Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
Hey there guys, this is my first official post as a polycount member, and let's just say I'm nervous. First things first, here's the link to my website.

http://www.camraab3d.com

Now, I know it's nothing spectacular, hell, this is the Polycount forum, but from what I've seen on some other posts, you guys are all extremely helpful and honest.

I'm looking for criticisms on anything and everything. From the design and function of my website, to the work itself and how it is presented. I recently graduated with a degree in Computer Graphics, and I only spent the least year getting into 3D. For the most part I've taught myself just about everything, whether from a tutorial or books purchased online. My dream job would be labeled 3D Artist? or Environment Artist I suppose.

I'm looking for input from you guys as to what I should add if I want to be considered for any jobs, as I've had a couple interviews, but nothing has come of it yet. I think my inexperience and geographic location may have something to do with it, but I know my work isn't the caliber it probably needs to be.

Sorry this is so longwinded, but I'm looking to grow and learn, and what better place than here to do that? Let me know what you think, and please, be honest.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I would make your portfolio page you main page, I'm not a fan of the image gallery, takes too long to skim over all of your work, animated transitions are annoying in my opinion.

Removing any low poly renders that are not real time (the bulldozer), also you should model the interior, the white windows look horrible.

You don't need to put copyright on the images, just leave the website url (and the year if you want).

The overall scale in the Norse scene feels skewed and distorted.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had the gallery complaint before, alas my web skills are sub-par at the very best, but it's on my list of things to fix.

To clarify, when you say low poly renders that are not real-time, are you saying that unless the low-poly is in an engine (Unreal or whatever) leave it out, as I do have a shot of it within an Unreal environment, and now that I think of it I honestly don't know why I didn't include it? As far as modeling the interior goes I'm working on understanding how to make a texture transparent, so you could see the interior, if I end up modeling it :)

All duly noted, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. Keep it coming!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Site looks nice

Take the user directly to the portfolio. Home page is unnecessary.

I like that I can click through the whole portfolio with the current gallery setup. However, it buries your pieces into this format. I was surprised to see whole UDK levels after a few simple props. One argument here is ordering your pieces from best up front. Another is main piece thumbnails up front in a nice thumbnail gallery.

As for the content:

Norse Dining Hall is a nice looking scene. It's overly simple modeling, yet photo overlay texture. The models appear built for legomen. One would anticipate a more painted style of texturing to support this scene. OR stepping up the meshes to a more detailed, realistic scale. Either way, the textures all look like tiling textures on everything. Paint in more custom edge highlights, shading, wear and tear, etc.

Bulldozer has a similar texturing issue. It looks good as an RTS unit. Unfortunately it has a 2048 texture on it, but looks like solid colors with some dirt overlay. Get in there and paint or zbrush it

War Hammer, why is this all boxes? Rounded handle please. Normal map not really doing anything there. Nord scene is much better execution of style, remove this.

Treasure Chest is a bit planar (all straight up and down, perpendicular). Some settling, roughing up can add a lot of character. Diffuse is working, but the normal isn't (wood slats, grain, nails, etc). Looks like there's as many edge loops to the rounded back hinges as there is across the top. Those extra edges should be making the top rounder.

(edit: this didn't say it was a crit of the Shipping Container)
    This looks good overall. On a piece like this, a more technical approach to the UVs would show more "real game" skills. For example, horizontally tiling the main, slatted metal and trims with room for small pieces and decals. This will grant a greater amount of pixel detail without increasing map size.

Water Heater, simple prop, looks fine. No real feedback beyond project specific changes on the job. You would benefit from a full realistic scene.

Podracer, not textured, not finished, remove it.

Dig Site and Shrine, both are fine additions, but should be separate from your custom assets. Toggle HUD, hostler weapons and retake shots. Some construction shots are pretty much required for scenes too. Overall, the more you can remove these for fully custom scenes the better.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden: Thank you! The reason most of my props are so angular/boxy is because I was unfamiliar with normal mapping and unwrapping, and the Norse Hall was kind of me trying to do it on a large scale. I'm working on my organic modeling as we speak, hopefully have something concrete in a week or two.

I have a hell of a time painting in Photoshop with a mouse, and I finally saved up enough money to get a decent pen tablet, so again, in a few weeks I should have some better handpainted textures to show. All the textures so far have been photo overlays, and I've just used some simple brushes for the grime/blood.

I look at my portfolio and I see how rushed I was, as graduation was fast approaching and I had NOTHING to put in my portfolio, and it frustrates me to no end. I'm on the post-grad fence so to speak, of whether I go back and fix some of my earlier things, or push through with my new projects. I don't have much time after work and before I go to sleep to work on much so it's a tough call for me.

If anything it reaffirms my belief that I played it too safe with many of my pieces, and went for what I knew I could do, instead of challenging myself.