Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] rat character (need advice)

low_seb
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
low_seb polycounter lvl 12
hello

my first "with fur character" , I tried a lot of thing for the fur,sculpt in mudbox ,photo use , at the end I follow this tutorial
http://wiki.polycount.com/HairTechnique?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=squirrelyjones_fur.pdf
rat04.jpg
I mix my normal baked in xnormal of the naked rats with a normal of the fur created by crazy bump an I have got some issue
rat05.jpg
rat06.jpg
the baking of naked rat in mudbox
rat01.jpg

my rat is 4842 tris for now ,he need optimize maybe
rat02.jpg
rat03.jpg

I you are some advice for improve my fur ,it will be very helpful
the textures still wip scecially the skin part ,no proper specular for now

thanks for viewing

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Interesting technique! Looking pretty nice.

Not too sure what sort of problem you're trying to show with the normals there though.
    Overlaying normals can cause issues though, how did you go about that? Did you cut down the intensity of the blue channel on the overlaying normal by about half?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I agree on the interesting technique! Should have done that myself on my rat. lol I had ended up sculpting my fur in Zbrush and it was a pain not going to lie. I still might try that tuff technique though... pretty cool stuff.

As for your normal map issue... I want to say that was before crazybump? It is hard to say if you screwed up the normal map in some way or if it baked that way (because of your UVs).
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback

yes its a nice technique ,you can set the fur flow nicely but you cant bake the normal (its a post process effect ,with 3dsmax in any case)

@ Jeremiah
    great work on that skaven by the way,have you make a baking yet ?

I almost fix the normal issue (I mix the 2 normal in photoshop with some mask)
    rat08.jpg
    rat09.jpg
    almost finish ,need a specular map
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its done , render in unity

rat10.jpg