Home General Discussion

building new rig

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Yup another one of those threads. :(

It's been awhile since I played with PC hardware and there are like a million options...

My budget is around 1000 to 1500. The more I can save the better though. My computer will be used to model in 3ds max, texture, and sculpt in zbrush. I also will work with level editors like unreal ed. I would also like to be able to play some games.

I read through a bunch of threads here on what hardware to get since I was trying to avoid making one myself. :D

Here are the questions I have at the moment.

Is it worth getting a 2 gig graphics card over a one gig one. Currently, I like the nvidia 560 or the ati 5960. I did some searching on google but I'm wondering if there are better options. I need the graphics to power two 22 in lcd monitors.

For the cpu I'm currently sold on an intel i5 with the sandy bridge... I'm wondering what the AMD equivalent is. Since modeling and texturing is my main goal with this rig. While offline rendering is nice I don't think I need an i7 cpu.

Is getting a solid state hard drive worth it??? I was going to get a terabyte hard drive and call it a day. My concern with the SDD and having the OS there is that windows 7 like to put files all over the place, like when you install Max, basically a bunch of files end up in the c drive. If the c drive is only 126 gigs I might end up with storage space problems. If I get the SDD drive I'll be getting a 1T hard drive for data and applications.

For Ram I'm going with 16 gigs. Is it worth getting DDR3-1600MHz over DDR3-1333MHz? Is it worth the money?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Replies