Home General Discussion

Time for a new LCD/LED Screen

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
So I'm looking into getting a new screen for my rig at home.

I want to upgrade to a 27" and have had my eyes on this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

I bought the lower grade version of this one for my step mom a year ago and it looks fantastic. This one has a better refresh rate and higher contrast ratio. Seemed good.

I have done work on it and it seemed to be a lot nicer then my other LCDs so wanted to see what you fine folk thought since I really don't know shit about screens compared to other components and this is kinda a big purchase.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Refresh rates and contrast ratios are generally worthless information. What you want to know is the panel type, and color accuracy(gamut).

Inexpensive monitors like this use TN panels, which are cheap, have fast refresh rates but have poor color accuracy and poor viewing angles - generally bad for art work. If you're playing games or browsing the web they're ok, I wouldn't want to do art on one though(but some people don't mind them).

I would suggest getting an LCD with a IPS(H or S), E-IPS, PVA, MVA panel. All of these will have slightly slower refresh rates(4-10ms generally), but much better color and viewing angles. Dell makes some decently priced E-IPS screens, but at the 23" and 24" range.

If you really want to go 27", its going to be very hard to find a quality panel at a price you can stomach. I would highly recommend getting a smaller 23" or 24" lcd with a good panel instead. For instance, the Dell U2711(IPS) is about $1000.

The dell 23" 2311H(e-ips, 1080p) is about $240.
    The dell 24" U2412m(e-ips, 1920x1200) is about $370
    The dell 24" 2410U(e-ips, 1920x1200) is about $550

Before I would drop over $300 on a cheap TN 27" I would buy any of the above, or two of the 2311H if you really need the extra space.

Heres a planar 26" (ips 1920 x 1200) for about $700ish: Planar PX2611W

Or you could try to find an older year Dell 27" refurbished like this, again for about $700 though: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HW117-Dell-2709W-27-Ultrasharp-Widescreen-Full-HD-TFT-LCD-/110791890188?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19cbb6150c

Very important!!! The above 26/27" monitors run at 1920x1200, the same as that 24" dell. The asus you linked to runs at 1080P, less than the Dell 24"!!!! You're only paying for bigger pixels going with one of these monitors. You have to go up to something like the U2711(2560 x 1440) to actually get more resolution, more screen real-estate. Unless you're going blind and want big pixels, I would pass.

I personally have a Dell 2408WFP, 24" 1920x1200. I paid about $480 about 6 months before the cheaper E-IPS panels came out which sucked, but its worth every penny.

This guy is selling used ones for $200, which is an amazing value. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-UltraSharp-2408WFP-24-LCD-Monitor-DVI-HDMI-DP-/110799101766?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19cc241f46
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Joe, That is exactly why I posted up here to get the info. I really had no clue when it came to this stuff.

I will probably look at the Dell 24" ones and see what I can find. I had 2 of the 2410u at my last job and they were amazing so guess I'll keep my eyes open.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Refresh rates and contrast ratios are generally worthless information. What you want to know is the panel type, and color accuracy(gamut).

I would have said contrast ratios were incredibly important, but I guess only with TV's, or other screens used for games/movies, when creating CGI I guess its importance is diminished (?)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Refresh rates around 120hz are better on the eyes though. I don't know about you all in the past with CRT I could see 60hz. I cant see it really now because the image just updates. But I can see its hard to describe, but a unreality to the view. Especially black on white. 120hz this would diminish as the monitor would look more like a picture.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    I would have said contrast ratios were incredibly important, but I guess only with TV's, or other screens used for games/movies, when creating CGI I guess its importance is diminished (?)

Contrast ratio is a pretty vague statistic , and doesn't necessarily equate to quality in any sort of reliable way. For instance you can have a TN panel with a super high contrast ratio when viewing from the optimal angle, but it will degrade quickly away from that optimal angle.

Contrast ratio is often more of a marketing gimick than a scientific measurement of quality.
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Refresh rates around 120hz are better on the eyes though. I don't know about you all in the past with CRT I could see 60hz. I cant see it really now because the image just updates. But I can see its hard to describe, but a unreality to the view. Especially black on white. 120hz this would diminish as the monitor would look more like a picture.

Sorry, response time, not refresh rate. I'm not sure IPS or higher end panels come in anything but 60hz currently, so if you need 120hz for whatever reason TN panels are the only choice. I've never have a problem with 60hz personally, but I have had some terrible eye strain from low end TN panels.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    EQ is right. You can't rely on contrast ratios. They typically misrepresent them or flat out lie to make them look impressive. So just decide what kind of panel you want and then it's just a matter of what features you want besides that. Personally, I would never get a 27" LCD. For that price, I'd rather have two 23" or 24" displays.

I have a Flatron IPS236 from LG. It's not the greatest quality IPS display, but color is pretty consistent.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I already have a Cintiq on my ergotron arm as my 2nd monitor so I'm just looking for mainly a new Main display.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    There are a few.

LG is coming out with one. Mitsubishi has one. Basically any 3d IPS monitor will be 120hz otherwise if used in 2d.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i'm not trying to spend a small fortune on this... Just get something with nice color, good sized screen real estate, good for gaming and the arts.

If it did 3d that would be cool but i really don't care too much about that currently...
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I have the Dell E-IPS monitors at home and at work. The 22 inch (1680x1050) at home and the 24 inch (1920x1200) at work. They're great as EQ said. Great colour. Definitely go for the IPS or E-IPS technology. Sitting as close to my monitor as I do 22 inch has always seemed fine to me.

Everyone around me at work has 27 inch Macs. Gotta say they're pretty nice, bright/colourful, and at 2560x1440 they are super sharp (you need a resolution like that for a monitor that size I recon). But I could never work with that reflective screen. I was told it's possible to get them with a matt finish, but I haven't found one yet, has anybody else?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Fomori wrote: »
    Everyone around me at work has 27 inch Macs. Gotta say they're pretty nice, bright/colourful, and at 2560x1440 they are super sharp (you need a resolution like that for a monitor that size I recon). But I could never work with that reflective screen. I was told it's possible to get them with a matt finish, but I haven't found one yet, has anybody else?

You have to matte it yourself. For some reason apple feels reflective looks better. Just google it, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2720452?start=0&tstart=0
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm. Well suppose you can't get them with a matt finish. Bummer.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those 3D displays have to be 120 Hz because it's actually rendering two images. So it's still 60 Hz.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    One think to remember is that the bigger screen you have, the further you should be seated from it (according to my friend who used to sell TVs). I have a 26" and 24" monitor, and I find that I have to sit around 1metre away from the 26" to be able to work for long periods without straining my eyes.

You won't necessarily have to adjust your viewing position with a 27", but its something to consider especially if you'll be working long hours on it. Saftey First! :)
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    Just want to get some opinions, though I know that ultimately it will depend on how much I want to spend.

Dell nz is doing a special on the u2412m and u2410.

NZ$300 off each one....that's approx US$225

so the u2412m will be NZ$199...approx US$150
    and the u2410 will be NZ$649...approx US$485

I want to get a dual screen set up....so the u2412m looks like very good bang for my buck.... would the specs of the u2412m suffice or should I consider the u2410?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I'm still using my old Dell2007 WPF with an S-IPS panel. Despite it's small size and odd resolution 1680x1050 (I have to run my PS3 at 720p :\) it's still way ahead of many bigger screens that use TN panels. So I'm also saying you should go with a variation of an IPS panel :)

Personally, I don't think I would ever go beyond 22", even 24" seems a bit exccessive and required me to move further away from my desk. If I wanted more screenspace I think I would rather grab another screen.

edit:

Be wary when you make a purchase and do proper research. Panels can vary depending on the series. For example, the monitor I'm currently using is an A04 version of 2007WFP and all of them came with S-IPS panels. However, in the A02 version of that screen (assuming I'm correct) you had a fifty/fifty chance of getting an S-PVA panel instead. I have no idea if Dell is still doing this, but better make sure you know what exactly you're getting. If there's any doubt, buy it in store and check the monitor's OSD; it usually has the name of the panel displayed right there.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still using my old Dell2007 WPF with an S-IPS panel. Despite it's small size and odd resolution 1680x1050 (I have to run my PS3 at 720p :\) it's still way ahead of many bigger screens that use TN panels. So I'm also saying you should go with a variation of an IPS panel :)

Personally, I don't think I would ever go beyond 22", even 24" seems a bit exccessive and required me to move further away from my desk. If I wanted more screenspace I think I would rather grab another screen.

edit:

Be wary when you make a purchase and do proper research. Panels can vary depending on the series. For example, the monitor I'm currently using is an A04 version of 2007WFP and all of them came with S-IPS panels. However, in the A02 version of that screen (assuming I'm correct) you had a fifty/fifty chance of getting an S-PVA panel instead. I have no idea if Dell is still doing this, but better make sure you know what exactly you're getting. If there's any doubt, buy it in store and check the monitor's OSD; it usually has the name of the panel displayed right there.

IPS or PVA you're still getting an excellent panel, my 2408wpf has a PVA panel and it is superb.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IPS or PVA you're still getting an excellent panel, my 2408wpf has a PVA panel and it is superb.

True, but the one included in 2007WFP had worse viewing angles and much slower response time. I recall some people were also mentioning colour bleeding issues. I guess nowadays the difference between the high-endish panels might be neglible, but I'm saying people should make sure they get what they're expecting.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, but the one included in 2007WFP had worse viewing angles and much slower response time. I recall some people were also mentioning colour bleeding issues. I guess nowadays the difference between the high-endish panels might be neglible, but I'm saying people should make sure they get what they're expecting.

Yeah for sure, my point was that IPS or PVA, both are massively better than TN. =P
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    That's why I don't want to get TN panels since I have one at the moment. And IPS are great for doing work and not bad for games.

Though, teaandcigarettes....are you saying that if I was to get 2 of the same monitors(from dell) that there is a chance I could end up with different panels. That would be pretty messed up. Another thing is that, this special is huge, makes me wonder if the u2412m is going to become obsolete or that they are sneaking in refurbished models.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy wrote: »
    That's why I don't want to get TN panels since I have one at the moment. And IPS are great for doing work and not bad for games.

Though, teaandcigarettes....are you saying that if I was to get 2 of the same monitors(from dell) that there is a chance I could end up with different panels. That would be pretty messed up. Another thing is that, this special is huge, makes me wonder if the u2412m is going to become obsolete or that they are sneaking in refurbished models.

I think dell is a little more forthcoming with what panels they actually use these days, for instance a lot of the monitors they sell will list "IPS" in the specs. Dell runs some really awesome sales, at $150 I wouldn't hesitate to buy two(or more!) of those u2412m's, they're listed at $300 right now from the US dell site.

I didn't look up the u2412m before because at that price I figured it was a cheaper TN panel. Go buy it now!

Worst case you have to return them, best case you get two for the price of one.

I'm pretty sure they are E-IPS, which is a recent cheaper IPS type panel, not really the same as what you'll get in a $1000-2000 NEC IPS panel, but still very good, probably on par with m/pva.

it sort of goes like this:
    H/S-IPS
    M/P-VA
    E-IPS
    10 year old CRT
    Light Bright
    TN
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and just to get this out of the way: for anyone wondering what and why they should care about LED LCDs, LED is just what they use for the backlight, as apposed to CFL. You can have a really crap TN panel with LED, it doesn't mean it will be a good monitor.

Unless its AMOLED, which is something else entirely, really great but generally only used in small devices like cell phones and cameras. I cant wait for full-size AMOLED displays. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/OLED-Monitors-17-inch-25-inch-Price-Cost,12220.html
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    just be careful, if you do get an E-IPS panel, that it is in fact E-IPS, as you also get e-IPS (which is little better than a TN panel - LG makes and uses them as far as i know)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i've been looking into buying myself an IPS monitor, and came across something curious...

first of all the price difference between 23" vs 24" is well... staggering. i'm not sure that £100 for an extra inch of screen space is really good value. but there might be more to it than that?

apparently as a general rule, the 23" versions have 6-bit colour while the 24" versions have 8-bit colour.

so really i need to know, from other people who've either seen first hand, or know from friends etc. if there really is a noticable difference between the 23" and 24" versions of IPS monitors (for reference, i was looking at the Dell monitors).

Also, the Dell u2310 and u2410 monitors are different from the u2311 and u2411, in that the "11" monitors are running LED backlit screens. does anybody have any experience with these, whether positive or negative? as i've read that LED backlights can affect the gamut ranges.

any clarification from people that own/know better about this stuff?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just be careful, if you do get an E-IPS panel, that it is in fact E-IPS, as you also get e-IPS (which is little better than a TN panel - LG makes and uses them as far as i know)

E-IPS vs E-IPS? Did you mean S-IPS or H-IPS? Afaik, even E-IPS is significantly better than TN. TN itself can also range from almost-tolerable, to eye-bleedingly bad.

I just picked up a lenovo x220 with the IPS screen option, I'm about 95% that means e-IPS, because I'm not sure how you can get H/S-IPs into a laptop under $2000, and it is significantly better than the TN panels you will find in most laptops or cheap consumer LCDs. I'm sure this is about the bottom of what you can expect out of E-IPS, but its really actually quite pleasant.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E-IPS vs E-IPS? Did you mean S-IPS or H-IPS? Afaik, even E-IPS is significantly better than TN. TN itself can also range from almost-tolerable, to eye-bleedingly bad.

I just picked up a lenovo x220 with the IPS screen option, I'm about 95% that means e-IPS, because I'm not sure how you can get H/S-IPs into a laptop under $2000, and it is significantly better than the TN panels you will find in most laptops or cheap consumer LCDs. I'm sure this is about the bottom of what you can expect out of E-IPS, but its really actually quite pleasant.

I believe kaptainkermals meant e-IPS (lowercase e). I haven't heard of these before because I've never looked into LG monitors, but he's right. Here's a link: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm#e-ips

On a side note, the link I've attached has some really good info about the differences between different panels.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awhile ago I purchased a Samsung Syncmaster B2430HD. At the time I was not familiar with the various monitor panel types, I was going by reviews and mostly using the monitor for games at the time. It seemed solid and a fair price; however, after I learned the difference between panel types and the monitor I purchased is in fact a TN panel. The viewing angles do not bother me in the slightest; however, the amount of colors the monitor can produce is very important to me since I do digital painting as a hobby.

I have read most TN panels can only natively display 262,000 colors. The specifications page for the B2430HD states it can display 16.7 million colors. If this is accurate, and this TN panel monitor can indeed produce that many colors accurately I will keep my purchase. But if this is incorrect I may have to consider purchasing a new monitor. I would greatly appreciate if someone knowledgeable here would take a quick look at the specifications for the monitor and help me make an informed decision.

Thank you in advance
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe kaptainkermals meant e-IPS (lowercase e). I haven't heard of these before because I've never looked into LG monitors, but he's right. Here's a link: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm#e-ips

On a side note, the link I've attached has some really good info about the differences between different panels.

Oh yeah I see, well you're not going to get E-IPS or H/S/etc in a monitor south of $600(unless its a 20 or possibly 22"), and even e-IPS is significantly better than TN.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've been looking into buying myself an IPS monitor, and came across something curious...

first of all the price difference between 23" vs 24" is well... staggering. i'm not sure that £100 for an extra inch of screen space is really good value. but there might be more to it than that?

The u2311h is e-IPS and the u2410 is H-IPS, which is a big reason for the cost difference. The 23" screens are generally 1920x1080, as apposed to 1920x1200 as well and targeted more to consumers while the 24" is targeted more towards professionals. The 24" also has swivel so you can do portrait mode, and probably better/more connections in back.

I'm not sure I can really tell you if LED is better/worse, I'm staring at an LED e-IPS as I write this though, and its fine. A big reason for the use of LEDs is power consumption.

Here is a comparison of the e-IPS in the u2311h and a typical TN for anyone who doesn't understand why even e-IPS is much better: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXcNlh85Ps&feature=relmfu"]LCD Monitors IPS vs TN Panel difference - YouTube[/ame]

For anyone who has the money, a 24" ~$600 IPS or M/PVA monitor is probably a good idea, but anyone on more of a budget, the 23" e-IPS is an excellent choice.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awhile ago I purchased a Samsung Syncmaster B2430HD. At the time I was not familiar with the various monitor panel types, I was going by reviews and mostly using the monitor for games at the time. It seemed solid and a fair price; however, after I learned the difference between panel types and the monitor I purchased is in fact a TN panel. The viewing angles do not bother me in the slightest; however, the amount of colors the monitor can produce is very important to me since I do digital painting as a hobby.

I have read most TN panels can only natively display 262,000 colors. The specifications page for the B2430HD states it can display 16.7 million colors. If this is accurate, and this TN panel monitor can indeed produce that many colors accurately I will keep my purchase. But if this is incorrect I may have to consider purchasing a new monitor. I would greatly appreciate if someone knowledgeable here would take a quick look at the specifications for the monitor and help me make an informed decision.

Thank you in advance

Generally the big problems with TN are the bad viewing angles, color shifting, and for me personally, every TN panel I've ever seen/used has a constant gradient across the screen that makes texturing/painting a pain in the ass.

Color reproduction is probably a bit less important than we typically make it out to be if you're not doing print work.

Generally if you're happy with your screen I wouldn't recommend buying a new one, unless you can still return it or were planing on buying a second screen anyway. Some people are just fine with TN panels, I consider those people lucky as they can live with cheaper monitors. =P

Oh and let me say it again: You can find used 2408wfp(PVA?) on ebay for about $200, which is a major bargain. I've got some older Dell Ultrasharps that are probably 7-8 years old and they still work great, so I wouldn't be too worried about buying used. If I wanted a second 2408 this is what I would do. When you consider you can buy two of them for less than the cost of the current Dell 24" ultrasharp it looks very attractive.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, EQ, just wanna say thanks for posting so much clear information about this stuff. Saves me a ton of time researching it when I can actually afford to replace my shitty old monitor with something more appropriate for painting.
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    Yea, thanks to teaandcigarettes and eq for the useful information. Didn't know about the upper and lower case e for the ips panels....which is now good to know. The review on the u2412m from TFT central does indeed state that it is e-ips, but like eq says, at that price point it is a great deal.

I was initially thinking about the u2410 but for the price(which is an awesome deal if I could afford it) of that I could get 2 u2412m and a bit more.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, i should've better emphasized the lowercase e, over the upper in the different panels.

My main issue, is the fact some of them use 6bit panels (not 8bit as most other IPS, PVA and MVA panels use), but you are right EQ, the quality is still quite a bit better than a TN any day.

Just trying to point it out, as there is a difference there, and it's only noticeable if you note the lowercase e, in the end, it's well worth it, if that falls into your budget
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Oh and just to get this out of the way: for anyone wondering what and why they should care about LED LCDs, LED is just what they use for the backlight, as apposed to CFL. You can have a really crap TN panel with LED, it doesn't mean it will be a good monitor.

Unless its AMOLED, which is something else entirely, really great but generally only used in small devices like cell phones and cameras. I cant wait for full-size AMOLED displays. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/OLED-Monitors-17-inch-25-inch-Price-Cost,12220.html

Can't wait for OLED huh? http://mashable.com/2012/01/01/lg-worlds-largest-oled/

;)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...The 24" also has swivel so you can do portrait mode, and probably better/more connections in back...

Just for clarity:

I've got a Dell u2311h and it's got a swivel base and can do portrait mode as well.

The back has a DVI, VGA, and Display Port (wish it was hdmi...).

The color depth seems good to me.

Sometimes I wish I had gotten 2 22"s instead of the 23", maybe next time.

I suppose it's probably a cheap e-IPS, but it still blows away any TN that I've ever sat infront of.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Ive recently got a 27" Dell Ultrasharp 2711, its E-IPS and a markable improvement over and TN screen ive ever had. Cost me about £600+ but worth it if you are going to do artwork.
    Like EQ says The colour shifting you see on TN screens will be a constant bane :)

Just so you know, the 27" Dell cant go portrate like the smaller ones.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have one of the LG IPS with the LED back lighting (Flatron IPS236). I got it for about $215. I think it's one of those e-IPS panels, but I can't find anything to confirm it. Anyway, the color is really good until you get to extreme angles where the edges get slightly dim. For my limited budget, I think I got a really good display. Definitely better than a TN panel.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thanks for the information guys, and especially EQ.

but i would still like an answer to this, if possible?
    apparently as a general rule, the 23" versions have 6-bit colour while the 24" versions have 8-bit colour.

does anyone know what difference this will make and how noticable it is?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the information guys, and especially EQ.

but i would still like an answer to this, if possible?

does anyone know what difference this will make and how noticable it is?

The difference is the number of colors the panel can display, with 6bit you would be more likely to see banding on a gradient than with 8 bit. Probably more important for work where color accuracy is crucial, like print work. For game art, I doubt there would be more than a marginal difference.
  • JasonLavoie
  • EarthQuake
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Bah fail on posting link, sorry EQ.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors_Flat_Panel_Widescreen/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=320-2676

I actually just bought them... the sale was screaming at me and there was only 30 minutes left.

Hopefully I didn't make a bad choice...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I think thats a good choice, 24" IPS with 1920x1200. Hey, you can return it if it sucks too, but really I bet you'll love it
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope :P I use the higher tier version of theses at work (LCD) and absolutely love them, have you had any experience with LED IPS screens at all EQ?

I have an LED TV and the colours are much more punchy which is nice, but I'm wondering if when working on textures, if that would skew the end results in a negative way.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If you are going to buy a new monitor, buy always led...

the LED HP ZR2440w is not a bad choice, and you have versions with 27"

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-5163690.html

Its brightness it's not ideal, but we can tweak it. Anyways, the matter is always to look what we want and find in google reviews and problems with the monitor. I can say the dell u2410 is not a good choice, and it has too many issues.

In TFTcentral you can find very good reviews, here's one of the new ips led from hp. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr2440w.htm

And another thing, some of these ips are very bad for gaming.

edit: There are other choices like some Benq VA LED models.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope :P I use the higher tier version of theses at work (LCD) and absolutely love them, have you had any experience with LED IPS screens at all EQ?

I have an LED TV and the colors are much more punchy which is nice, but I'm wondering if when working on textures, if that would skew the end results in a negative way.

The biggest difference is probably the panel type, higher end IPS vs e-IPS, which is fairly unlikely that you would notice unless you had them side by side.

LED is just the type of light used for the back-light, as apposed to fluorescent, it doesn't really mean much in terms of contrast etc, that has more to do with the panel type than the back-light type. LED's are used because they use less power, and do not contain mercury - LEDs are very "Green". Again, LED back-light doesn't automatically make a monitor better or worse, you can have an LED back-lit monitor, and another CCFL back-lit monitor with a better panel and the CCFL monitor would be better. But most monitors these days are LED so you don't really have to worry about it.
    The U2412M is made of environmentally responsible materials, consisting of an arsenic-free and mercury-free LED panel and halogen-free laminates in its circuit boards, designed to consume less energy than a conventional monitor.

You'll notice they aren't bragging that their LED back-lighting provides any more contrast or image quality, and they certainly would if be talking that up if it did. Like "contrast ratio", LED is more of a marketing hype word than something you need to worry about.

The PVA CCFL panel in my Dell 2408wfp is better than the LED e-IPS panel in my laptop, for example. Because its simply a better panel. My screen in my laptop is excellent though, and I wouldn't notice nor care that it could be better unless I'm comparing the two next to each other.

TVs are generally set up to have extra contrast and saturation for watching movies, thats like why your TV is punchy, not because of the LED back-light. TVs are set up to stand out in a row at best buy, and often do not have particularly accurate colors, which is fine for watching movies, but less so for doing art.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    EQ, i've used the u2410, the previous model, not the Dell U2412M, that is 6bit, and well... this new Dell U2412m it's another ips monitor, but not the best choice for its price range because it's sold here for more than 350 euros without shipment.

The 24" HP i pointed is in the same range of price here, 370 euros with shipment and it's a BETTER monitor with e-ips panel imho.

And of course, if we look for better tfts, we always can look monitors as NECs, my brother has one with a h-ips panel of 12 bits, and it's not something all people can afford so easily (2000+euro).

In contrast to my bro, i work with a TN panel, a LG LED w2486L, it has great contrast and great blacks (dinamic). Compared to other TNs, it's far superior and for my needs is more than enough.

One thing i hate of these "economic ips" panels is the glare effect. There are tfts with ips panels without this issue like some Necs. It's hard to find a ips monitor with good blacks. There are monitors like some Benq using VA panels with 178º and 3000:1 of contrast. Those are another choice, maybe cheaper.

P1060777.JPG
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At home I have an NEC Flat panel... it's a bit older (around 5 - 6 years now) but next to the dell's I use at work, is the best monitor I've worked on.

I just felt like it was time to upgrade to hopefully something a bit better.

Thanks for all the help :)
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    the u2412m dell nz promotional deal that I mentioned for $150US was one gigantic fuck up, turns out it was an online error. They took the pricing down after 3 days without any type of description and tried to play it off as if it never happened...haha but I was one of the lucky few to get it secured at that price. Was a long ass fight to get it though.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha sounds like you scored a sweet deal then!