Home Technical Talk

Asus EESlate use Zbrush without a keyboard

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
I just got an Asus EE state. I am looking for away to use Z brush with out a keyboard any one have any experience with this?

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    It's possible to use without it, although you are going to lose a lot of time clicking on the icons instead of using hotkeys. I was actually wondering if there's a possibility or a company that made a compact in hand keyboard to use on the back or even in your hand while holding the tablet with your left hand. Could be even like 4 customized buttons. If anyone know such thing exists, let me know.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I dream of the day when we have ipad like pressure sensitive tablets with PSVita like touchpads on the back and buttons. That would kick so much ass.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Bugo : maybe one of those game pad things? They cost a fortune but look like they'd do the trick
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    somebody posted a video review of the eeeslate here in general discussion - he was using some sort of wrist keyboard.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay it seams like the solution that most people are using this this autohot key app

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/45210-app-better-touch-experience-ep121-2.html#post259772

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHbCNiUpK4"]Drawing on Asus Eee Slate Ep121 - YouTube[/ame]

What sucks is that others seam to be using this with zbrush just fine but I am unable to get it working correctly. It works fine with Pshop and other apps but whenever I trying using it with Zbrush none of the buttons work.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried it or if you wouldn't mind downloading it and see if you have the same experience (if you have a touch screen)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just fyi I got this app to work and its AWSOME, I can sit on the couch and zbrush with no added hardware.

The trick was running autoHotkeys as administrator since Zbrush has to run as administrator.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This looks very, very cool! Can you also finger-pinch and pan in Photoshop to navigate the canvas ?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    multitouch is supported by the tablet in general. However this tool allow to pinch and zoom. What it does allow you to do is use a slider bar that is part of the menu.

I have it set up now to control my brush size, but it also zooms by default. So I just move my finger up and down on the interface and it zooms.

Its all scriptable though so there are lots of things you could do.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I just ordered mine last night. I'm sooooo excited to try it out. The past week or so I've been really torn between the ep121 and the samsung 7s.. the one con for the asus that's been holding me up was the battery life, but I suppose it's something I can live with.

Thanks for posting the app, I was just thinking about buying a usb num-pad or something but that looks a lot better.

Woo!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man I sold my ep121 the samsung series 7 IS SOOOOOOOOOO much better. If you can cancel your order I would advice you go with the series 7.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    and then someone tell me if this toolbar is ultra-awesome so that I can buy one too! :poly121:
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow sick, i've been using rawinput for all sorts of things. I even made a custom input panel for playing league of legends and starcraft 2, but this is by far the best implementation of an art panel I have seen. Thanks for sharing.

If I get a chance to try it I will let you know, but I can tell you from experience that the raw input panel is AMAZING. It doulbes the value of the tablet in my opnion.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My flatmate just got the Samsung 7 this week. He was a bit torn for awhile too, but he's super happy with it. Kinda wish I got it instead of my laptop 3 weeks ago haha.

Will be sure to tell him about the apps. :thumbup:
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    That panel looks very nice FunkyBunnies, unfortunately I can't get it to work on my cintiq, I searched the web, couldn't find something similar working for a cintiq.
    If only the funkybar was that much customisable -_^

I would love to keep my hands on the tablet not on the keyboard...
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Man, this just broke my heart.

I was all excited today and saw the tracking info that it was waiting for me at me apartment.

Oh well. I suppose I'll try it out and worst case scenario maybe I can swap it out.

That artdock is SUPER badass though. good stuff!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    jocose wrote: »
    Oh man I sold my ep121 the samsung series 7 IS SOOOOOOOOOO much better. If you can cancel your order I would advice you go with the series 7.

Oh mAN! I will test this right AWAY!

edit: It worked! OMG, this is so goooood. As for my 15 mins testing it, I could model, sculpt and paint way faster than before.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    thats sweet, bugo
    i so want one now haha :D

Beat: hahah guilt trip me why dontcha! I do really want to go back and improve FunkyBar whenever I get some time, this is gold right here though - i wish it were available on other hardware :)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wish it were available on other hardware

It can be i'm actually the one that bugged the developer to port this to the ss7. You can go to his wesite and request it on his buliten board. If you give hime some raaw data he can work on a port.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    bugo, jocose. whats it like to draw on?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing, I paint on it using SAI. The pressure sensativity and integrated wacom drivers make it perfect

Here is a 15 minute doodle I did in SAI:

speed_sketch_by_jocose-d4p15l6.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man I'm so freaking tempted. I was holding off because of the lack of modifier keys but thats gone now..
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nike-just-do-it.jpg
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE700T1A-A01US-11-6-Inch-Screen-Slate/dp/B005OUQ9JC/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329521912&sr=8-3-spell"]Amazon.com: Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A01US 11.6-Inch Screen Slate (64 GB, Win 7 HP): Computers & Accessories[/ame]
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    so pricey :(

..been looking at cheap refurbished versions of Lenovo's Android Touchpad myself.. no sculpting, Stylus with pressure sensitivity for Sketchbook though!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Just bought me a new toy, the samsung slate. works pretty cool so far, the autohotkey bar is pretty sexy, i've tried the paint dock and then switched to the buttugly artdock - will have to change the icons and add me a category for 3dcoat, which runs pretty nice, though i didn't load any heavy meshes so far.
    I'm currently waiting for my zBrush license to be deactivated my home PC to reactivate it on the slate - not sure if i can install Photoshop on more than 2 machines.
    BUT
    I'm really hoping for windows 8 to be more tablet friendly windows 7 is crap for this, the handling sucks so much compared to the ipad.
    double tapping everything, pixelcorrect touchprojection = miss, miss, hit, makes it really a joy to select stuff
    but the worst thing is the on screen keyboard, i always have to move it around to see what i'm typing, i can dock it on top or bottom, but it just lays on top of everything, overlapping half of the screen :|
  • r_fletch_r
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Neox wrote: »
    I'm really hoping for windows 8 to be more tablet friendly windows 7 is crap for this, the handling sucks so much compared to the ipad.
    double tapping everything, pixelcorrect touchprojection = miss, miss, hit, makes it really a joy to select stuff
    but the worst thing is the on screen keyboard, i always have to move it around to see what i'm typing, i can dock it on top or bottom, but it just lays on top of everything, overlapping half of the screen :|

Been running the developer preview on my eee slate since it came out. It's good, but I'm not sure it's really worth it.
    The new metro start menu is pretty lame, it's just all round a less streamlined interface than the standard start menu.

I don't think you'll enjoy the onscreen keyboard though, it can be docked properly at the top or bottom or float as before, the keys are larger but several are missing (no escape key and no alt key, wtf Microsoft?). The biggest flaw with it though is that it doesn't resize to anything like as small as the Win7 onscreen keyboard.

Oh also you can't press shift and ctrl at the same time so about 70% of hotkeys are useless.

The improvements to windows explorer are nice, there's a new ribbon at the top with useful things, and you can scroll with your finger but so far that's the sum total of the improvements.

Yeeeaaahh so even though it's quite nice feeling, when you actually scrutinise it you realise that unless they make some pretty major changes Windows 8 isn't a good step.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hm sounds promising :/

but i don't intend it for heavy modelling, for zbrush so far it works pretty nice with autohotkey and artdock, but i'll definitely have to customize the dock to my needs, already fit zbrush to work better for me, but i need more experience in this surrounding to feel more comfortable und update everything to speed up things.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Windows 8 Consumer preview will be out in hours.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Fingers crossed for some smart changes from the dev preview!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    A few coworkers have the asus and love it, I'm a bit jealous actually. :D

One has this, and really likes it:
    http://www.logitech.com/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/5123
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Well the consumer preview is out, I don't see any radical changes in their videos maybe I'll look into upgrading my slate to it eventually.

I still think Windows 8 is going to be the version to skip, like Vista was.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just received mine! NERDGASM. for some reason mine came with the keyboard and dock associated with the more expensive model :D thanks samsung :P
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg are you serious about the keyboard and dock!? Where did you odd it from?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose wrote: »
    omg are you serious about the keyboard and dock!? Where did you odd it from?

amazon

got to say that with the art dock its a really fantastic tool. I even played with 3D coat a little and it was surprisingly usable.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    just received mine! NERDGASM. for some reason mine came with the keyboard and dock associated with the more expensive model :D thanks samsung :P

haha yeah i was kinda surprised to find a 3g module, dock and keyboard with it, as i didn't see that in the online shops, i just went to the only local store who had it and it was cheaper and had more stuff with it, was great.
    i'm getting used to zbrush on it, works really nice so far.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Bump ! Has anyone tried windows 8 with the slate ?
    Do you have a special tactile dock on the side where you can assign shortcuts or do you have to go trough windows on-screen keyboard ?
    Cheers :o)

Edit : Nevermind, I should learn to read first :D
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been using windows 8 the entire time. It works great. If you don't like the metro UI for any reason its super easy to turn off.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great :) Was the update free like I read somewhere ? This Samsung s7 looks more and more attractive to me :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id imagine he's using the comsumer preview which is free to everyone
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question about the artdock on a slate : what about your hand lying on the screen while you are using the artdock. Is it detected ? do you need to wear gloves ?
    raaaah, really interrested.....
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    which hand? if you rest your "dockhand" you have the bit of a frame, where you can rest your thumb. if you have your thumb on the dock, your other hand is ignored entirely, only your pen is active then.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been drooling after tablet pc's and iPads for concept art and sculpting stuff. I don't hate my bamboo tablet but somehow it feels bit odd drawing with it. I would love to be able to just lay on the sofa and do some sketching or concepting.

Recommendations for tablet for that kind of stuff? What tablets have pressure sensitivity? Does it really matter that much?

edit: i would probably use it more to sketching and concept art than sculpting so it wouldn't need to be all that powerful.
    Prize range up to lets say 600e.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right !
    So I finally bought one and I must say i'm VERY pleased and impressed.
    I only have one problem with it :how do you get the pen working with Zbeush in Windows 8 RC; I don't have any pressure at all despite the fact that I have some in Artrage ?!?
    I also tried to download the drivers for 7 from the Samsung website but it tells me that there's no pen...

thanks in advance guys :)
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a reason you guys like the Samsung slate or whatever over say an x220 from thinkpad? Same functionality but better specs and can also use as regular laptop. Just wondering cuz idk I might want to switch to drawing on the screen sooner or later myself
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More portable than a laptop for myself.