Home General Discussion

Character Transformation

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
All right, i have a question here.

How is a character transformation done inside game. I am talkin about organic characters in this case. Like a human transforms into a demon with wings and muscles and split mouth and such stuff. Now if I have to even show it as a cut scene, how is this transformation animation done??

Does any1 have the info regarding this one??

Replies

• Carl Brannstrom
    There are thousands of ways to do it...

Do you have an example of what you want to achieve? Like a video clip? Image?

More details please.
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    There are thousands of ways to do it...

Do you have an example of what you want to achieve? Like a video clip? Image?

More details please.

Hmm ye... The ones in the resident evil series like in the link below

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kJBWeYhn7I"]Top 10 Resident Evil Transformations - YouTube[/ame]

thats the thingy i am lookin for..
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Half of those are clever camera cuts, the other half is prerendered videos or non- realtime engine cutscenes.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    You don't even see most of the transformations in that video. Looks like a lot of off-screen model swaps most of the time, and some blend shapes, bone scaling, etc.
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    I know that most of it you don't see.. But the focus here is, we have a normal human being as Start point, and a mutated huge weird "OMG WT THE HELL IS THIS" Creature as the end point. So, I wanna do a transformation from the human to the creature..

Here is another example..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNL8b6Sm3SE"]Parasite Eve - Rat Transformation - YouTube[/ame]
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    play lots of resident evil , they have a lot and the best character transformation in real time or at least cutscene ( no CGI cinematic)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ZBrush and its morph targets would be a good starting point for you to read up on OP.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    JZAcH wrote: »
    I know that most of it you don't see.. But the focus here is, we have a normal human being as Start point, and a mutated huge weird "OMG WT THE HELL IS THIS" Creature as the end point. So, I wanna do a transformation from the human to the creature..

Here is another example..

Parasite Eve - Rat Transformation - YouTube

You are asking a very vague question still. Each of these transformations is different conceptually.

As mentioned before, most of these animations are clever camera cuts with model swaps. Each model is animated to deform and morph slightly. So they start with an original character, the final character and make a few unique models to be swapped in between the transition.

It all depends on how you storyboard the transformation. It involves a well thought out concept of the transformation, followed by a story board that describes each scene swap as far as angle,lighting, animation etc. It is all an illusion of a seamless transformation. There are very few cases that a full animation is made without any camera cuts. A very massive transformation is quite tricky to do in realtime and ingame so games mostly resort of full motion video.
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    Fuse wrote: »
    There are very few cases that a full animation is made without any camera cuts. A very massive transformation is quite tricky to do in realtime and ingame so games mostly resort of full motion video.

Imagine you are assigned the task of doing one. As som1 mentioned that there are many ways of achieving this and you say that it is very tricky, there must be 1 probable way (even though it might take a really long time) to accomplish it right. All i want to know is one way to do it completely. I posted the videos because som1 asked me what exactly i was lookin after... But i do believe i have shown the picture of what here is looking to be accomplished..
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    You would have to do something with vertex animation, like morph targets, which I believe is doable in UDK. So that could be a good start point. You would do a morph, coupled with blending two normal maps. The setup is quite tricky though, should do some googling on it.

But I don't think camera cuts are avoidable. At some point you'll need a model-swap.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Imagine you are assigned the task of doing one. As som1 mentioned that there are many ways of achieving this and you say that it is very tricky, there must be 1 probable way (even though it might take a really long time) to accomplish it right. All i want to know is one way to do it completely. I posted the videos because som1 asked me what exactly i was lookin after... But i do believe i have shown the picture of what here is looking to be accomplished..

So what you are asking is a comprehensive explanation and a step by step solution to your unique technical problem ?

Like it's been said, it depends on what kind of models you want to transform. What is your concept specifically? You are asking a vague question and asking for an exact perfect solution to be spelled out for you. There is rarely one.

Do you have an idea in mind? A concept?

The best real time example that comes to mind is the mutated lambent in Gears of War 3 but even then. Their realtime transformations are minor and reserved strictly to extending of their extra tentacles which is likely a mixture of animations of the stretching/extending, model swap and particle effects to hide the seams and transitions.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG2lof9pWL8"]Gears of War 3 Demo - E3 2010 Microsoft Conference - YouTube[/ame]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I believe Prototype just hides model swaps with a bunch of particles.

Also write out the word "someone", shortening it to "som1" makes you sound unintelligent and discourages people from providing advice.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might be easier if you just said what you were trying to do so people could offer suggestions for how to get it done. As in, "I want to turn this guy into this guy."
    Even if you're not able to show the actual character a simple Reg Dude into Bat Dude would be helpfull.

Mashru Mishu used I think a blend of vertex animation and an animated normal map to turn this guy:
    971_max.jpg

into this guy:
    354_max.jpg
    (his chub gallery has wire's and stuff.) This example rely's on having both models share the same topology/UV layout. He had a pretty good wip thread for it but I lost the link long ago.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Your problem is a fairly intricate one. One that can vary in it's complexity depending on your specific problem.

Even if you were asking a very simple question like "how do I uv something properly". There is no perfect answer, you have to provide concrete examples.
  • ZacD
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Couple of examples from Dead Space. The second one's clearly just a full model swap, but the first one still uses morphs, particles, and flickering lights to hide any jarring transitions.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2r4jpylqE"]Dead Space 2 - Necromorph transformation (slow-mo) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ja6ZxYjFpA"]Dead Space - Infector close ups - YouTube[/ame]

Taking a look at the rat example, my guess would be:
    Bulging skin- morph targets
    Mouth and eyes peeling- morph targets
    Elongating teeth- scaling separate meshes
    Split tail- model a closed tail, cut seams, pose in the open position, model the interiors
    Limbs extending- probably bone scaling
    Final result- entirely different model

And all of those closeups are most likely entirely different models built specifically to show the transformations in detail.
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    Also write out the word "someone", shortening it to "som1" makes you sound unintelligent and discourages people from providing advice.

Sorry .. my bad :poly006: ...
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Snowfly.. the 1st one was what i was looking for.. well almost. :)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Snowfly.. the 1st one was what i was looking for.. well almost. :)

For the most part, that's just pushing two models through each other and lots of particles.

The skin rips off with very well done alphas and texture blending. I'm almost certain that's the same face geometry you're seeing at the end, just with a great morph target.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I must play Dead Space :) Here's a simpler example in which wings and horns spawn as separate meshes and get scaled:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwgsqm3E5F4[/ame]
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    in the end i guess it comes down to what kind of human exactly you want to morph into what kind of creature, can you show both of your targets so we might have a chance to think about it? it can be pretty simple with just morphing from one state to another with the same topology but different normalmaps or it could need a lot more effects beeing applied.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Skyrim's werefolf looks like a simple combination of skeleton stretching and model swapping by way of some animated alphas.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZh-hv_jfLY#t=12s
    Simple effect, but it does the job well enough.
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    The old saying "if it looks right, then it is right" applies."
    :D!! lol.