Home General Discussion

Have a 360, should I get a PS3?

So I've been a long time follower of the xbox but never had enough money to get a playstation too. But recently I've been pondering the idea of getting one because I want to play the uncharted and god of war games that I decided to look into pricing. Seems that I could get a ps3 for $200. Worth it?

I'm just on the fence and don't know if I should drop the cash. If you guys see any cheaper prices let me know.

Thanks.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've only started really playing my PS3 after my out of warranty 360 died on me. Depends on how much the exclusives are worth to you, the cross platform titles are usually identical.

The fact that the PS3 is always patching or installing stuff kind of drives me nuts - I actually got stuck in a loop trying to log into Netflix recently, Netflix needed to update AND the PS3 had to download an update before going online - so it just bounced me between the two error messages until I powered it down.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I say yes. PS3 i think has the best exclusives this Console generation.. even oddball games you wouldn't expect like Demons Souls, Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles. Plus Metal Gear Solid 4.. and Infamous and the Resistance games and Killzone 2+3 is pretty sweet too.. tons of stuff! Heavenly Sword is also Really rad!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember hearing about the dreaded ps3 updates way back when it came out... I didn't know that was still happening!

I saw the thread here about the ps3 slim disk drive being extremely loud, does anyone know for sure that the older ps3's are quieter than the new slim ones? Seems kind of dumb that they got louder.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My PS3 is louder than my DVR (which is surprisingly loud) but I'm pretty sure it's quieter than my 360 and less annoying then the high pitch whines of the Wii.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    My ps3(40 gig older one) is pretty quite. As far as updates go they are annoying but honestly they don't bug me that much.

I would suggest you get one. I personally play my ps3 more than my 360 lately because I find the exclusives better and there are more obscure Japanese games translated for it.(Yakuza and Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes im looking at you. Plus you don't need to pay extra to use Netflix and Hulu plus. I don't play multiplayer that much anymore and having a gold account to watch Netflix just seems pointless.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I'd love to know whether Agent is going to be a PS3 exclusive or not, I think that'd be enough to make me go and buy a PS3 if it is.. plus I'd have to go and buy all the killzone and uncharted games :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    So I've been a long time follower of the xbox but never had enough money to get a playstation too. But recently I've been pondering the idea of getting one because I want to play the uncharted and god of war games that I decided to look into pricing. Seems that I could get a ps3 for $200. Worth it?

I'm just on the fence and don't know if I should drop the cash. If you guys see any cheaper prices let me know.

Thanks.

I pretty much bought my ps3 for exactly these games (and Heavenly Sword) for probably double that price. And while I've felt GOW3 to be a bit of a letdown after the first two I'm loving Uncharted 2 enough that it was worth it (though I did get in a fist-fight with my controller over the mini-boss on the train).I've ended up using it for blue-rays and netflix more than games but I think that as long as there's at least 3-4 games you know you want then there's a good chance there'll be others you didn't know about as well.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    If you want to broaden your library and you're interested in the exclusives then sure why not?
    Also, the update thing isn't really a big concern. In all honesty I can't remember when the last system update was, maybe a few months ago?
    If youre coming form the 360 which doesn't update for a long time (I think) then it might seem like a lot but in all honesty I dont think a small update every few months is big issue
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    My PS3 is louder than my DVR (which is surprisingly loud) but I'm pretty sure it's quieter than my 360 and less annoying then the high pitch whines of the Wii.

I've had the exact opposite experience, except with Red Dead, the PS3 CONSTANTLY reads from the disc, it's loud, atmosphere shattering and goddamn annoying!!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yes Get the PS3.

Blu Ray Player alone makes it worth it.

BTW - get the games for the target platform it was developed on.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I too have both systems and would recommend going for it. The exclusives are definitely worth it I think. Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo, MGS, +1 for Valkyria Chronicles.

Also one small thing that I like is the controllers are chargeable. I know you can get charge packs for the 360 pads but it's nice having them built-in on the PS3.

The updates do frustrate me though, not the system updates which aren't usually too bad, it's the game updates, some seem to take an eternity whereas they're always lightning quick on the 360.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup, having both is great - Xbox first, PS3 second. The updates/installs on the PS3 are really dumb, but the exclusives and the PS1 library on PSN makes it worth it, I think.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    pior wrote: »
    the PS1 library on PSN

+1
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both are in my household. To be honest, if it weren't for Gears I would've saved my money; the XBox is just gathering dust now.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I much prefer watching movies on my xbox. if only it had a bluray player....

my ps3 fat is much louder than my xbox slim, and the volume output on movies through the ps3 (HDMI) is super quiet. I have to have my tv at 75% to get a decent volume, but as soon as i switch back to tv or xbox, its WAAAAY to loud at that volume. It is a first gen though, with backwards compatibility. So that might ahve changed.

But yes, the exclusive games are wonderfully awesome.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I got a PS3 recently, and didn't realize they had two designs, so I accidentally got the 250gb old model. I thought 250gigs would be useful, but I hardly use any of it. And man, the thing is loud as hell. I would gladly trade it in for the modern version with no HD at all, just to get rid of the noise. Just keep that in mind.

Honestly though, those consoles are pretty cheap nowadays, so I don't see a reason to not just own both.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    If you think you the handful of ps3 games that you will enjoy will be worth it, yes.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I got a PS3 recently, and didn't realize they had two designs, so I accidentally got the 250gb old model. I thought 250gigs would be useful, but I hardly use any of it. And man, the thing is loud as hell. I would gladly trade it in for the modern version with no HD at all, just to get rid of the noise.

Last I checked there is no ps3 without a HD. The reason being that there are multiple games out there that require an install to even play.

Microsoft was at least smart enough to allow you to copy the entire game to the hard drive and reduce the disc drive usage to starting the game and keeping things quieter. How this would work for ps3 games I'm not sure since with blu-ray there's duplication of data to improve access times.

I do however like that sony allows you to toss in any drive instead of microsoft's forced hd control scheme.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Oh, I just meant I would trade my 250gig model for the cheapest one available (which I thought was no HD), if it would rid me of the noise. Which it will, if it's a slim.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Ps3 is great and I don't regret my purchase. Get it!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigJohn you need to google shit before you buy dude! :D
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only reason I'm getting a PS3 in the future:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0lT78HJnnk&feature=fvsr"]Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch [PS3] - HD Preview/Gameplay - Light Spoilers ??? - YouTube[/ame]
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    having just got to the final level of Uncharted 2 I'd like to modify my earlier response.

It's worth it for Uncharted 2 alone.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I'd recommend getting one of the older ones. The one I've got (60 Gig) is able to play PSX and PS2 games, too.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say they're fairly rare/expensive now Marshal.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I'd recommend getting one of the older ones. The one I've got (60 Gig) is able to play PSX and PS2 games, too.

unfortunately these are noisy, run hot and are now not all that reliable. and they're butt-ugly. ;) i had mine die on me and discovered that the YLOD is quite the RROD-problem for 1st gen PS3, just less publicized and with no 3-year guarantee to back one up.

as for the original question - i'd save myself the expense if i already had a 360.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Oh, and PS3 is starting to put PS2 games on PSN...like awesome Niche titles like God Hand.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a 360 that is a boat anchor right now, it RROD'ed a few months ago and I haven't bothered to replace it. Not that I was a very avid gamer, I can safely say I have more games that are still shrink wrapped, than I've played. Having a daughter and loving to work on personal projects takes up most of my time. Also I've always been more inclined to do PC games instead which with the pared down library of titles available it tends to scratch the gaming itch a bit better.

For Christmas my wife got me a PS3 and I've logged a few hours of Uncharted, even for an older game it rocks. After I finish the series I might dive into God of War but I suspect the newness will wear off and I'll be back to ignoring the consoles.

So yea I don't see myself rushing out to own both, but it would be nice to have access to the library of 360 games I own but can no longer play.