Home General Discussion

Castle Story

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZdXRPeYrc"]Castle Story - first demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

looks pretty solid so far, i really like the 'lemmings' feel to it. definitely going to be keeping my eye on it

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    pretty cool thanks for sharing, i'm curious as to whether or not this is actually voxel based, i'm fairly certain unity doesnt support voxels
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    That looks really awesome, I really love building things blocks by blocks, like on lego. Gameplay seems really fun
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I saw that on reddit. It looks pretty good, only 2 people too?
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Ha! That explosion created such a huge grin on my face!
    Great stuff, great stuff!
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    This is awesome! Really can't wait to play it, it is now, probably my most anticipated game right now.
  • slipsius
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Man, you have to love the power of Reddit. Saw this yesterday, and now it's blown up. It has great potential. Kudos to them for getting some deserved publicity. Something to keep an eye on, fo' sho'.

/derail
    I couldn't care less what Notch approves of. Honestly, why do so many people hold the opinion of Notch to such high standards? I respect the guy as a developer, but at the same time, his one success was a direct rip of several less successful games that pre-dated Minecraft. Is it really the fanboisms that keep him going, or am I missing something bigger here? Must we continue to compare any game that you're able to explore and build freely to Minecraft?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus wrote: »
    Man, you have to love the power of Reddit. Saw this yesterday, and now it's blown up. It has great potential. Kudos to them for getting some deserved publicity. Something to keep an eye on, fo' sho'.

/derail
    I couldn't care less what Notch approves of. Honestly, why do so many people hold the opinion of Notch to such high standards? I respect the guy as a developer, but at the same time, his one success was a direct rip of several less successful games that pre-dated Minecraft. Is it really the fanboisms that keep him going, or am I missing something bigger here? Must we continue to compare any game that you're able to explore and build freely to Minecraft?

Notch isn't to blame though, he simply expresses his glee over this project, as he is a big fan of dwarf fortress, which this seems to be the closest to.

But people are quicker to think minecraft when this has more in common with dwarf fortress or the ages old castles.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    eld wrote: »
    ...people are quicker to think minecraft when this has more in common with dwarf fortress or the ages old castles.

QFT.

Fair enough. I guess I'm still in cranky pants morning-mode. Either way, I'd love to see these people get the credit they deserve and not just compared to a game that hit the cloning lottery.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus wrote: »
    QFT.

Fair enough. I guess I'm still in cranky pants morning-mode. Either way, I'd love to see these people get the credit they deserve and not just compared to a game that hit the cloning lottery.

Even notch himself has expressed that people can focus quite a bit too much on him in certain events, like when ludum dare hit kotaku and it was all about notch making a game in 48 hours.

"Kotaku. Like journalism, but easier."

In any case, a genuine tweet from notch means a ton of good pr for these guys, and I applaud them for what they're doing just in this basic demo.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ah, see i didnt know about any other games like minecraft. So when i think voxel games, i think minecraft. So my thought process was, "hey, someone ripped off minecraft, but did it well enough to make even minecrafts creator love it." I personally dont hold the guy on a pedistal or anything. I think he created a very unique game which alot of people rip off now. Though, apparently he ripped off others, so who knows. But I do like his take on the industry, and how he is all for the indie scene, and approves of games that are like his, instead of getting offended or trying to sue people.

Either way, I will be buying this game when it comes out. It looks awesome. Though, the lagged explosions suck. get rid of the lag!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Seem like cool people with a fun little game, wish them the best but i also hope they find a way to make construction a bit less tedius, early alpha though!

@Geezus Wha? Minecraft a rip off and a fluke? I dunno man, minecraft was a pretty special game. I got a bit bored of it after a few hours but those first few moments were absolutely original and engrossing. I don't know how best to describe that certain magic in the game, classy? Also it's easy to overlook unseen systems that make the game incredible, random terrain algorithms, atmosphere and all that.

A lot of indie devs look up to Notch as a beacon of hope that you can make your own little simple game and maybe have some success. Despite all the success he really could have let it go to his head a bit more. What little revelry he does take in the fame he's largely used it to make the gaming industry a better place. While other companies are suing him over the semantic use of universal words, he's out there supporting games that are directly "stealing his thunder", and that's pretty classy too.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Looks good. Will watch this one.

BTW, a new law came into action a few months ago. Any game with a "cube" or "cubes" in it are copying minecraft. So Notch has to personally approve anything "cube" like before developers can carry on, else they get a C&D.

....or they play quake for the right to carry on.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    MikeF wrote: »
    pretty cool thanks for sharing, i'm curious as to whether or not this is actually voxel based, i'm fairly certain unity doesnt support voxels

You can do voxels in unity, I've seen experiments on the Unity forums.

The game looks awesome.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    That looks rad! I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure!
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Seem like cool people with a fun little game, wish them the best but i also hope they find a way to make construction a bit less tedius, early alpha though!

thats what i like about it, its not a quick process therefore building a somewhat basic castle like at the end would make someone proud, plus it gives it that rts feel
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Mike Yevin wrote: »
    thats what i like about it, its not a quick process therefore building a somewhat basic castle like at the end would make someone proud, plus it gives it that rts feel

+1

I hope there are catapults and player vs player too :poly121:
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Notch is powerful because he's wealthy! And he seems to be trying to be a good guy about it and support other indie whenever he can, so that's awesome, good for him.

Unity doesn't 'support' voxels in that there's no built in voxel tech, but a free user can implement anything they can write in java or c#, including changes to the editor and interface, and a pro user has access to the full source code and back end afaik.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    reminds me of King Arthurs Gold

Anything that is related to Minecraft or Terraria reminds you of King Arthur..

Nice stuff tho, interesting! :D

EDIT: Its actually more profound than just Minecraft.
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome, thanks
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty cool, but wondering what the "game" is.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Looks pretty cool, but wondering what the "game" is.

from the wikipedia entry:
    "The aim is to build a castle that can withstand attacks from creatures and other player"
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    MikeF wrote: »
    a 3 dimensional array of consistently sized blocks is basically voxels for how you implement and interact with it, the engine doesnt have to "support" it as such rly
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Their Kickstarter is up and passed their goal 5 hours after being posted. At the time of writing it's at twice of the original goal and going strong. Really awesome to see such an awesome game get such amazing support and feedback. Personally I can't wait to try out the prototype in a month, and to get my awesome T-shirt :)
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Just found this on kickstarter, it looks awesome! glad to see their funding go through so quickly!