Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Apartment modules

uk_resistant
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
So in an effort to update my portfolio and find work, I started this apartment block of the future.
It is meant to look cramped and industrial, as these modules are to solve a population problem rather then provide comfort.
Anyway, I am at the point where I some new eyes might help. I am currently dabbling with UDK as well so any useful resources you think might help for specific effects would be great - Im yet to find a environment map tutorial that doesn't fry my puny brain.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

*edit*
I hadnt realised how small this picture was. so here is a larger version as well as bit of a photshop edit of a direction i was thinking of going.

Regular

pFbyD.jpg

Photoshop edit

tSrde.jpg
cheers

Replies

• Hjholter3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly? How are the panels held together? The weathering you've put on the structure isn't as realistic without loose panels. The windows are too clean and the weathering / condensation shouldn't be so even - it rarely happens that way in nature. The dryer outlet should have condensation / grime / grease around and above as I imagine warm moist air would vent their and thus the structure would be dirtier in that location
  • Hjholter3
  • Hjholter3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some images of similar structures that might offer some inspiration as to weathering :check this out!
    anouther good one
    old but good
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    Cheers Hjholter3, saving that to my reference - got all your feedback in my notepad, ready to be looked at :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with most of what Hjholter3 said.

As for panels being held together, it is high tech so rivets don't necesarily have to be seen. Though something might help.

The dryer vents though are just all wrong. 1: that tubing is really flimsy and wouldn't hold shape like that, and would they still be using it on a hi tech place like this? Even so, it would point down so water didn't go into it.
    2:Usually the tubing ends at a vent on the wall, it just controls flow between a dryer and a vent.

Whatever you do with weathering, you should make like 2-3 panels. Right now they obviously tile, but if you randomly mix up 3 it wouldn't be noticeable.

I also don't see the paint taking much wear. It might be dirty, but nothing is rubbing against an apartment, so why would edges be chipped/worn?
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Is this based on the abandoned Sanzhi District? Either way, you got a good jump on the style, but I'd be careful with that weathering. That second shot has a lot of very uniform weathering so it ends up looking too noisy. So just make sure you have some areas cleaner than others to break that up.