Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HL2 Pistol remake

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
MeintevdS keyframe
So I started working on the Half Life 2 Pistol model, and here are my first screens. Highpoly is pretty close to being done.

The model will be replacing the in-game model if everything goes as planned. The magazine isn't accurate I realize this, but since it's barely/not visible in the game I don't wanna spend to much time on it. I gave it some detail to make it believable for the few times you might see a bit of it.

I'm posting it here for any tips and/or criticism, so go wild :)

meintevds_HL2Pistol_remake_back.jpg
meintevds_HL2Pistol_remake_front.jpg

Thank you for watching!

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lots more reference images needed for this gun
    grip is too curvy, trigger area is just plain wrong
    bolts on pistol grip don't need to be there
    no magazine release button

sample ref
    http://forum.rap4.com/paintball-gallery/albums/userpics/10002/IMG_3460.jpg
  • greenglow2004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    lots more reference images needed for this gun
    grip is too curvy, trigger area is just plain wrong
    bolts on pistol grip don't need to be there
    no magazine release button

sample ref
    http://forum.rap4.com/paintball-gallery/albums/userpics/10002/IMG_3460.jpg

Slightly dissagree, seeing as its a remake of this http://www.combineoverwiki.net/w/images/9/9a/USP_Match.jpg I think he pretty much nailed it, however I agree that the bolts on the grip do look out of place.

I think if you change it too much to be like the real life version you will lose the half life 2 feel of the weapon.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    If you are going for using real reference for it i guess http://rusmil.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/imgp0745.jpg is closer?

I agree with greenglow, not feeling the bolts on the grip.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    The grip is what need some work in my opinion. I think you got some decent ref posted, keep it up and make this believable ;) Keep it up!
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Ah yes I did cheat on the grip a bit :p Mostly because it will barely/not be visible in game. But I'll revisit that area, it'll look better in my portfolio too even though it won't be visible in the game itself.

@n88tr: You have some good points and I completely forgot about the magazine release switch. I'll remove the bolts since I only put them in there as some extra detail, but now that I look at it they do seem unneeded an random.

@greenglow2004: Yar like you said, it's a remake of the HL2 pistol and not so much the reallife USP. That's why I take some liberties and go for fantasy rather than 100% reference sometimes, just to keep the HL2 feel. I'll remove the bolts and I'll look at the grip some more.

@Shiv: Yes I did find a few references that looked more similar to the HL2 pistol which I'm using. Didn't find that one though, thanks!

@sltrOlsson: Thanks, I'm on it ;)

I'm at work now but I'll work more on this tonight. Thanks for the replies guys.
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    HL2 pistol is just ordinary real life USP Match

If you do same detail as this guy did then you will have next gen HL2 pistol :P
    https://plus.google.com/photos/103251161303647936531/albums/5569509046623751505?banner=pwa
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Sooo I didn't spend as much time on it yesterday as I hoped. Small update non the less.
    Especially adding the few extra ribs to the backside of the metal slide took me some time :p Not sure if I took the best approach, but hey.. I got there in the end ;)

Oh and about the grip, I realize the dots on the grip aren't there on the real life pistol, but personally I'm not a huge fan of how the grip looks on the real pistol, so I think I'll keep the dots just because I personally think it looks better.

As before C&C are welcome! (also if my presentation sucks, please do tell)
    meintevds_HL2Pistol_remake_wip01.png
    And the original model to compare to. (obviously the credits go to valve/whoever it was @ valve who created it.)
    HL2Pistol_original.png
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8
    That must be the world model because the view models textures were not so low res...
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Took some quick screenshots from hlmv, And also if you need help getting it into game i might could help you.
    c8bd342dd84963af13bc01beb268a490d4af332a6b09e52ede03f97f740ecc9e5g.jpg
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Well after some fighting around with maya, normals and all that fun shizz. Here are my 2 updates. Excuse me for the over the top post effects, but it's my first time using them so I'm allowed to go a bit overboard for once :p

HL2_pistol_normaldone.png
    HL2_pistol_normaldone_front.png
    Will be putting the pistol into the game now, and then it's time to start the textures.
  • DirkJan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirkJan polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good MeintevdS. Looks like you went a bit overboard with the post fx. Its a bit blurry but from what I can see its a good clean bake though you might wanna crank up the levels a bit to get a bit more out of the normal map

What is the tri-count on this baby?
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Yar you're right on the post FX, won't do that again. Just came across it in marmoset so figured I'd use it this one time.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can make the normal map a bit more obvious in photoshop.

Polycount is sitting at 2491 at the moment, but I haven't optimized it yet. Since it's the viewport model I'm still gonna delete some faces that will never be visible, just to save some extra triangles.

Meanwhile I've been fighting with compiling, figuring out how to get it into the game. Gave me some frustrations, few tears and a lot of facepalms. But I got it to work with some help of a friend on steam. I'm still using the normal map as a texture here and the model isn't using the normal map as normal map yet. But that's what I'll be figuring out next. After that I'll be starting on the textures!

pistol_ingame_01.jpg