Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Badass Hell Hamer of Doom.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Maybe it's not really all that badass. It's just a hammer. Found the concept on Cghub and thought I'd give it a go. I started this because I want to start learning how to use Zbrush, which I used once ages ago and got annoyed with. Hopefully I can wrap my head around it this time.

Here's a link to my concept. It's by some artist named Joe Wilson: http://cghub.com/images/view/73250/

And here's where I'm at with the Zbrush sculpt. I made a base mesh in maya. I had to start over when I realized that I had to make some edge loops to support the shape when I begun sub-dividing in Zbrush. That was a hard lesson. Much anger.

I'm pretty sure the part you crack skulls with is too small. I figure I can scale it up some when I go to make the low poly.

This is my plan:

- Finish the sculpting (mainly the bottom half of it, and and details here and there.

- Take it into 3Dcoat and retopo it there or just do it in Zbrush.

- Texture in Photoshop.

Would love some critiques on this or a heads up if I'm doing anything wrong. I'm new to the whole Zbrush/high poly workflow thing, so it'd be appreciated.

36436526.jpg

Replies

• Xelan101
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks pretty good so far. I actually started modeling this concept months ago in 3DS Max, then somehow I got bored with it for no good reason o.O anyways it looks to me like going into Zbrush would have been the better approach. Keep it up.

Oh and don't forget the rivets on the that rectangular plate that keep it on the hammer.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 - Yeah, I don't think I could've gotten this far without a sculpting program. I'll add those rivets too.
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like its gonna break after the first hit. i mean it looks a bit to thin to me. but again that me
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac - Yeah, I'm trying to stay a bit true to the concept. it's pretty damn thin in the concept as well.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Still plugging away at this. Spent a bit of time learning Topogun instead of 3DCoat.

Maaaaan. Topogun is so awesome. I did a test bake of the normals and it came out a lot better than I expected.

I have a question I was hoping someone more experienced could answer.

The pic is in Topogun. Where I drew those blue lines, should I be adding adges that go along there? Or is that just too much geo?

thank.

capturevqk.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    I started testing some bakes out of Topogun. I can't believe how fast it is. Highest settings and it takes less than 3 seconds.

Anyhow, still not sure if I should add that extra geometry down the edges yet. Going to retopo everything else soon.

Feedback appreciated.

capturepe.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo everyone. Back with another update on this hammer. I finished the high and low poly models and done the baking down. Done an AO bake as well. Gonna start on textures and shaders next.

Any crits so far?

capturexj.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with another update. Not finished with the texture yet. I want to try and bring some more color into it. Might tone down the noise on it too. Gonna do a spec map once I figure out how to do them.

Still not sure how I should approach the hot parts that are in the concept. I think I might just have to paint them in, and also paint in the lighting that it causes on the rest of the model.

Rendering with marmoset for the moment. Really nice program.

Let me know what you think.

screenshot1wdl.png
  • BreaK-
    Looks good, kinda looks like something from the Afro Samurai game. Needs more colour though.

Are there not 2 kinda screw holes on the engraved piece too?

Keep going man. :)
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    BreaK- - Thanks. Yeah, I want a sort of styilized look to it. Gonna work that color in. Someone already reminded me about those screws and I still forgot. Will add.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo. Another update. Worked on the texture. Tried to push towards a more styilized look. Unless anyone has any suggestions, I think I'll move on and start something else. Maybe a shield to go with it.

screenshot1edyq.png

• marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I think it needs more color, it's very monochromatic as is.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche - Damn man, I forgot. Do you mean the stone texture needs to have more colors in it?
  • Korrax
    Looking great! I like the stylized painterly look on this a lot.

One thing that sticks out is the lack of material definition. When I look at this I cant tell what its made out of. For example, the handle has the same color and look as the hammer.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Korrax - Thanks. The painterly, styilized look was an accident. But I liked it too so I went with it. The problem with the material is that the concept is like that. Whole thing seems to be just made of stone. http://cghub.com/images/view/73250/
  • Korrax
    I see.. You don't always have to match concepts 100%. You should try to make it better. Imo, concepts are there just for a guideline.

If its all metal, and that's what you want to do with yours then I would try to make it look more like a metal material. Get some high contrast spec or gloss in there and sell it as being metal. You could also try making a wooden handle to contrast the metal - wood, which i think would add more interest overall. I would also add some emmisive on that red/orange and make it glow a bit. I think it would make it look more"hot"
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Korrax - Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I might try breaking away from the concept and adding in some wood. I didn't want to make it look like metal. More like stone, that's why I've got hardly any specular. I'll try the emissive too.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Played with the colors a bit. Tied to get more of that purple like in the concept, and tried to mix up the materials. Used an emissive map to help out the front. Let me know if it lookes better.

screenshot4tg.png