Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fel Orc

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Azkur polycounter lvl 8
Hey so i am a student in vanarts finishing this march the game art program and this is the first finished piece i post around here i have been working on it for a while and enjoyed doing it a lot i hope you guys like it as well its based on the fel orc from world of warcraft, and thanks for the great artists around here that keep me going forward with my art, and special thanks to jriva for helping me out become the artist i am today. C&C Welcome

096_max.jpg

Replies

• JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWarren polycounter lvl 5
    Looks pretty cool, I like the scar. The fingers are a bit too slender for an orc's hands, if you check out some references online you'd see that they are far thicker and larger than what you have in the model. The straps, buckles, and armor plating seem a little too slim and flimsy for an orc character as well. Something about his neck and trap muscles dont seem quite right to me, they look like they are pulled towards his back a bit too much and they don't really look like they connect with the clavicle. His two eyes also don't seem to be a part of the same facial expression if that makes sense.
  • droarty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely done! has a really nice style to it. Be great to add some occlusion to help with depth.
    I know Jon very well.. your lucky and in great hands.. all the best in your job hunt and well done!
    -Dan
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Dan stole my comment regarding AO. Shadows in general are missing. Really high calibre for student. Great job. Regarding pose, make a choice to where his weight is. Might be nice to see his weight shifting forward and onto his front leg. It will make it more aggressive and like he's about to lunge at you. Also depending on the style and how realistic you want to go. Have a look at some tattoo reference for some details regarding how they fade and blend with skin. They look a bit ink blottish. Very nice stuff!

Dave
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty good for student work man. A good lighting pass (cast shadows!) would do wonders for the shot.
  • SINtuition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, I like the face. As the anatomy goes, I keep coming back to the pecs. It feels like they protrude to far laterally past the chest. Hope it helps!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work, I'd work a little bit more on the presentation, especially the lighting. :)
  • RPTGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it is worth pushing this model that bit extra because it warrants it to be honest. With a nice AO pass and some extra loving to the textures and lighting, this could be a really nice piece. The pose is lovely, very nice sense of weight and mass. I quite like the relaxed nature of it, just because he is a "beastie" doesn't mean that he has to look like he is about to tear a head off. It is a nice change.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Droarty- thanks a lot. it actually as AO that i baked in Xnormal i will make it stronger.
    Yeah he is great and thanks!

3DLam Thanks a lot. yeah just noticed i must have forgotten to turn on the cast shadows in marmoset or something. regarding the pose yeah i agree but i think it as more to due with my crappy rig than anything else i really need to get better at it. the marks on his skin were not suposed to be tattos but rather an actual part of his skin i tried adding it to the normal map to enhance that effect but it didnt work out. thanks once again Dave.

Popmgear- thanks a lo. yeah i will make sure i will turn it on on the next update.

SINtuition- Thanks the face is my favorite as well JRiva helped me alot i was doing a more traditional orc face and he advised me to use an animal as reference for character which made it way better. yeah maybe a bit i will check it out. thaks a lot

chrisradsby- thanks yeah i need to get better at lighting and presentation as well.

RPTGB- Thanks i was getting tired of the model but with so much feedback from you guys i think i will probably give it the extra polish for my demoreel. thanks a lot for the feedback

Thanks everyone for the kind words and critics i will definitely take it into account on the next update!
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    hi again so i did a new lighting setup as well as strengthening the overall AO i also activated the cast shadows which were not on on the previous one for some reason so what you think?

orc2.jpg
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Update looks like an improvement to me! I have to agree with some of the other posters that the chest feels a bit too wide. I'm also having a bit of trouble with the pose of the left arm, I think it might feel better if his wrist was rotated some laterally.

I think the texture res on the boots seems lower than on the thigh plate, I might be wrong though. If it is lower in resolution, although its probably too late for you to change, you could try running a sharpen filter on that portion of the texture to try to get some of that blurriness out of there. Might be worth a shot.

Some alpha tattering on the cloth might be a nice addition too.

Again, just my suggestions, in the end you gotta go with what you think looks good. Keep up the good work
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    loving the render but i agree with foreverendering the boots seem a bit low res, its the only thing that i noticed when i first saw it
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    thanks everyone i think it might be because i exaggerated the DOF i will psot an update soon thanks for the crits they are most appreciated!