Home General Discussion

ZBrush 4R2b

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
via http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?164835-FiberMesh-Preview
Hi smile.png,

I am pleased to announce the official launch date for ZBrush 4R2b has been scheduled for January 23th, 2012.

ZBrush 4R2b will be released as a patch update to version 4R2, and is free of charge to all ZBrush registered users.

With each new release of ZBrush, we introduce new features that we hope will enable you to further explore your creativity while having a lot of fun in the process.

Originally ZBrush 4R2b was scheduled to be released in December and focus on fixing previously reported problems. Not fully satisfied with this original intent, we could not resist adding new and exciting features. FiberMesh is one of these features, which will have a significant impact on your ZBrush creations.

FiberMesh will enable you to easily and quickly create hair and other fibers. FiberMesh will create a fully sculptable PolyMesh 3D object.
The FiberMesh density can range from few polygons to several millions of polygons and it may also be exported, just like any other PolyMesh3D.
When you are done shaping and sculpting, Best-Preview-Render (BPR) will help you put the final shine on your creationssmile.png

In my next post, NoiseMaker will be previewed. NoiseMaker is another powerful feature that will be included in Z4R2b. It will certainly prove that at times, a lot of noise can be a good thingsmile.png

Thanks for all the amazing contributions to ZBrushCentral throughout 2011.

On behalf of the entire Pixologic Team, have a happy and joyous holiday.

May all your travels be safe.

See you all in 2012!

Have fun ZBrushing!
-Pixolator

Fiber Mesh looks really cool!

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Oooo...Myyyy...Fuckin....God...

o.o

This is getting to the level where we can do anything in zbrush without going out of it. But the problem will occur when we would want to transfer high poly mesh with hair in to low poly. It will be as hard as right now, because we still have to make planes and all.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    That is most impressive! And I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store for the Noise Maker feature as well.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Oooo...Myyyy...Fuckin....God...

o.o

This is getting to the level where we can do anything in zbrush without going out of it. But the problem will occur when we would want to transfer high poly mesh with hair in to low poly. It will be as hard as right now, because we still have to make planes and all.

It looks like it'll be fun to block out hair and do detail sculpts with it, not sure what else.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    lol, I dig their epic music over that vid :P

don't think I'd ever use it (fibre mesh) at all tbh, results aren't all that appealing and you can get nicer results by sculpting out of solid forms or throwing poly planes around imo...

have been thinking about switching over to mudbox lately (they have an actual camera) but plain sculpting in zb is still the best for me at least *shrugs*
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    What I'd really like to see is the ability to really edit the thickness and shape of the hair, so that we can get more sculpted, stylized forms instead of the tiny individual strands they have now.

If we can do that, and our strokes continue to define the flow of the hair . . . that could be a really nice time saver. Or at the least something solid to base further hand sculpted shapes
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will wait to see how people incorporate the FibreMesh into their pipelines. Though I suspect it will still be more fun to sculpt hair ^_^
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Very interested to see the possibilities of using this to create foliage. Interesting.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    They really, really should've gotten somebody to sculpt some better examples because those look like absolute ass. That said, this seems like a pretty good solution for doing some basic texture bakes. I can't see it going much farther than that, though.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool I guess...

Not sure how this could be used in production though.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    This will tremendously benefit 3D illustrators and concept sculptors for sure!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This looks very, very cool for concept work and pre-production - to quickly throw around base fur and hair to paint over later! Very interesting as usual.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Hah, love the epic music synched to some guy doing random hair on a dog...

Looks interesting though, really curious to see what kind of bakes you can get with this, could be a great initial base to work with. And it does seem alot more interactive than any other hair system I've seen up till now.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Slipstream wrote: »
    What I'd really like to see is the ability to really edit the thickness and shape of the hair, so that we can get more sculpted, stylized forms instead of the tiny individual strands they have now.

I'm sure that's there.

Like many others, this didn't exactly set my world on fire. But it will definitely be very beneficial to some I would imagine.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    If they came up an automated baking system it would be insane.
    Though seems pretty real. If those hair are grouped in patches where you actually control a curve to from them, then you can automatically place cards along that at adjustable intervals.

Making volumetric hairmesh and covering it with planes is really just an old hack and if realtime cg pretends to move towards realism then someday we'll have to have hair that actually grow out of one's head. Thought with modern technology it still would be too overdraw intense.

I wonder if hair can be done as a post process shader.
  • jimmypopali
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    OMG That would have helped so much with me trying to create pine needles with current project.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    They really, really should've gotten somebody to sculpt some better examples because those look like absolute ass.

agreed.

this look like it would be handy for grass and maybe some sparse hairs. and its always nice to have. there is a bunch of uses. but for hair its not going to obsolete shave any time soon. or some of the other solutions. i just don't see the control you need and grooming tools.

i hope they do some stability updates for dynamesh. i had to many crashes to make it workable atm.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they've had a version of this since Zb4 as a material, Fibers1. this looks like pretty much the same thing except you apply it as a surface like noise instead of a meterial that only shows up in the render. There appears to be a bit more control over manipulating it, using the move brush etc, but the dog example was the same thing they showed us in the zb4 beta.

It might have been wonderfully helpful a month ago for a fur collar I had to make but like Swizzle say's, not the best examples to use.... at least not if they hadn't used such awesome music....
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have to admit they almost got me with the music.

:)
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle wrote: »
    They really, really should've gotten somebody to sculpt some better examples because those look like absolute ass.

Not sure if serious..
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    All of the examples look good technically, but ya, the end sculpt looks pretty silly.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I'd like to try feathers and wings... looks like it would be very good to model that kind of detail stylisticaly.
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...And so ended the era of shitty hair in videogames, (or at least I hope this will.)

The foliage stuff looks like a good as well. Seconded the notion of a followup tool that helps ease the pain of baking these details for maps and game use.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'll remain zkeptical about the usefulness of the fibermesh in production - but i hope 4.2b will address some bugs.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    bgoodsell wrote: »
    ...And so ended the era of shitty hair in videogames, (or at least I hope this will.)

The foliage stuff looks like a good as well. Seconded the notion of a followup tool that helps ease the pain of baking these details for maps and game use.

yea... cause up untill this theres never been ways to make hair just like this.. or better than this with other programs.

i cant se how this we even have a moderate effect on hair in video games.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    thomasp wrote: »
    i'll remain zkeptical about the usefulness of the fibermesh in production - but i hope 4.2b will address some bugs.

Agreed, while it looks cool, I just don't think it will be usefull anywhere.. The hair plugins for Max and Maya are much more powerfull for pre-rendered stuff, and in game art hair planes just seems much more efficient.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    It looks like it'll be fun to block out hair and do detail sculpts with it, not sure what else.

For showcase, it may be useful. For low poly game models, not very so. It is going to be really damn hard exporting the hair details.

But lets see what this release turns out to be.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm regarding this release as a bug-fix release. R2 was buggy as hell, with constant crashes and whatnot. I know it's not that way for everyone. We have a few machines at work running zBrush, and they're fine for the most part. One of them though, mine of course, crashes regularly every ~3 minutes. It seems to come and go too. Went through the trouble of reinstalling and all that, and it seems to have been fixed for a while, but now it's back. And every once in a while someone else goes through that too.

So if nothing else, I hope to get more stability out of it.

The hair stuff is simply yet another useless feature I'll be ignoring.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    That's really weird, I found R2 to be rock solid compared to previous releases
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I really wish they would release a strpped down version of zbrush and fix some of the outstanding issues rather than keep adding these extra things that i will never use.
  • Bigjohn
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just got mine, haven't figured out fibers yet but they're sure gonna make chest hair easy. On the nnounce page they list an upcomming plugin called QRemesher, which would suggest a new retopo tool to me and having just got used to the zshpere method thats kinda interesting.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm most interested in the new transpose alpha thing they mentioned. Anyone play around with that? What's the deal with it?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just been checking em out for you, there's some interesting additions. So drawing a mask with the action line is more responsive in general (for me anyway). If you use the TransposeSmartMask brush instead of the regular Transpose (in move Move, Rotate mode) it will actually just mask along the action line instead of everything around it. You can add to the mask by Shift-Ctrl clicking and masking a new area, and by holding Alt and dragging the mid point of the action line you can move just the mid point. So for example if you want to adjust elbow position you could mask off the arm, draw the action line from shoulder to hand, and alt-click the mid point to move the elbow around. It's kinda cool actually.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Deactivate in zbrush BEFORE updating. I didn't read that until after updating and now I have to wait till they manually deactivate my old licenses...
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    so this deactivation thing when you update, does that mean all previous versions wont work anymore? Some studios havent updated yet so that can cause issue for freelancers.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you definatley want to check with whoever is reviewing your files before you update. I had that happen when R2 came out. It wasn't a huge deal, but it added half a day to the review process.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    am going to hold off updatng until hear more about bugs etc as my current version works fine for me
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using ZB4 or ZB4r2
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holding off is probably smart.

I jumped right into r2 and had major major stability issues. Thing would crash every 3-5 minutes without fail, no matter what I was doing. This r2b update seems to have fixed a lot of that. Although I still get the occasional crash.

If stability is fine, and you don't need the new features, just hold off on upgrading I say.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Seems a lot of people have had issues with 4r2, which is weird because it was one of the most stable versions I've ever used. O_o
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    Fibermesh seems pretty cool, it's fun playing digital stylist. I'm finding it pretty tough to get "styled" looking long hair though, it can be a bit hard to control. I think the trick is to use lots of masking and polygrounps.

Oh, one cool thing I discovered, you can dynamesh a fibermesh subtool. It's a pretty interesting way to generate low rez hair. I want to do a quick test of making some hair, dynameshing it, uving the dynamesh, and attempting to do a normal bake of the full fibermesh onto the low res dynamesh.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    After deactivating my previous copy and installing the update, activation goes into a actvation failed loop. Hurrah, no zbrush at all here. I'm afraid to even try it at work.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    So I got a fix from Pixologic that is pretty easy if anyone else experiences problems activating. Just delete the Zstartup > CustomUserInterface4$2.cfg file and re-do the activation process.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixo's got some new vids for ZBr2b up. Is it me or does every release sounds more and more like a Star Wars droid?
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?165601
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    So this release kinda does have an in-game hair solution too, thats pretty nifty.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W3rd, but i'm not seeing whats uplifting about this update from everything...Still looks in zbrush for clues...>_0
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    i have zbrush installed on 2 computers, does anyone know if you can install the update on one of them and continue using the old version on the other computer?

otherwise i'll probably wait till we upgrade at work.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From Zbrush Central:
    Support wrote:
    We have identified the cause for the 'rapid-strokes snapshot' problem and we will release an update patch in about a week.

We will also examine all items that have been reported in this thread and if a problem is identified, it will be fixed by the same update.

Thank god. R2b is basically unusable because of this issue, it was present in ZB4R2 but this mini update made it worse.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is the issue? I actually haven't run across that in either R2 or R2b.

It's so weird how that stuff works with zBrush. It seems everyone has different types of problems, and there's rarely overlap. I've seen machines at work where R2 basically reduced their stability to nothing, and yet others where it was fine. People report all sorts of weird issues that only happen to a certain group and not others.

You'd think that a problem would show itself throughout the entire zBrush user-base.