Home General Discussion

Ubisoft's Revolutionary DRM!!!

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
Guru3D has discovered that Ubisoft has taken it to a whole new ballpark. Whilst trying to install the game Anno 2070 on three different computers (for review purposes), they discovered something. One of the computers was an NVIDIA Graphics Test PC. They took out a GTX 580 graphics card and inserted a GTX 590. Now here's where their troubles begin.

Instead of monitoring the number of PC's that you are using, Ubisoft also monitor your hardware itself. Meaning, that, once the user switched graphics cards, the activation key was no longer valid and the game wouldn't work anymore.

Best part is if they wanted to review the game, they'd have to buy the game seven times. Ubisoft's response? Tough luck.
In short, Ubisoft DRM doesn't just track the computers, but it also tracks your hardware. Meaning, switch one thing out and lose an activation code. Better be careful in the future, you could get screwed over worse than you could ever imagine.
http://www.screwattack.com/news/community-showcase-ubisoft-drm-taking-it-step-too-far

Does Ubisoft hate their customers or something?

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Ryswick wrote: »

I'll say what they have been saying in the comments under the article.
    Yeah... and then publishers wonder why there are such high piracy rates on their games.

Tough luck back to them I suppose..
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    wonder if that goes for USB devices as well? I mean the whole switching thing..

USB devices also have an ID in the hardware manager and what not right, so switching mouse or keyboard would change your hardware setup I guess..... :) awesome...........................
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    That shit ain't gonna fly.

Unlike console fanbois, PC users have this tendency to upgrade their rig. Frequently.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Just after buying a new game is like the most common time to upgrade one's graphics card, is it not? Monumental silliness.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    fly_soup wrote: »
    Just after buying a new game is like the most common time to upgrade one's graphics card, is it not? Monumental silliness.
    I can see it now

"GEE I love the Anno series, can't wait to test it out"

"Oh my, it doesn't play very well, oh well I needed to get a new graphics card anyways"

[Invalid Activation Key]

"eh?"
  • pinkbox
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    not sure what they're trying to achieve. I stopped buying Ubi games quite a while ago (no, I don't pirate them instead either ). While I have a lot of respect for their artists and the Ubi people I deal with at work, I just don't like to give them money and make them think their DRM strategy works.

Then again, I can skip Ubi titles - grab a book instead, do some art, watch a movie. There's so much other quality entertainment available, I can live without playing their games.
  • Adam L. Gray
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    next thing you know we'll be back to dongles
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    a dongle would be better - you could still upgrade your hardware, and it wouldn't require an all-the-time online DRM solution either. Seriously, I'd prefer dongles over some of the current DRM idiocies that are floating around.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like a stupid way of doing this.

Windows also tracks hardware changes too and it doesn't deactivate unless there's significant changes made all at once to compensate for ongoing hardware upgrades. Even then if you call Microsoft they'll give you a new key (which admittedly isn't a wonderful solution but it's better than nothing)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The best thing about this:

This drm layer is ON TOP OF STEAM!, valve really aught to have a no-drm policy on products sold on steam, as steam is drm already.

The Anno series is a fantastic series that ubisoft will end up murdering with tricks like this.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Dont get me started on this fcking piece of shit DRM that ubisoft is doing. Got heroes of Might and magic 6 during christmas break. I've really been looking forward to it.

there's nothing wrong with my internet connection so i figured what the hell, so what if i need to be online to play, i always am anyway.

well..

Servers crashed repeatedly, and here's the good part, every time they crashed i lost all my saves and all achievements because the game doesnt upload your progression until you shut down the game yourself. At one point i lost a complete 4 hour session when their servers unexpectedly went down.

Ubisoft needs to read up on brand equity and realize they just made a massive fucking withdrawal that i dont think there's any recovery from.

GG to the collection of glue sniffing clownshoes that decided that this form of anti piracy was a good idea...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Seriously...Wow!... If true, i'll not be buying anymore ubisoft games thats for sure.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Search for Anno 2070 torrents, and prepare to lol.

Don't you know Ubisoft? You just can't keep a good asshole down.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Ubisoft's DRm schemes have been increasingly ridiculous for nearly a decade now. The last game I bought for PC was Blazing Angels in 2006. It installed some hideous, crippling starforce DRM scheme that disabled my DVD drive and embedded itself so hard into my operating system that I could never properly remove it. More impressively yet, as I was running on Vista (released about the same time as BA), the DRM verification software itself didn't even actually work and it couldn't run! Their supplied 'StarForce Removal Tool' couldn't dig that shit out and instead caused my screen to fill with errors when booting the machine into windows.

I ended up having to replace my permanently bust DVD drive and format the entire machine.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, but what really adds salt to the wound is that they release the PC sku a few months later, littered with this crap DRM and cry piracy.
    Maybe if PC gamers were treated as equally as there console cousins by Ubisoft then they'd actually realise this DRM solves nothing only pissing off paying customers.

Funny thing is that they don't know what there doing themselves. In the space of a few years, they've tried multiple DRM methods and none have worked.
    SC:C came with "always on" DRM, then From Dust had non and now there switching to this stupid ploy.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Entity wrote: »
    next thing you know we'll be back to dongles

They'll be in the collectors edition :) You wont be able to upgrade hardware without having the collectors edition versions.

eld wrote: »

This drm layer is ON TOP OF STEAM!, valve really aught to have a no-drm policy on products sold on steam, as steam is drm already.

Great idea, so we can then have a THIRD online client when Ubi gets pissed off at that and starts its own 'Origin'. :poly124:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I dont want this to become a trend. All my games would break when I updated graphics cards.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really understanding the concept behind this though. Piracy, not game rentals or friends borrowing copies is what the industry is worried about and what ultimately costs the most sales. But this won't stop piracy in the least. What's the idea? That once the pirate installs the game anyone with a different card won't be able to use the cracked copy? I'm pretty sure that will be hacked no problem (or already is considering the piratebay link). This is just more trash DRM that would just drive regular consumers to either not purchase a product or to pirate the hassle free version.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto you probably shouldn't post links to pirated games here...
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    You know, there have been a lot of bad DRM ideas floating around over the years, but I think this is easily one of the worst I've seen yet. I honestly cannot believe any company would actually do this on purpose AND expect it to pan out well.

My only question is why has Ubisoft chosen a course of self destruction?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    FUCK UBISOFT. so if i decide to switch out graphics card i loose the ability to play the game?!?! WHat ever happened to the shit i buy IS MINE! wow
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Microsoft did this previously. They get hardware ids off of main components (not your USB devices, monitors, keyboards, etc). Then they would track for a percentage of those items to change. But for MS, if you upgraded to a new mobo/cpu (which usually included more changes), they would just require you to call MS, and they would reactivate it (after you tell them you did an upgrade), and reassociate the hardware to the license.
    I'm not positive, but I believe they've abandoned that method with Win 7 (and probably Vista too), since I was able to install Win7 on a couple PCs in my house. I believe they now allow you to use the license 3 or 5 times (can't remember the exact number).

But again, methods that harm the legit users, and doesn't even make the pirates blink.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I stopped buying their games anyway. What I do find the most annoying is not their DRM, but Ubisoft's policy on making games that are as "accessible" as possible. As a gamer, I just can't enjoy games in which I'm being rewarded for my own screwups. They might be technically great, but I'm just not having any fun. Their last title I played was AC:Brotherhood and it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is that Ubisoft has the rights to the Might and Magic franchise. Dark Messiah had been an incredibly fun spin-off, but HoMM games, which I used to love had been extremely disappointing.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I feel sorry for the makers of Anno 2070. They don't deserve to have Ubisoft taking this stance with their product and reviewers.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ya, that's really unfortunate. What happens if your gpu dies, or you have to swap out your ram or something?

Sadly, this is just another example of DRM hurting the people that actually pay for the game. Isn't the first time, and wont be the last time.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    How can I buy their products anymore? The entire appeal of certain games is popping it back into your PC a couple of years down the line and playing, I know for a fact I played a game called Evolva over several time (3+) over the span of several years with several hardware upgrades.

Seriously Ubisoft, go and die in a ditch at this point. Piracy cannot be stopped since picking up a simple Magazine of 'How to crack the software you like' is available like wildfire.

Maybe going after the knowledge of people who know the hows and why of Piracy is better? Kill the problem at the root.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds horrible.

I like the dongle idea better too. Messiah: Studio has a nice dongle system. You insert a regular usb thumbstick, their program connects to their license server once and turns your usb stick into a dongle. Then you do whatever you like.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the point of that? Don't Maya and XSI also use something like that? They're hacked too.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    It would be more convenient for the people who buy the game while it gives you the same level of DRM as the USB stick has a unique device id too.
  • Elith2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elith2 polycounter lvl 9
    I had no idea about that. I got really lucky then, I got a new graphics card just before I installed the game. Dodged a bullet there.

Are they just trying to purposely hack off every PC gamer to not buy there games so they can just back out of the PC gaming market?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Norron wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the makers of Anno 2070. They don't deserve to have Ubisoft taking this stance with their product and reviewers.

Pretty much, the makers of the anno series have made some really awesome pc-first games, and some of the better looking strategy games out there, these are fantastic games that don't deserve the hate they'll get for ubisofts drm.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3v1uGwc3c"]Anno 1404 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzhaOzyYojc&feature=related"]Anno 2070-PC Gameplay HD Maxed Out - YouTube[/ame]
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, visually it looks amazing, and it would be something I'd pick up - but I absolutely just cannot abide by Ubisoft DRM schemes, so won't.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i wonder if it pays out to have spent so much resources on drm for the 1 or 2 weeks after release where a cracked version might not be available

aside from having the whole fanbase hating on your company for the shitty drm

i do not dislike drm systems, but if youre going to put them in your software, make sure it better works and isnt a hassle for the user
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    dongles make sense until you lose them, or you start to have a lot of games :P
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Anno 1404 had its drm removed as a patch post release. I wonder if that will be the case tgis time

I wouldnt be too concerned about drm if i knew it would be gone once the initial sales had been secured.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Wellcome to the real life :)

Worse is to buy a game and can't play it because AMD/ATI drivers Sucks with our expensive hardware!!

BTW, i have no problems playing Assassin's Creed Revelations, sometimes i believe it does not have DRM... lucky me!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Anno 1404 had its drm removed as a patch post release. I wonder if that will be the case tgis time

I wouldnt be too concerned about drm if i knew it would be gone once the initial sales had been secured.

It was also removed entirely from steam :(

And yeah, like a guaranteed 1-month only drm period, not that the drm hinders any pirates though.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Norron wrote: »

yeah.. definitely not their fault.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    It's funny that I read this today as I was JUST about to purchase it. Now I won't and I do feel bad for the developers.
    As I work for a ubisoft developer it feels extra shitty.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I have to agree, why would I pay all this money when a couple of hardware changes and then BAM. No more play. I paid for the fucking game, if you take the game from me, give me a god damned refund.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Andreas wrote: »
    we can then have a THIRD online client when Ubi gets pissed off at that and starts its own 'Origin'. :poly124:

They already have Uplay.
    notman wrote: »
    Microsoft did this previously.
    Yeah but MS let you switch each critical component once, IIRC (CPU, GPU, RAM, Mobo). This doesn't let you upgrade a single thing ever.
    Noodle! wrote: »
    It's funny that I read this today as I was JUST about to purchase it. Now I won't and I do feel bad for the developers.
    Send envelope with money to developer. Pirate game. Fuck Ubisoft.

Edit: hm, that might actually motivate Ubisoft to come up with more acceptable methods. (if people were to do it in bunches)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Snader wrote: »
    Yeah but MS let you switch each critical component once, IIRC (CPU, GPU, RAM, Mobo). This doesn't let you upgrade a single thing ever.

Exactly. My post may have come across as defending this, but I mean to point out that MS had a better method. Personally, I don't like either approach at all.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    eld wrote: »

The Anno series is a fantastic series that ubisoft will end up murdering with tricks like this.

Oh God... I wish Valve had this policy! Surely they're big enough to be able to get away with something like that as a demand.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    notman wrote: »
    Exactly. My post may have come across as defending this, but I mean to point out that MS had a better method. Personally, I don't like either approach at all.

After looking more into it, I'm confused as hell. Apparently the rule I mentioned (and you did) only applies to [/b]OEM[/b] licenses. And even then, it's not super restrictive.

Apparently, every time you upgrade, you accrue 'points'. And supposedly a mobo is more points than a strip of ram. Once you reach a certain amounts of points, the key will no longer just work, but you have to call MS to activate it. However, over time these points get subtracted again. So basically you should be able to upgrade indefinitely, as long as you don't switch out parts too often. Which sounds pretty nice to me. (considering it's an OEM license)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Microsoft activation was laughable. You could always call them and say "my PC died, I got a new one" or "I upgraded something", and they would always reset the activation count. Always! Why they wasted money on this system, having a 24/7 hotline, is something I'll never know. They could have just done away with the entire activation thing or let everyone reset the count themselves.
    I called them numerous times - they didn't really give a damn what story you told them.
    Wesley wrote: »
    Oh God... I wish Valve had this policy! Surely they're big enough to be able to get away with something like that as a demand.
    Or give a clear warning (are they doing this?) anyway, I'm still upset I bought Fable III - console controls and that lame microsoft games thing?!? bah
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    What's funny is that there's one group of people who this WON'T affect...

:(