Home Technical Talk

High Poly Panel Help

Hey guys, im looking for an opinion or direction. I trying to decide how to model a panel on an object. Lets say its a simple cyl which you want to have 4 panels with gaps in between in panel around the perimiter edge. How would you model this?

My thought is to create a cyl with say 16 sides, then select 4 faces 4x4 is 16. So i would have 4 total panels. I just wanted to see if anyone has another way of doing this. Basically what is in red as a panel, blue another and so on

help-3.jpg

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you could extrude groups of faces up and inset the, or chamfer edges where you want a panel seam and textured and inset the resulting faces down.

than it is just a batter of adding your support loops
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mike670 polycounter lvl 11
    With that low resolution base you are going to have major pinching at the seams.

You will need to add more edges to get a nice smooth effect, here is how I figured to do this (not sure if its the fastest, just messing around.)

Create a cylinder as you have shown above with sixteen sides and select all of the red panels.

Now go into the edge sub-object mode while not unselecting the faces, Select all of the edges and chamfer them by 3.33, then chamfer it again with half of that.

Now go back into the face sub-object mode and while skipping one face for the panel seam select the blue panels and bevel those out.

Add in your support edges and your good to go.

(You could use less than in the images, just made it super high)

cil_panels.jpg

cil_panels_wire.jpg

cil_panels_wire_ts.jpg

Hope that wasn't too confusing

-Mike
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not confusing at all, what about the low poly base then? Wouldnt i have to use alot of segments
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you mean the low poly which will be textured, It depends on the relative scale ofcourse, but most likely you could just leave the panels to normal maps and just have enough edges to make it look smooth.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as the metal plates im looking for something with very little space in between to show the construction of the object. The plates should take up the entire side
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for that you could just do the same as above but just without the edges limiting the size of the panels vertically and scale the seams down.