Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

n88tr's art dump thread

Replies

• Timbo
    I have to say I complete agree with Dan, To go around in a large loop of trying different mediums is going to get you nowhere, in the end what you will find is that you are bad to ok at all things and good at none, you will never find that you just pick up a medium and go o this is what I’m good at I’ll do this, it doesn't work like that, what you have to do like many an artist before you is find something that interests you and then work very very hard at getting better at it.
    Good luck
  • n88tr
    After being on PC for a few years now my image of it has changed drastically since I first signed on. In the beginning it was like "hey there's all this cool art and nice people. I want to be a part of this." Now it's like, "should I post at all?" My relationship now is like I'm a girl and this is an abusive relationship. Sometimes I get slapped in the face but other times I get a little kiss on the cheek or pat on the back with some advice I can follow or a tutorial I can grasp and actually learn something. But it's not that bad because I've been told I'm stupid IRL and online for over 10 years and I'm like "Ok, so what else do you have to say?" Doesn't bother me enough to take it personally, because no one here knows me personally. And even though I get my hair pulled and face spit on sometimes I still love some members because they inspire me or how they show their work helps me understand geometry, concepts, other kinds of art, etc. In the end, I'll probably just be here till I get banned, which I think I would have to intentionally incite.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Or you could just do what I said and follow that briefcase tutorial which is easy to grasp and would teach you a lot of concepts as far as making assets and help boost your work. I am willing to bet money that it would help you a lot, just do it and follow it to the letter.
    http://3dmotive.com/series/the-briefcase-workflow.html
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    If you really belive that anyone here has malicious intent than I'm afraid you have to rethink your own attitude.

Like I said, you really should respect that people use their time to help you. You are saying that they are trying to hurt you... I'm sorry but no one here cares enough to hurt you. No one is passionate enough about your work to be mean. They are trying to make you better though.

Alex linked you a great tutorial. If you won't start listening and stop taking everything personally you will probably drop cg.
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    n88tr wrote: »
    After being on PC for a few years now my image of it has changed drastically since I first signed on. In the beginning it was like "hey there's all this cool art and nice people. I want to be a part of this." Now it's like, "should I post at all?" My relationship now is like I'm a girl and this is an abusive relationship. Sometimes I get slapped in the face but other times I get a little kiss on the cheek or pat on the back with some advice I can follow or a tutorial I can grasp and actually learn something. But it's not that bad because I've been told I'm stupid IRL and online for over 10 years and I'm like "Ok, so what else do you have to say?" Doesn't bother me enough to take it personally, because no one here knows me personally. And even though I get my hair pulled and face spit on sometimes I still love some members because they inspire me or how they show their work helps me understand geometry, concepts, other kinds of art, etc. In the end, I'll probably just be here till I get banned, which I think I would have to intentionally incite.

jackie-chan-illuminati.jpg

Actually I was questioning what the point in giving feedback was if it was just going to get ignored. Pretty obvious if you'd have read what was posted, instead of getting all defensive. Your response does raise the question as to why you are posting if you're not going to even address the feedback given, as has happened in this instance.

Now quite often it's perfectly reasonable to disagree with someone who has given you crit, but in this thread, over a span of years, people have gone out of their way to try to show you the basic, fundamental principles of game art, and they have been ignored.

Even at this very moment, instead of addressing the handful of people who have recently told you to focus on something small, and restrict yourself to one medium, you have instead pulled the victim card despite the fact that no-one here is being abusive.

So again I ask, what is the point?
  • Sanro
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    This is really one of those scenarios when people feel "attacked" by criticism. It was frustrating to see the thread play out seeing every spec of criticism being absorbed as "you guys are making fun of me" or ignored which is why here on the last page people are sort of dumb-founded that you haven't picked up much of what people are saying. Try absorbing other people's feedback and really see where they are coming from with this advice. One would really gain nothing from out-right making fun of you.
    Look at some of the other threads and really analyze how others take criticism and what it's done to them over the years.
    Look at some of the threads on conceptart.org and how you see people with 50-100 page threads they started from years ago and compare their work on the first and last page(I can't think of any immediate examples of something like this on polycount but there are plenty of stories like this and all involve a very healthy absorbing of feedback and criticism.).
    More people here want to see you improve than otherwise and you will always be your own worst critic.

I'd check out Alex's tutorial and other references such as the wiki and articles and such and really absorb this information. You won't just get good by pure osmosis of information though you will have to actually act onto this knowledge and present it to others so that you can know where specifically you should improve rather than doing things for the sake of pure technique.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    lol, this thread.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Look at some of the threads on conceptart.org and how you see people with 50-100 page threads they started from years ago and compare their work on the first and last page(I can't think of any immediate examples of something like this on polycount but there are plenty of stories like this and all involve a very healthy absorbing of feedback and criticism.).

Sketchbook threads aren't that popular hear so you usually don't get to see that. I've seen a lot of people come in, listen to advice and improve amazingly, sometimes in the matter of months.

n88tr: Being able to handle any and all criticism is really important as an artist. I've been here long enough to see people who learn how to handle it succeed and people who take it personally stay stuck, frustrated that they can't get a job in the industry. You've got to let go of your pride otherwise you'll still be exactly where you are at 5 years from now.

I've seen this plenty of times, if you continue going the way you are going, the crits will get harsher, people will pop in just to mock you and most of the experienced artists will just pass you off as a lost cause.

Like I said before, your guns are your best work, listen to Alex and do that tutorial. He joined 2 years ago and is now at 343 industries, I think he knows a thing or two about hard surface work.
  • Defunct
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    lol I've been reading through this for like the past hour. Lots of good advice, I even learned some stuff.
    Michael-Jackson-Popcorn.gif
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    N88tr do the tutorial man. I want to see you get better. Just do it and post it in thread and I promise you people will feel positive if you give it everything and do it just like the tut. Even if you have to re-watch the videos a few times it will be worth it and you will instantly how much youve grown. I realized you use maya so here is a maya tutorial.
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/233-Creating-Next-Gen-Game-Assets-in-Maya

I will LET you use my dt account to do the tut.

And a 3d motive tut http://3dmotive.com/series/high-poly-tank-modeling.html

Again Ill let you use my account for this month so you can do that tut.
    Just do one and show people you want to learn.
  • homrighausen3d
    Offline / Send Message
    homrighausen3d polycounter lvl 5
    @alex

Damn that's super nice of you. Hopefully he takes the offer!
  • woot
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    the most important thing you can do as an artist is attempt to learn, to accept critique and get better. thats not really what im seeing here.

if you want to grow and get better as an artist, its important that you let people critique your work, accept those criticisms, and change and learn accordingly. criticism from polycount has helped me a lot as an artist, im sure if you listened to it you would improve as well.
  • GrungyStudios