Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TKB-011. Some wierd Soviet prototype rifle

The Flying Monk
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
Posted this a few time in the WAYWO thread. Posting it here since I'm getting close to finished and need some feedback.

Its a prototype Soviet assault rifle build sometime in the 60's. Its got some modern looking features; bullpup, Bakelite plastic exterior and an ejection system similar to the FN-2000.

tkb-011_wip9.jpg
tkb-011_wip10.jpg

The base textures and materials are mostly right. Right now I'm focusing on adding some wear and tear. I want to avoid the scratched as hell look, where it looks like it was put in a tumble dryer full of rocks. Just enough to make it look like its seen some use.

Here's a photo of one of the versions. There are about three types I could find, so I just found the more interesting bits to use.
tkb-011_ref.jpg

Replies

• The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    I think the top of the....receiver? That is a weird ass design so I'm not really sure where exxactly the receiver starts but whatever. So the top of the recveir I think should be a little more round. It looks a little rounder in the references you posted. It looks a little odd being as square as it is on the back on yours. The image you posted it has a nice kind of flow to it being rounded more on the top of the receiver. Also I think the back in general on your model is just a tad bit too long. Kind of nit picky but I really like the prototype :p
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Only after looking at it for a few minutes (aside from the very awesome and unique design), I feel it lacks something. I'm thinking it's the 3 black holes near the nozzle, which in yours are more greyish.

Does it have a specular? In places it seems kind of does and doesn't (maybe you generated it from diffuse?). The gun has a very polished and greasy sort of specular but your's is a little "wider". The highlights are not as sharp and crisp.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    i agree about the spec/gloss which is slightly different than the reference picture (check the wood above the grip, the more matte mag) .. still kudos for recreating something other than the standard boring M4, and for doing it well! :thumbup:
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Played around with the spec and gloss. And mucked about with the plastic a bit more.
    part of the reason I choose this design was to stand out from the all of the M4's and AK's out there. But also because there are only 3 or 4 of these things ever built. So I figure I can fudge the shape a bit.

tkb-011_wip11.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    looks better, especially the wood. i have noticed that the front part of the barrel (the indents) seems a lot more angular in profile than the reference? but that'd entail going back to the modeling stage ;/

and yeah, i have started building a long list of unconventional firearms to build instead of M249's, G36's and M16's ... they get so boring, so quick. :thumbup: