Home Technical Talk

3DS Max to Zbrush prep

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, I've got a question I'm sure you guys can answer. I've got a model built in 3ds Max, it's just a basic sword, but I want to take it into Zbrush and add all sorts of nifty details to it.

I've never taken a mesh from Max into Zbrush before, so my question is what's the best way to do this. Do I take the High or Low poly mesh in? If it's the high-poly should I be doing anything special to it, or just exporting as an .obj? I've looked a bit online and most people I've found seem to export an unwrapped low-poly mesh, is this the best way? Anyways, any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

A humble noob.

Replies

• Ken Benson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Typically my high poly mesh is coming from zBrush.

I take a low poly into zbrush, divide the model, refine the model, divide, refine, divide, refine,..... Then use that high poly to bake my normal. If necessary I export the lowest subdivision for my new low poly. Depends on how much you change if this is necessary.

If you already have a high poly, you might be saving yourself some steps by bringing that model in, it all depends.

I do suggest that any model you bring into zBrush has mostly square shaped polys. A more extreme rectangle leads to stretched sculpting.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Excellent. Thank you.