Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skuther: Airship Village [Cry3]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Neolight polycounter lvl 10
VIDEO FLYTHROUGH COMING SOON

Polycounters!

Haven't posted here in a while. After wrapping up my previous UDK piece, I went off to Insomniac Games for the summer and actually got to contribute a bunch of art to Ratchet and Clank. In short, it was an awesome experience and I got to meet and work with some really talented dudes. Now i'm back in school and facing down my last semester which ends in may. After that, I'm kicked out into the world for good. I think this is the perfect reason for this next environment project to be the big one.

The Challenge:

Use Cry engine to create a cinematic wide shot of some fantastical world. Elements in the scene should be tied together by a sense of narrative and composed to invoke vastness and depth. I also wanna hit some dramatic lighting (something like golden hour early morning) and implement it accurately.

Below you'll find a bunch of concepts I've made, I'm hoping to get some design crits as I block out my first pass.

Concept Art / Flavor Text:

We enter the world of Galestorm, the setting of a high flying, hack-n-slash, Open-World RPG with a lot of platforming elements. The basic aesthetic theme of the world is that the sky is the ocean. Towns and cities are built on tall sky scrapers of rock and give off a coastal feel. The world's flora is derived from maritime shape language (coral reefs), and airships are the main form of transportation.

Final Concept / Art Target
Skuther_finalreduced.jpg

In particular we've just journeyed to this town called Skuther, once ruthless barbarian territory now tamed by the loss of their powerful warleader - Ragnar. The settlement and it's allied neighbors have hung up the swords and shields of their plundering days for the harvest and trade of their most valuable rescoruce, Skyfish. It's been three years since they've turned docile and as naive foreign traders trickle in monetary wealth, a cold revenge is planned in secret.

Skaremap.jpg

The town itself is influenced by How to Train your Dragon's norse architecture and Final Fantasy 4's airship filled ambience. When it comes to fantasy, I'm also a really big Zelda fan - so I hope that finds it's way in too. I'm running with architecture mostly described in the bottom row of this next sheet.

comp_buldings_rough.jpg

Below are some of the other compositions that I visited before painting the final shot above. As you can see in the final above, I went with shot 3.

thumb_composition.jpg

And finally, a mood sheet to keep everything in check.

materialreference.jpg

I'm not experienced in cry engine at all, so this should be a real interesting battle. I'll have a blockout in engine and posted today or tommorow. Any thoughts on design are really appreciated. You guys were a huge help last year and provided a ton of valuable criticism. I think this next journey is going to be an awesome one.

So again, let's do it.

Replies