Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Heavy Metal Battle Babe

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
What's up everyone? Just felt like sharing a character of mine that helped me to land my first modeling job at Ironclad games. I took some influence from Heavy Metal Magazine to create something of a tasteful and game ready battle babe.

I've since used zbrush's retopo tools to create game meshes, but I'd modelled about a 9000 tri base mesh in Maya for this piece. I used a variety of normal mapping techniques to find the best results and eventually settled on using Xnormal for the Normal map and AO bakes. I’d named her the Seeker after putting this Frazetta inspired pose together.

The Beauty...

NatPage_06.gif

No Lights Breakdown..

NatPage_07.gif
NatPage_08.gif
NatPage_09.gif
NatPage_10.gif
NatPage_11.gif

Some Conceptual stuff. I like to make either a nice sketch or if I have the time, a sculpey maquette before each of my personal projects.

NatPage_23.gif
NatPage_24.gif
NatPage_25.gif
NatPage_28.jpg
NatPage_29.gif

That's her! Hope you enjoy :)

Replies

• jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Good job. The face in the final image is especially well done.

Critiques: The hips turned out kind of blocky in the final and her right arm looks a little strange. The form looks a little off in the silhouette line from her left armpit down the lats, around the hip and down the thigh - specifically the angle of the hips and distribution of mass. Maybe I'm thinking of idealized superhero proportions, but her head looks large compared to her body. I like the bigger dagger in the concept.

Congrats on the job. It's good to see Vancouver grads making it.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with jmt on the hips but really overall awesome work.
    the maquette is super clean.
    Inspiring me to whip out the super sculpy and wire... sheeeit.

anyways good work
  • AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    In retrospect Id have to say I agree, for the amount of detail I gave to the face I could have spent a little more polys smoohing out those facets on the body.