Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Test - Please Crit

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
I just got my first invitation to do an art test. The company does primarily low poly phone games and the test is for environment artist. I have mostly worked on characters in the past but I'm up for the challenge.

I want this to look nice so I'm going to offer it up here to try and get some good tips on how to really move this thing forward.

Here are the specs:

Max: 4k triangles, 512x512 texture map

Here is where I'm at:

3800 triangles, about 1/3 of my texture map left.

The company wants this in .max and I don't own 3d Max.

Should I:

A. tell them the tools I use are not important - I'll give them a mesh in whatever file format they like.

B. download a student version of 3d Max and pretend I know how to use it.

textures are pretty rough atm - The shader is a splat map shader written for iphone and it supports 2 UV's so I have my diffuse on one UV and a lightmap on the other.

The character is a cameo role being played by a portfolio piece from last year.

LINK:
http://www.zenchuck.com/unity/art_test.html

Replies

• Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    If they asked specifically for a Max deliverable I would find yourself a way to generate a max version of the scene using a free trial download or a friend's copy of Max.

By the way, I love the way that's looking so far.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I'd personally tell them that you do not own 3ds Max/are unfamiliar with 3ds Max, and tell them what software you know.

Why haven't you already mentioned that you do not know Max?

I'd get the trial or educational/unemployed license they have and import the files into 3ds Max and deliver it that way, though.

Also, are you supposed to be sharing the art test? Most art tests are not supposed to be shared in this fashion.

I'm not really sure where you're using all your triangles, it seems a bit simpler than 4k tris.

It looks nice so far, but it's very monochromatic.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would do both

I use to make a lot of models for people and give them the file in there native format
    They eventually started assuming i used max because i imported/Exported from max and i never got to partake in certain projects because i wasn't a max user
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I beat Viking, had a fun time. Proof:

p8Zf2.png

vi3Ab.png

edit: sorry this post has nothing to do with your art test
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    i definitely wouldnt pretend to know something you dont, thats asking for trouble. tbh if you know how to model and texture then learning max isnt too difficult (although if you've come from maya you'll swear a lot at how much more clunky the workflow is). just deliver the work in a generic file format and explain that you dont know max but would be happy to learn. if its a test for a full time job then you'll have no problems, although it wouldnt hurt getting a copy of max and putting some time into it too.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I beat Viking, had a fun time. Proof:

I did not even know that was possible.

*edit* just read my response again and I sound like a douche gettin all high and mighty with my alternative software. I need to use/learn Max.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, one day away and I'm 8 pages deep. This forum really moves.

I updated the webplayer - so any last comments before I submit this thing are appreciated. I still have a few hours to change things up.

environment is 3609 triangles with a 512x512 diffuse and light map
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Tamarin wrote: »
    I updated the webplayer - so any last comments before I submit this thing are appreciated. I still have a few hours to change things up.

Looks pretty good!

Maybe some invisible walls on the outer edges to stop the player falling off into the abyss?
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggest placing some vertical planes around the edges and removing the mesh renderer component for a quick fix, as far as boundaries go. I also suggest removing jumping completely, as it just looks choppy and overall may reflect badly.

Other than that, it looks fantastic! The lighting looks spectacular, and the style is solid; I think overall, it's a fantastic art test.
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    I did my naughty dog test in max but exported it to maya to turn in. I definitely recommend using a program you're comfortable with to do your test to create the best art you can without fumbling with the tools. Then give it to them in whatever format you need to. I picked up maya after working at Naughty Dog for just a week. Art > program.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't get it - so congrats to whoever did.