Home Technical Talk

AO Baking with floating Geo

ajr2764
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
Ok so I read some stuff already but I'd figure I'd ask to see what general practices are done. I have floating detail on alot of geometry that leaves nasty shadows when baking from high to low. Baking in modo right now and did a bake of the entire low and thinking just baking the seperate pieces with detail and doing some photoshop work.

AO.jpg?w=95784992

Replies

• MagnificentMicrowave
    I just bake all at once and paint the unwanted shadows out, doesn't take too long anyway. But if someone has a better way of dealing with this, I'd like to see that as well.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    imho ndo2 can generate an AO from your normalmap
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can easily fix this with exploded baking, just put the object how they should on frame 1 and move them apart on frame 2. you do this you can easily go back to your original model.
    you can then bake your normal when its together, and bake AO when they are apart. and just move the stuff you don't want to cast AO. its pretty easy to do and it works just fine.
    Hope it helps.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    exploded bake, just bake twice once exploded once not.
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    I bake my floaters on a separate pass, then composite them in PS. No clean up required.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnormal has an option to ignore backfaces, this prevents shadows from floating geometry. Max can do something similar I think, but even if you're using max/maya, you can use the SBM exporter and render just AO in xnormal.

You can also disable shadow cast in the object properties on your floater meshes in max?

Explode baking is to avoid errors with intersecting geometry, it wouldn't help with small floaters casting shadows.

Painting them out/baking multiple maps is a real pain in the ass, its what I used to do but there is generally a software solution.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imho ndo2 can generate an AO from your normalmap

Not the same thing as proper ao.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Xnormal has an option to ignore backfaces, this prevents shadows from floating geometry. Max can do something similar I think, but even if you're using max/maya, you can use the SBM exporter and render just AO in xnormal.

this, basically.

nb.: in xnormal, enable 'ignore backface hits' within the AO properties, not just in the general baking settings.
    In max i assume you'd set FG to pass through the floater objects, and disable shadow casting (least that's how i manage my HP clay renders with floaters). Don't bake AO in max though, so just a hunch.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Yea I was going to say that exploding isnt really going to help with the floater issue. Well I dont own max and never used it, mainly maya/modo. I have ndo 2(trial version) and have tried the normal to AO a while back but yea it didnt look correct at all. Im going to try to bake the pieces that are using floaters in xnormal and composite the two in photoshop.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not just bake the entire thing in xnormal? Just seems like excessive time spent to composite different bakes, especially when you'll naturally get slightly different results out of XN. Would be better to just have one consistent map. Also, XN is really fast.