Home Technical Talk

3dsm Viewport Canvas question

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys

At this point, I'm too far into production pipeline to use anything else, so I'm stuck with Viewport Canvas until the end of the project.

I usually manage fine with it, my only issue for it is there seems to be no way to add a falloff effect to your brush based on the angle of polys so that it doesn't paint on polys pointing away from the screen.

I always, always end up with either detail painted on the reverse side of a thin mesh, or most of the time its just detail that you place on say, a cylinder, that gets stretched on the faces that are not perpendicular to the screen.

For painting, I use Screen Projection instead of Hit Normal since hit normal is crazy on complex models (texturing FPS guns).

Are there any scripts anybody knows of for viewport canvas that make it suck less?

I do have Mudbox installed, do you suggest I take my objs and paint there? I remember trying Mudbox out and was wierded out by how the painting works.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I have found Viewport Canvas only useful for fixing texture seems, and not really much else.

If you have Photoshop CS Extended you can try the 3D stuff there. Mudbox is probably you're best option.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screen Projection is going to cause that overspray around corners, the only way to keep the brush facing the surface is to use the Hit Normal.

You can't adjust the falloff of the brush, other than adjusting its hardness, the shortcut is ctrl-alt-drag up or down.
    Shift-ctrl = radius
    Shift-Alt = opacity

If you're not using a tablet you should shut off Opacity under Tablet Pressure, otherwise a mouse click will just dump paint like a air brush.

I agree mudbox is your best option, it at least lets you view the normal map on the model in the viewport while painting on the diffuse, which viewport canvas doesn't. It's good for extremely simple hand painted stuff, but not much more.