Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Tutorial] Machine Pistol

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 16
TUTORIAL ON HOLD

Well, im back with another gun from Deus Ex, but this time im doing things a bit differently. Throughout my process ill be recording my work, and posting it up here for feedback, so anything brought up here for critique will be addressed in the video, thus making it better for everyone else. :D

Ive already started with the first two videos, and the next section will probably be put into a few videos, since the vimeo upload limit is 500mb per week.

so here are the videos:

Part 1: Planning and Reference

[vv]34267087[/vv]

Part 2: Blockout

[vv]34931218[/vv]

Part 3: High Poly

Part 4: Low Poly

Part 5: UV/Baking

Part 6: Texturing

And i wll start my progress here.

This is the concept:

MP_Concept.jpg

end of blockout.

MP_Blockout.jpg

Hope you all enjoy, and i hope to hear some great feedback. :D

Replies

• Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, I happen to be working on a gun right now, myself. I noticed you don't necessarily attach all pieces to each other.. as in model them into the same mesh. I realize that isn't necessary in the high-poly, but is it standard in the low? I'm sorry if you mentioned it in the videos and I missed it.

To Clarify, this isn't a critique, it's a question because I'm new :)
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet fella, I've seen some of your previous weapon modelling on NGHS and it's pretty damn good, this project should be really useful for people :]
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, I happen to be working on a gun right now, myself. I noticed you don't necessarily attach all pieces to each other.. as in model them into the same mesh. I realize that isn't necessary in the high-poly, but is it standard in the low? I'm sorry if you mentioned it in the videos and I missed it.

Polygon groups dont matter, in the end it all comes down to the on card vertex count. if you feel like splitting your mesh to simplify the UVs or for animation or any number of reasons, you can. Just keep track of the on card vertex count.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    You're one of the gods of Weapon modeling in my book. Will be keeping an eye on this.
  • Muttt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muttt polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you for this, it's helpful to newbies :D
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    I miss modelling guns :( This looks great, will be watching it :)
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Great tuts, we're watching :]
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    You have my attention... do go on. :) That is one nice gun concept. I am loving the shapes. I need to find a highrez version of it if. Looking forward to the rest of the process videos.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Subscribed! I'm working on a pistol at the moment, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your videos so I can steal some pro tricks from you ;)

Thanks for putting time and effort into this!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

He's just modeling the blockout, just a rough representation that has the right overall shape and proportions that he can use as a reference when doing the actual high and low poly models.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Nice, thanks man !
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    This is fantastic!!
  • airage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airage polycounter lvl 13
    Blockout looks good so far! Thanks a lot for doing the videos :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet stuff dude, thanks for sharing!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    will check out your new stuff later! :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yogensya polycounter lvl 9
    I'm really looking forward to this tutorial, thanks a lot for taking the time. :)
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Polygon groups dont matter, in the end it all comes down to the on card vertex count. if you feel like splitting your mesh to simplify the UVs or for animation or any number of reasons, you can. Just keep track of the on card vertex count.

Ah okay, thank you. I realize my question is really basic and noobish, I've just been confused on the subject for some time. I read one thing, a peer tells me another and so forth. So there is nothing wrong with me splitting my gun up like he did in his block out? (separate elements, I mean) All that matters is that I keep track of my vertex count, etc?

Thanks again, and I don't mean to derail this at all, obviously I'm excited for the tutorial as I obviously need it. XD
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okay, thank you. I realize my question is really basic and noobish, I've just been confused on the subject for some time. I read one thing, a peer tells me another and so forth. So there is nothing wrong with me splitting my gun up like he did in his block out? (separate elements, I mean) All that matters is that I keep track of my vertex count, etc?

Pretty much :)
    Thanks again, and I don't mean to derail this at all, obviously I'm excited for the tutorial as I obviously need it. XD

Don't worry much about asking questions, that's what the forums are for. There is hardly ever a dumb question when it comes to 3d art.

Just remember, 3D work varies a lot and not very standardized, a lot will vary and depend on your engine and your pipeline, so you may hear some places do things very differently from others because of a number of factors. If you are just trying to put together a portfolio, you have a lot less limitations.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Looking forward to the rest of this. I'm trying to do as many Max tuts as I can fit into my spare time at the moment. As a Maya user I'm finding Max to be really convoluted and counter-intuitive, it's exactly how I felt when I first picked up Maya XD

Also, why the heck is there no shelf? That's where all my buttons go!
  • greenglow2004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work dude, great job and thanks for the tutorials !
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to the rest of this. I'm trying to do as many Max tuts as I can fit into my spare time at the moment. As a Maya user I'm finding Max to be really convoluted and counter-intuitive, it's exactly how I felt when I first picked up Maya XD

Also, why the heck is there no shelf? That's where all my buttons go!

Maya has broken your fragile little mind.

:):):):)
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Pretty much :)

Don't worry much about asking questions, that's what the forums are for. There is hardly ever a dumb question when it comes to 3d art.

Just remember, 3D work varies a lot and not very standardized, a lot will vary and depend on your engine and your pipeline, so you may hear some places do things very differently from others because of a number of factors. If you are just trying to put together a portfolio, you have a lot less limitations.

Awesome, I guess I should just start posting stuff then.

Thanks again, this community is friendlier than I imagined it, it's a nice surprise :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    yes blockouts, i always seem to mess those up and starting adding my support loops, before done. hehe

than usually down the road i realize i didn't save a copy with out support loops for the LP.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Im waiting for my update :( . loool!
  • Infocus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will there be a new update soon? :)
  • leon huo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what i want,Thanks,can't wait to see the update.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    :( i feel terrible.

ive had to put this on hold for a bit due to some important work that has come up. no guarantee that i'll get back to it. i think i was really overthinking when i started this because i did not know how much time and effort really was needed to put into a tutorial. i did think of going the route of just recording my progress without voiceover but then again as part of a tutorial, i would want to explain what im doing.

i may or may not actually even do that gun anymore, but that doesnt mean i wont be posting up other little tips and tricks from time to time. im working on getting the tutorials section of my website up right now and once that is added, ill be posting up smaller tutorials, instead of one gigantic one (not counting the tileable textures tutorial)