Hey !

New project for this new year :D
I decided to work on a futuristic building with clean texture
Here’s where I’m at for the moment :

Render01.jpg

I blocked out some ideas as well :

plop.jpg

This needs some paintover.

The shader used for this building is pretty simple (I can post it in details if you want). But basically, what it does is :
Common things like specular/emissive/specular power/reflection multipliers, switches to add : decals / details normal map (you can see it on the concrete part on the first image) and values to tint the overall diffuse and an other one to tint the decals.
I wanted the decals to be added directly in the material and not on top of the mesh with the decal actor in the UDK.

Quick overview of it :
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RWm4WwWjw&list=UUvUmQ_0zyedQFrwlvvHAgRw&index=1&feature=plcp"]Shader - YouTube[/ame]

A flat to let you see what I need to make it works :

FLAT_TopPart.jpg

Top left : diffuse (need to do it white to be able to tint it)
Top right : Guess what ;)
Bottom left : R = Reflction - G = Emissive - B = Spec Power
Bottom right : R = Specular - G = Decals - B = Diffuse tinting mask

I also used the parallax feature to simulate depth inside the building :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCEqVg8GFY4&list=UUvUmQ_0zyedQFrwlvvHAgRw&index=2&feature=plcp"]Parallax - YouTube[/ame]

There is just some modeling to make the effect even more believable (and to have something interesting when looking from a corner) but it’s really simple modeling.

Offices_modules_textures.jpg

See ya on the next update ;)

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    so are you using subuv's or somekinda UV paning to switch the number decal, or it is just mapped directly to the meshs 2nd uvset
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, nice to see you doing it again, Gaetan.
    Though so far it really reminds me Thiagos' project:
    http://www.thiagoklafke.com/sleekbuilding.html
    Could be a conscious choice, but just in case.

Since it is slick and clean, i think it would be interesting to concentrate on bold colors and bright lighting, sort of like mirrors edge. And maybe more aggressive and sharp shapes in some places, 'cause I don't remember that kind of shapes, lighting and design being used together much.
    Anyway it's your call and look very interesting so far.

Btw, didn't really get where how you're using the texture from the 'insides' shot.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    I thought the same thing as d1ver when I saw this, but it looks cool and I like clean sci fi. lookin good
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    i fuckin love you! :D
  • alloa
    Offline / Send Message
    alloa polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, nicely so far!
    Thanks for sharing your process and maps descriptions! :thumbup:
  • IxenonI
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Thanks for sharing, cool results and a very interesting approach!
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Love it! Looking forward to an update! Subscribed :)
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there !

Thanks for the comms !

@passerby : Yeah, I’m using the second UV channel for the decals. I’m using the third UV channel if I want a lightmap for the asset.
    @d1ver : Yup, Minotaur0 is in my ref folder for this project. Same goes for Gray shuko (awesome artist I worked with (these footbridges are really inspired by his work)), Autodestruct and Peris. And of course, a lot of architecture photographs :D

For the color, yes, I want to stick to bold colors + Black and white (+ some dark/light grey at some places). As for the lighting, I’m using 2 directionnal lights right now (gonna tweak that a little in the futur), but yeah, bright lighting is what I want. By the way, maybe I gonna make a night version lighting as well.
    As for the aggressive and sharp shapes, I tried that, and I’m not really convinced. For example, I tried this kinda shape for the bottom part :

plop2.jpg
    But I think there is too much contrast between the top and the bottom.

Finally, for the interior texture, you’re totally right I forgot to mention that it’s an other 256² texture

@coots7 : Thanks !
    @Razorb : Stop saying that; it’s making me blush :D
    @alloa : Marchi bien m’sieur ;)
    @IxenonI : Thanks !
    @sltrOlsson : Thanks; and here is the update :D

So, I was playing around with the mid and bottom part, (because what I had before wasn’t really what I wanted) and I ended with this :

plop3.jpg
    Maybe there will be some change but not that much I think.

As you can see, I gonna use a lot of glass for the bottom (so I’ll have to do the interior as well).

Because the bottom part will be really simple in term of shape/details, I wanted the top part (starting from the second terrace) to be richer in details, as you can see on the screens below :

Render03.jpg

Render04.jpg
    I have to add AO meshes at the base of the guardrail’s plugs (I’ll update this screen tonight :D)

Render05.jpg

Render06.jpg

Render07.jpg

Glass shader is WIP

3 more (2 of them are parts that are behind the building, so, not visible on the previous screens)

Render02.jpg

At first, I wasn’t planning to detail the footbridges but I think it adds a lot to be able to walk on them, it gives a new perspective of the building.

Next part I’ll do, will be the terrace with the props + doors for the footbridge. See ya for the next update :)
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Dope... I love this!
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I approve of this ! twice !

great work man :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this is too awesome!
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    This is pretty slick. I dig the shapes you've got going on. Looking forward to more.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccck this stuff looks nice!
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is gorgeous! I love your solution for fixing the contrasting top and bottom of the building while keeping the curved pillars on the bottom.

I look forward to more :)
  • dii
    Absolutely beautiful!

Some minor critique:

I'm not a huge fan of the over-sized silver safety-rail looking thing you have going around the top. Combined with the super thick cables I think it's hurting the sense of scale.

You also may want to reconsider the size/angle of your solar panels so that they are actually visible from the lower levels. At the moment they're kind of lost from any view except aerial.
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot everybody !

@dii : Yeah you’re right about this safety rail, it was a little too thick (same goes for the cylinder with the fence and ladder). I made it thinner, and it also goes less high (now, the second rail (the higher one) is approximatively as high as the character i’m using). So, it’s still big but it needs to be readable from the ground, and if you look on the screens where you can see the whole structure from the bottom, it’s not that much of a problem (an other problem if I made it like human size friendly, it’ll probably result in a bad aliasing).

As for the solar pannels, it’s just for logical reasons that I put them there and facing the sky. I probably gonna put some more on the terrace and on the floor. But because I’ll get some aerial screenshots, these ones will stay there.

Here’s the updated screenshot of the footbridge (AO meshes on the yellow guardrail’s plugs + some small decals). By the way, you can see on this screenshot that the size of the safety rail on the top of the building is thinner and less high than before ;)

Render04_AO.jpg
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    i absolutely love the blue on the outside of the building, i dont know what it is about the material but i love it, it's matte and yet still looks cool, i know this sounds like a dumb question but what did you do in the material to make it look like that??
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I love it! Great use of colors and resources, looking forward to seeing where you will take this :D
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    popcorn.jpg

i iz ready. u may proceed

:o
  • lewist
    Really awesome stuff. I always feel like making something look clean is often way harder than making something look really grimy. Keep it up!
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    subscribed, I really like how your subway scene turned out, definitely looking forward to this one. :D
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, I love how the scene's coming along.

I was wondering how you did the shader for the faked parallax offices though. I'd love to see your nodes if you wouldn't mind. It's a really great effect.
  • snow
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    your work is always amazing.

do you bake most of your normals or use ndo etc?

where do you draw your inspiration from? i love the shapes and details in all your work.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

*Subscribes*
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there !

@dpaynter26 : Thanks a lot !
    To be honest, there’s nothing really special about the material. I’m just using specular, specular power and reflection for that. On top of that I’m just multiplying by a value to make it looks like I want in the engine.
    If you’re interested I can post the flats and the master material of it ;)

@Minos : Thanks a lot!
    Means a lot from you because you’re a huge inspiration for this scene ;)

@Lonewolf : Cheers !
    @lewist : It depends, but sometimes yeah, it seems really easier but you can’t hide any problem behind dirt and stuff like that.
    @toxic_h2o : Thanks!
    @Norron : It’s really easy !
    Here is the way I did it :

Parallax_Shader.jpg

The value (-60) is the power of the effect.
    You should use a param texture and a scalar param if you know you gonna use this shader for many different stuff.

@snow : I’m baking all the normal/AO. I really have to try NDo2 a little more. Seems a bit laggy on my laptop but even with this it could be faster than doing a Hi and baking on a plane.
    The inspiration is coming from many different sources : As I said earlier, Minotaur0, Gray shuko, Autodestruct, Peris. And of course, a lot of architecture photographs.
    @SirCalalot : Cheers!

Few updates on the building. My brother said to me that it could be cool to put this building in the ocean. I liked the idea so I started to work on the ocean shader. And here it goes :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK8yMFtb2XA"]Water - Flow painted with Vertex Color[/ame]

The foam is painted via the Alpha vertex color. The flow is driven by red and green channel of the vertex color.
    Sorry for the small size of the vid
  • Seirei
    Wow that water is just sexy. o.o
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    looking cool man, got a few comments but I'll tell you tomorrow at work, I need to sleeps nao :p
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    That water is really sexy (I do love my water, me).
    May I ask, how did you arrange the shader? I imagine that is uses the R and G vertex colour on the mesh to dictate X and Y panning respectively, but I'm having trouble picturing it in my head.
    Would you be able to post a screenshot of the material? :)

The scene is really coming together and there is nothing really to critique on as you seem to be on top of everything. The only point I might make is that I think the water colour is a little off - perhaps a deeper blue would work better against the structure as it currently looks a bit faded (for want of a better word).

ocean_summit_400_01.jpg
    ocean.jpg
    BlueOcean.jpg

:)
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    @Seirei : Thanks !
    @vahl : Thanks and you’re totally right about the water color. I had some doubt about it, but, making it more green and a little more dark will help.
    @SirCalalot :
    No problem, here’s the flow part of the shader :

For the flow part I have to thank phill johnson : http://phill.inksworth.com/tut.php.
    I tweaked it a little bit for my need (replacing the maps by vertex color, deleted some nodes and tweaked the value of others) but with this tutorial you’ll understand clearly how the flow maps work.

water_flow_explanation.jpg

The vertex color node is on the right of the screen (you can’t see it :D) but basically, the red vertex color is going into the X part and the green into the Y part.

The other really important part to make it work (that you don't see here, silly me :D but look the link i posted before :D) is the one with the cosine. It makes the two flows blend (put that in the alpha of the lerp and you're good ;))

Hope it helped (if not, tell me and I'll try to make it more clear)

As for the water color, yeah I’ll change it, but not like on your last picture, it looks like a giant tarp :D. I’ll go for something more like that :

aiu_061108_161818.jpg
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Man. I will be honest. I'm jealous ;p.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    wuuuutttt awesome water foam shader. Where are you planning n running those pipes/walkway?
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Does the water tesselate any differently to match the painted flow?
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @GoSsS, that's extremely helpful! :D

You're right about the water, I think that aqua, bluey-green colour would work best against the sky blue of the offices.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Looks amazing! **subscribes** I am curious as to how you are handling the tinting on your shader.(Are you just multiplying a color over your white areas? if so how do you get the nice fade to a lighter color at the edges?) It has such a nice result going from white to blue. Can you show your node setup for that aswell?

Thanks for all your knowledge dumps so far :P I will be using your thread as reference for a long time I'm sure. :)
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking really cool, love the colors and how clean it is. Dig the paralaxing window stuff too!
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    lucashug polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job! Can't wait to see it finish :)
    Cheers

Lucas
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    can you post a breakdown of the materials so your able to turn decals on and off like that?
  • vemadesign
    Offline / Send Message
    vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
    Its looking great!