s/he is selling his/her sword for service. That said, it doesn't have to be a sword specifically =)
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha, thought it would be something like that but I wanted to make sure:)
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koldlt Lietuvis?

Just warming up.
    Day 16

day_16__some_kind_of_warrior_by_vvherislt-d537f3w.png
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope no connection to Lietuvis.
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. :) Just wanted to be sure
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 25

So excited about this week's challenge! I do love human fantasy characters :)

source, I like # 1

thumbs
    tumblr_m5gp1yGrY01qhql5fo1_1280.jpg

The hardest thing to do with my left hand is straight lines
    tumblr_m5gp1yGrY01qhql5fo2_1280.jpg
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some new cool stuff in here while i have been gone

67 Started on some Sellswords
    qs6I8.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    KoldIt: Welcome dude, remember most artists today are selftought, taking courses and traditional art classes is just as valuable as say a game art education. The only way to become good is to practice and work your ass off ^^

Cool stuff guys! I like!

aiconx: 2, 4, 5 and 6.

Twoflower: 2, 3, 6.

Here are som thumbs from me, it late and I could probably have put more effort in them, oh well :P

Day 144.

thumbskt.png

For those that might have missed it!

Challenge of the Week! Check it out!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1605539&postcount=668
  • Pumpkinpatch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ainox: 4,5, 10 I like

twoflower: I like 5 since it's quirky, but 2 and 3 has interesting proportions!

Erik 9 and 7

I'll try to do this! last week before graduation and I'm in knee deep in it!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on the character, and now when uploading this i remember that it was suposed to be cartoney style :poly122:. Oh well i did not do so much on it and its allot of perspective and probably anatomy errors i need to fix..:poly121:
    fantasycharacter01.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    I like it, his armor looks cool :P

Why don't you finish this one and then render another one of your thumbnails comic style? :)
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip, would like some feedback on this guy before i proceed with him
    LbbdU.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Hmm cool cool, Here are just some suggestions and thoughts from me:

Think you could add some nice boots on him, maybe some nice shading and perhaps a bit more interesting clothes (also they look quite modern)

Here are some clothing id
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 26

erik: I like 5, 2, 6 and 9

TF: Cool idea! I like battlepriests. Maybe some more work on the perspective on the axe and some shoes for him. Love the face and hat!

A snufkin inspired wanderer merc and an ex soldier
    tumblr_m5il0h8MKt1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m5il0h8MKt1qhql5fo2_1280.jpg
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aiconx: Looking sick dude, I love the fact that you have two very different characters. The first one makes me think of robin hood for some reason while the other one makes me think of a persian warrior type. Really tough for me to give you critique but if i´d change anything i would probably make the second ones sword a bit longer, to me it seems to be between the length of a dagger and a sword. But thats just nitpicking/personal opinion.

Day 1: I will most likely do one of these a day.
    day_1.jpg

Day 2:
    day_2-1.jpg
    First time doing thumbnails, might do some more to learn how to do them faster/better. If anybody knows a good tutorial video for thumbnails that would be appreciated.
    thumbnailscopy.jpg
    Also realising that I should probably turn down the lighting on my scanner to make it easier to look at:P
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    aiconx: Nice work there! Shading looks solid! A bit confused to what is happening with the persian dudes arm? Cool characters though!

KoldIt: Nice dude, 5, 3 looks pretty nice, main thing about thumbnailing is to do it small, like as big as your thumbnail if you get the id
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link to the vid. I will probably spend this week trying to properly learn how to make thumbnails. Maybe I will finish a character but atm I am having alot of fun with thumbnails:P
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Thumbnails is the shit dude! Keep at it!

here is day 146!

merc01.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more on this guy not so happy with ti but oh well, will probably do nr:3 comic. Erik yours reminds me of bioshock big daddy. :poly144:
    fantasycharacter01_02.jpg
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 27

Koldt, I like #5

tumblr_m5key8w2kS1qhql5fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m5key8w2kS1qhql5fo2_500.jpg
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    Really cool stuff aiconx

I'm still rolling, just falling behind on uploading dem pictures...

Day 15 - Some kind of AAV/drone. I'm finding this military stuff pretty entertaining, but I want to eventually get to the challenge as well... (Will upload day 13-14 soon)
    vehicles2.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Nice stuff, that character dont look to shabby S_ource :)

Worked late yesterday so here is my pics from today and yesterday.

Day 147.

20120615002505.jpg

Day 148.

Way out of my comfort zone on this one :D

will probably rework large parts of it. The design aint to pretty.

merc01.png
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It´s really hard for me to give critique around here, especially since I haven´t given much of it before. Sorry for contributing so much but atleast I can say that the things you guys are putting out is looking really good:)

Day 3:
    Realised that I cannot fool myself to believe that I will do work later during the day, thought I was going to do some thumbnails after coming home from a friend but no dice:P
    day_3.jpg

Day 4:
    Figured out I never want to draw another plant in my life:P
    day_4.jpg
    These are not new concepts but I just took some ideas from the last time i did thumbnails and remade them. And i really need to read up on some anatomy or something:)
    tumbnailscopy.jpg
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, was really helpful :)
    Working on the shading of this guy now.

day 69
    NvKSW.jpg
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 28

That cape looks awesome TF! The colour really gave the character more flavour

I graduated yesterday so no sketches then, but now I'm back!
    Neither my PS or Corel Painter wants to start today, so I did today's sketches in MS Paint

tumblr_m5og02zGoZ1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m5og02zGoZ1qhql5fo2_400.jpg
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    Still too lazy to upload them pictures...

Day 17 - Got to the challenge today... Quite happy with the results, 1, 3 and 5 are my personal favourites.
    charthumbs1.png
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 29

Nice aleon! I like 5 most

Today I managed to start PS with much hassle, so I did a photo study and the usual left hand sketch

tumblr_m5phapfDIL1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m5phapfDIL1qhql5fo2_1280.jpg