Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need Anatomy guidance/paintovers etc.

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
Hello.
After a hundreds of characters I felt that I should start getting my anatomy skills to the next level.
I haven´t work long on it yet and some parts are obviously very much wip like the forearms and the lower legs. And yes, forget about the head ; )

But I would really love to get some feedback. Do paintovers/liquify and do with it whatever you like : )
I have some issues getting the hands´proportion and size right but I think it´s mainly because the forearms are to skinny at this moment.

Thanks in advance!

c05maoz5ujvnhtndk.jpg
c05mb9wydekhvbct4.jpg

Replies

• Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm all for critique.

But have you thought about learning it yourself through observation and measurements? Grab a picture of a body you want it to be and dissect what is different with your model and the reference picture.
    I mean, I can tell straight away that you have used very little reference, or used it in the wrong way.

Also, you are making bumps on a surface. Try to sculpt skin on top of muscles on top of tendons on top of skeleton instead.

And for the love of god, stop doing demons in pants thing. It's ridiculous. Take a human, copy it until it's 100% there, don't give yourself slack. Don't think you have to do this without reference. Stop being lazy.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Thank you. I dind´t plan to do a muscle guy. The head was there before and i just didn´t delete it ; )
    I am not trying to get a perfect human male anatomy but at least something that doesn´t feel completely wrong.

And you are right, I had like no real references.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Only had time to go over the front, my anatomy isn't the strongest either, but theres a few fundermentals that can be corrected here.

anatomyhelp.gif

I know my hand writing isn't the greatest, so here's a few notes to go with it;

Pectorals should be slightly shorter then they currently are, also flatter on the bottom (yours seem to "droop" towards the sides).
    Ab's follow the arc of the chest cavity and align with the Serratus Anterior and Obliquus at the top.
    Hips should have slightly more form to them, (think of the shape of the pelvis and its surrounding muscles)
    The bicep on arms of this size should be thinner than it currently is, and the brachialis should be visable from the front as it folds itself between the bicep and tricep.
    The arms in general are too short, the wrist should be around the same placement as the crouch.
    The forearm is extremely thin, increase the size of the Brachioradialis which wraps itself around the forearm and meets with the carpi coming from the other direction.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Awesome! Thank you!
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    The legs and arms should have opposable curves to them, not be shaped like cylinders. Apply a 100% black material and look at the silhouette, you'll see how straight the anatomy looks, when it should in fact have lots of curvy lines.

Hand sizing: the hands should be big enough to match the size of the face. If you place the palm on the chin, the middle finger should reach the hair line, but if you haven't used the head as a measurement unit, the anatomy will look unbalanced.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Didn´t have time to play with it yet. I just tried to adjust the silhouette.

c07mm7r00cdflcbj3.gif

c07msyyz4ecu9lg7z.jpg

this is what i roughly used for the silhouette:
    c07mnqlaniw51nz33.jpg

I know real people should have 7 heads and hero-like have 8, right?
    I´m not sure but i think the body proportions are not completely wrong, so the head (that will be replaced soon) is a bit to small if I would want to go with 7 heads. And what do you think about the hands´ size? Is it ok?

c07mq4ytiev9mirmn.jpg

• C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Sculpted a rough head and placed it on the body.
    But I just can´t get the head´s position and size right, I think.

I wanted to retopo the three parts (body, hands and head) but before it would be great to get some help with the head. I know the upper back/neck of the body is wrong : )

c09ru1h2ab2bjy375.jpg
    c09rxu5s5r3gyhnld.jpg

I did not want to go for a super mega muscle dude, but am I right that the pecs are sightly to flat?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Did a retopo to connect the head an the hands properly and I also did a bit of sculpting : )

c0byeqhz3h0wy5yt6.jpg
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Took a bit more time and tried to get it better.
    I wanted to get some more crits before it make the lowpoly mesh.
    I don´t have the skills/anatomy knowledge yet to sculpt it perfectly and I won´t be able to work on it till it is perfect- plus, it is my first approach on anatomy. So, more to come, better ones to come.
    Anyway, it should not be completely crap. So I´d really appreciate some more help here.
    I´ve seen awesome help from you guys out here and I hope you sneak into this thread and let your magic happen ; )

Ok, now to this naked dude and what my main problems are:
    - not sure about the abs. Maybe I shoudk soften them up a bit.
    - the calf... something just feels wrong. From some angles the lower legs look very skinny, right?
    - and I feel somehow lost on the clavicles
    - the head. I think it is too flat, right? There are not enough curves compared to real heads or better sculpts, but I can´t figure out what exactly makes my head look flat.

So, feel free to crit me and help me. At this stage I try to get the main errors fixed.

c2jszbv3jcetocgpk.jpg
    c2jt08uspz3x0d4ew.jpg
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    New day, new try : /
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's looking much better. I don't know if it's the matcap you are using, but it looks like the model could use a smoothing pass all over, feels very bumpy.

Start by adding some curve to the legs, they are still very stiff and straight...

leg.gif
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Wow, that´s exactly what I wished to get.

Thank you, Psyk0!