Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

User Interface Art Assets

UI art for a mock up of a Game Title and other UI elements that were created for a Viking themed art challenge. Looking for critiques! Thanks ahead of time.

trollbane_submit.png

I will have more info on what each element is used for and other misc. explanations.

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I dig the style of these. The biggest thing I can notice is the readability of the button/icons. The way the broad borders are same brightness as the symbols makes it hard to see what they are at a glance. I'd pull in the border on the buttons so they aren't so wide, and maybe darken up the boarders in general so the important bits stand out.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Looks pretty cool to me, except the slider seems weird being brightest when it is to the left (typically low) and dark to the right (typically high).
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    agreed with above comments
  • Mitchell Banks
    - Slum
    Thanks for the response, and I'm glad you dig this. I tightened up the boarders on the buttons as well as darken them. I also lightened up the letter of the rune itself to pop it out just a bit more. I hope the changes were what you were looking for. It looks like the changes worked out for the better, thanks for the help! Anything else you might notice, please give me a heads up.

- m4dcow
    You are absolutely correct, thanks for noticing that! Please let me know if you see any more errors. I'm enjoying this feedback.

- Jessica Dinh
    haha, I would have to agree with them as well. Thanks for posting.

game_title.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty cool, dig the use of ruins stone, and vines.

I actually feel the slider bar seems too clean comparatively, and the boxes to the left. But I guess that can depend what they are for, how they are used.
  • Mitchell Banks
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Pretty cool, dig the use of ruins stone, and vines.

I actually feel the slider bar seems too clean comparatively, and the boxes to the left. But I guess that can depend what they are for, how they are used.

Glad you dig'em. That reminds me, I should post on here what each element is used for.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    Is this something you do professionally as well? I see a lot of GUI jobs posted and it is something I wouldn't mind doing but don't really know a lot about, especially any animation aspects to it.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    I like these a lot! Great job man. A side note... took me forever to realize that was an N and not a D in the word "bane." The way the bottom of the N rolls back to the left really made it read as a D. Just thought you might want to know. But I really love the style, keep up the good work!
  • Mitchell Banks
    Is this something you do professionally as well? I see a lot of GUI jobs posted and it is something I wouldn't mind doing but don't really know a lot about, especially any animation aspects to it.

This is something I am aiming towards to do professionally. If you are interested in doing UI work, create UI elements like I have attempted to do here. I would also look into learning Flash and the fundamentals of UDK. I am working with Scaleform, and it's a great tool to use to implement your .SWF files for any interactive interfaces that are animated or even non animated and you just want it to be functional. If you have more questions about GUI, feel free to pm me and we can discuss further about it.
  • Mitchell Banks
    artquest wrote: »
    I like these a lot! Great job man. A side note... took me forever to realize that was an N and not a D in the word "bane." The way the bottom of the N rolls back to the left really made it read as a D. Just thought you might want to know. But I really love the style, keep up the good work!

I see that too... Hrm. Is it possible that the vine and the leaf is causing it to feel connected? I do know what you mean though, the way the bottom right of the letter looks like it's reaching out and trying to connect to the left side. I will see what I can do. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Mitchell Banks
    - artquest

How is this? Cleared up the vines and made the letter N more apparent that it's the letter N and not a letter D.

game_title_02.png
  • Mitchell Banks
    Small update on the magic and health bars to help further explain the colors of the leaves changing and other minor touch ups.

ui_001.png
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small but nice update. But why did the colors of the leafs change from the full hp version to the low hp version?
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    It would be cool if when your health is full, all the leaves are green, but when the health bar diminishes, the colors of the leaves turn more brownish and die :)
  • Mitchell Banks
    Seirei wrote: »
    Small but nice update. But why did the colors of the leafs change from the full hp version to the low hp version?

Thanks. When the bar gets closer to 100%, I figured it would be cool if the leafs would turn (or even glow) the color of the bar.
  • Mitchell Banks
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    It would be cool if when your health is full, all the leaves are green, but when the health bar diminishes, the colors of the leaves turn more brownish and die :)

Ahh, that is a very cool idea! I think I will have it turn brown and wilt the closer it is too 0% like you mentioned. I should have thought of that myself. I am thinking that the color of the leafs will turn the color of the bar the closer it is to 100%. Thanks for the critique!