Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

n88tr's art dump thread

Replies

• Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    n88tr wrote: »
    So it's not perfect? No big deal
    That's the least of my concerns to be honest. I know the normals, diffuse and specs work and look good in UDK so that's all I'm worried about. The modeling is not bothersome, mostly working in UDK is.
    I still need to watch an a55load more of tutorials. Heck, I don't even know how to duplicate objects.

No big deal... Really? So you aren't going to care if your entire church wall is covered by about 30 seams from the tiling?
  • WarrenM
    I think he's just saying it's not a big deal right now, meaning that he has bigger fish to fry in terms of learning.

n88tr

Dude, that avatar. I don't know what's happening there but it doesn't look pleasant.
  • n88tr
    I wanted something distinctive for an avy
  • n88tr
    restarted whole thing was really messed up and not good for texturing
    ass load of work to do

indepstudy_castle1_by_cahemmy123-d5myat3.pngindepstudy_castle2_by_cahemmy123-d5myawn.png
  • makecg
    Nice thread dude inspiring stuff
  • n88tr
    a little progress
    mostly on the walls
    tmwr will be better

indepstudy_castle3_by_cahemmy123-d5n3ee9.png
    indepstudy_castle4_by_cahemmy123-d5n3eko.png
  • n88tr
    progress

trying to get all modeling done by tonight
    put on some of my simple textures tomorrow morning and show prof my progress thus far. Due Friday at the lastest.

indepstudy_castle5_by_cahemmy123-d5nr68s.png
    indepstudy_castle8_by_cahemmy123-d5nr6rh.png
    indepstudy_castle6_by_cahemmy123-d5nr6er.png
    indepstudy_castle7_by_cahemmy123-d5nr6kp.png
  • n88tr
    made a little market area

indepstudy_castle8900_by_cahemmy123-d5ntkds.png
  • n88tr
    Showed to prof. He wanted me to texture what I had before adding new objects so I'm working on a barrel, a fern, and unwrapping the wall.
  • n88tr
    horrible textures
    rushing too much

indepstudy_castle5_by_cahemmy123-d5oco7s.png
  • n88tr
    progress
    trying to knock this out tonight

indepstudy_castle8_by_cahemmy123-d5ogk7r.png
  • n88tr
    Prof gave me an "A" and suggested i try to finish the scene and hand it in again at the end of the xmas break, Jan 20th.

Scene is unlit

Will try to set up some simple lights and do some renders and then post em here
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Rens
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    If you made a nice gingerbread material and slapped that all over there it might pass as a gingerbread castle/village combo.
    Otherwise, A?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You should add a spa for the soldiers after they get tired from murder.
    Congrats on the A!
    Dude for all seriousness, you need to put this in UDK. If you want to do game art, or whatever you want to do, you need to use a game engine, I mean that's kinda the point.
    If you put the effort in you could have it all in UDK in a day. You have SO much time to make this so I hope you use it.
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, remember when a bunch of people advised you to do a smaller scale scene a few pages back? Yeah, that's still relevant advice. Focus on a small part of this scene and making the textures and materials as good as possible. Sculpt some nice tiling textures, focus on material definition with some props, and fill out a section of this environment. Spend time on putting together a nice lighting scheme to create a mood.

Being that you're a senior and I'm assuming this is going into a portfolio, you'd be better served trying to finish up a small section to as high a level as possible and moving onto something else. The entire scene just doesn't feel realistically designed or well thought-out. Like you weren't using much reference of how the city might be planned, the scale of buildings in relation to each other, etc.
  • North
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    an A?

was your teacher high?
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    A for effort. Seriously, what clown school are you attending?
  • n88tr
    I thought you guys would be happy for me

I've made a lot of progress, albeit it crappy i fully admit the textures are just stretched on there to look decent, but it's better than me just making models with no mtl on them what so ever.

I have never said i know it all or that its PERFECT so i would appreciate a little pat on the back for taking on such a big project and not failing it or just quitting [not that i was tempted but hey]. I could say a lot more about what they taught us in school and then what I've tried to pick up here on PC but i don't think anyone would listen

I'm going to keep working on the scene so it's far from "done."
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message

I've made a lot of progress, albeit it crappy i fully admit the textures are just stretched on there to look decent, but it's better than me just making models with no mtl on them what so ever.

I have never said i know it all or that its PERFECT so i would appreciate a little pat on the back for taking on such a big project and not failing it or just quitting [not that i was tempted but hey]. I could say a lot more about what they taught us in school and then what I've tried to pick up here on PC but i don't think anyone would listen

Dude, you can't be serious. People are giving you advice and you can't even see the reality of your castle. Even for a limited amount of time, this is sub-par. I mean do you see your ground texture? It has plants on it of all things, it has plants that would be about 10-20 feet given your scale. There is no normals, no spec, this is all straight from a maya veiwport. If you actually wanted to do this fast you could probably have had most of this done in a day, it wouldn't be great but it would be better.
    You could have made one modular wall piece and use whatever the ffd is in maya, and then use a tileable across the whole thing, and then vertex painted in a tileable. That would take literally 5 hours. IF EVEN.
    Making a tileable out of some vines or moss would take litterally minutes.

If you knew UDK or Cryengine like most people on this forum, and certainly someone with 1.2k posts on this forum should, you should realized that you could make a simple tileable for the ground, then paint the layers and make it look good, I mean it really isn't hard.

If you don't know how to do it LEARN it.

All you have done is post some lazy, half assed and honestly BAD work, and expect a pat on the back. Now there is plenty of poor work that has been posted, even I have posted inherently bad work, but a lot of people are willing to look, learn, and listen.

At what level do you see your work that you should get a pat on the back? You want to put effort into it, and look like you are actually trying then you might get a pat on the back. But you literally fail to listen and don't even try to get better.

You have been on poly count for 3 years, and doing 3d probably for about that length. I went through your threads and while you have made progress you certainly have not put the effort in that I would expect of someone who seems to be going to school for game art (presumably with hopes of a career). Three years and you don't even KNOW what UDK is, come on man.

Someone looking to hire you won't care about how much effort you put into in, but the quality of it.

So no. Listen to people.
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11

Listen man,

Polycount is a community to show and progress your abilities as an artist. Criticisms are not meant to be taken personally they're meant to make you work better. If someone were to give you a 'pat on the back' just by saying 'great job man!' or 'awesome!' what do you learn from that? what makes you progress?

Honestly the fact that people like Alex or anyone for that matter takes the time to give you advice on how to improve your models is a pat on the back. No one owes you anything and if they're willing to take the time to try to improve your work with nothing to gain themselves, they are trying to help you.

lastly, you cannot be motivated by praise. You didn't say that but I get that feeling. You have to be motivated to be better at what you're doing so you can create things that you and others enjoy. If you want to keep model for yourself and not have it be part of a project then you can still post here not asking for critiques but you wont get responses.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    6 months ago you were given a truck load of advice on tiling textures amongst other things and all you do is ignore it and rush together an environment in a few days.

"stretched textures are better than no material" - No they aren't. And it would take you literally minutes to fix the stretching so it is at least somewhat believable. All you need to do is load up one reference image to tell your textures scales are completely wrong too, which is again minutes, not hours, not days, not weeks, to fix somewhat acceptably.
  • n88tr
    You guys set the bar so i high i don't think i could make it if I tried, it always seems to be higher and higher away even if I get better. It's n88tr, learn nDo2, or use UDK or CE3, it's easy!! Well it's not ok? Let me be the first apparently to say this is hard stuff. I get frustrated and i get called an idiot here so i put stuff off and then find a round-about way to get it done and even that sucks so sometimes i don't know what to do and stuff turns out crappy, big surprise. I have 1300 posts or whatever but in what world does post count correlate to skill with modeling or texturing? Posts are just that, posts, nothing more. Maybe if I had 4 posts my art would be more acceptable, is that what everyone is trying to say? I know my stuff sucks a lot compared to other work people seem to churn out no big thing and I'm mystified, scared and put off. I know I don't belong here but I try to soak up as much info as my head can before i get burned or overwhelmed, which always happens.

I know PC isn't a place for love and praise but i guess i was dreaming about that. Anyways I still do like this place because i learn a lot though i know it isn't always apparent in the quality of my work. I just think it's unfair to compare my work to like Alex or EarthQuake or some people like that. Obviously we are are on two different wavelengths but I think I've made a lot of progress and I'm happy with that but not pleased. I can see what people have told me and then i go back to read and research and its "hey read the wiki, you don't know jack about this" and the wiki makes no sense and i end up googling terms and it's still all greek to me. I have a passion for digital arts and it hasn't stopped and i doubt it will. I have no extraordinary talents in this area but it is still fun for me to get better, make art, learn new small techniques here and there and try apply it in my works.

Like I said I have long ways to go but all the things you guys claim are so easy are literally very hard for me ok? I don't think people here realize that not everyone is a media God. I don't try to measure up to that bar, but I do shoot for something beyond what I am making now and having goals like that is good in my book.

Anyways, I will keep at it and change some textures around, try my hand and working on the model proportions etc. And I have the "completed" scene i handed in to my prof with renders i have not posted so i will get on that. I added more buildings, props, vegetation, etc.
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    n88tr, going through your stuff I cannot find one thing that you have stuck with and branded complete. No one is calling you an idiot. Some of the things these guys are telling you about ARE easy like fixing stretched uvs. But you automatically rejecting them just cause you don't want to put in the effort.

No one is expecting you to produce something a professional produces. People are just trying to get you to get things done right, to help you streamline your workflow so you can work better, to make things try to look better at your ability.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys set the bar so i high i don't think i could make it if I tried, it always seems to be higher and higher away even if I get better. It's n88tr, learn nDo2, or use UDK or CE3, it's easy!! Well it's not ok? Let me be the first apparently to say this is hard stuff. I get frustrated and i get called an idiot here so i put stuff off and then find a round-about way to get it done and even that sucks so sometimes i don't know what to do and stuff turns out crappy, big surprise. I have 1300 posts or whatever but in what world does post count correlate to skill with modeling or texturing? Posts are just that, posts, nothing more. Maybe if I had 4 posts my art would be more acceptable, is that what everyone is trying to say? I know my stuff sucks a lot compared to other work people seem to churn out no big thing and I'm mystified, scared and put off. I know I don't belong here but I try to soak up as much info as my head can before i get burned or overwhelmed, which always happens.

I know PC isn't a place for love and praise but i guess i was dreaming about that. Anyways I still do like this place because i learn a lot though i know it isn't always apparent in the quality of my work. I just think it's unfair to compare my work to like Alex or EarthQuake or some people like that. Obviously we are are on two different wavelengths but I think I've made a lot of progress and I'm happy with that but not pleased. I can see what people have told me and then i go back to read and research and its "hey read the wiki, you don't know jack about this" and the wiki makes no sense and i end up googling terms and it's still all greek to me. I have a passion for digital arts and it hasn't stopped and i doubt it will. I have no extraordinary talents in this area but it is still fun for me to get better, make art, learn new small techniques here and there and try apply it in my works.

Let me say this.

I know a lot of people who are don't have 3d come natural, or design, or whatever, I know what it's like, but just set the bar as high as you can, you need to be objectively thinking that about what you're doing wrong, and the people who do things well, well, why are do they have good work? A lot of the things you say you put effort into don't require skill, just though, like the ground texture, anyone could realize it doesn't make sense.

So put the thought into it, I don't know why you couldn't at least do that much.

Start small, and actually finish something, if you have your standard high enough and you finish an asset you should learn from it. We can be proud of the things we've done, but you should also see what you could do better. I remember when I started out I remember looking back even a week and seeing my progress, month after month I'd look back and see a lot being done. I have only been doing 3d for 11 months, and I feel I am doing pretty decent for that amount of time, I have been told that by numerous people on PC. In reality, it doesn't matter, and I worked really hard for those 11 months, in fact I think it's the most effort I've put into anything in my entire life, and the most challenging thing I have ever done.

With that said I am by no means great, I have so much to learn, and am constantly learning. I never will stop learning either, none of us will. Not even Earthquake who I wish I could be as good as, and want to some day. The only thing stopping me would be a lack of effort and time spent. Even then that's all subjective. Everyone is good at different things and for different reasons.

Being able to objectively asses and think about your scene is what matters. Listening to advice and seeing what makes other people's work good is what matters.

Learn Cryengine, I will say it's the easiest. There are plenty of tutorials. (not as much as UDK).

Listen to crits, even small ones. I don't know what else to really say. If you want to do this as a hobby then I understand, but I can't tell if you want to get a job in the industry or what.

Just think about it.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It's n88tr, learn nDo2, or use UDK or CE3

Negative. You are the only one on this forum who is trying to push the scope of your projects. We are all saying you should reel back.

Focus all your attention on the market area. Make some modular shop elements (poles, tables, crates) and make them GOOD. One single prop with a lot of effort is more useful, interesting, and overall beneficial to you than a castle full of bad ones will ever be.

DONT fill up the castle

DO refine one particular asset to the maximum of your capabilities

Heck, I would personally even say go back ALL the the way to the nineties and see what you can squeeze out of just a 256² diffuse and ~500 triangles. The tighter you make your limits, the harder you have to work to make it look good, the faster you improve.

edit: I disagree with alexcat. Fuck CryEngine. Fuck any engine. Just make the art inside your modeling package before you even worry about any kind of a complete workflow, or in-game presentation. A simple viewport screenshot with some omnilights is fine.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    edit: I disagree with alexcat. Fuck CryEngine. Fuck any engine. Just make the art inside your modeling package before you even worry about any kind of a complete workflow, or in-game presentation. A simple viewport screenshot with some omnilights is fine.

This. You aren't going to gain anything from dumping what you have in engine.

Go back, read the comments on one of your many UVW/texture problem threads, and get it done properly, post it for feedback, and repeat.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Negative. You are the only one on this forum who is trying to push the scope of your projects. We are all saying you should reel back.

Focus all your attention on the market area. Make some modular shop elements (poles, tables, crates) and make them GOOD. One single prop with a lot of effort is more useful, interesting, and overall beneficial to you than a castle full of bad ones will ever be.

DONT fill up the castle

DO refine one particular asset to the maximum of your capabilities

Heck, I would personally even say go back ALL the the way to the nineties and see what you can squeeze out of just a 256² diffuse and ~500 triangles. The tighter you make your limits, the harder you have to work to make it look good, the faster you improve.

I mean if he's going to attempt something on that scale might as well take the day it takes to learn to export it.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    He shouldn't attempt that scale. It's futile. You don't start learning how to wood-work by building a schooner. You make a footrest.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    He shouldn't attempt that scale. It's futile. You don't start learning how to wood-work by building a schooner. You make a footrest.

Trust me I fully agree, he just seems hell bent on it. I always advocate starting small.
  • n88tr
    I hope everyone had a good xmas day. Mine was ok!

Thinking for the extension to redo the castle and make it as good as i can with real textures. Like a single piece of art with high details and attention

---

made a gun for fun last night. stayed up. didn't sleep
    Rails on the side of the gun are messed up i know. not done with it

finiks_stalker_3d_render_2_by_cahemmy123-d5pa9rs.png
    finiks_stalker_3d_render_1_by_cahemmy123-d5pa9pm.png
  • n88tr
    Issues still remain obviously but it's coming along
    tweaks and then body changes and accessories added

gonna do an unwrap and texture too

50dfa660a9fbb.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    It's too highpoly for a lowpoly, and it's too rough for a highpoly. Work with proper loops and meshsmooths for a proper highpoly, not with smoothing groups.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    It's too highpoly for a lowpoly, and it's too rough for a highpoly. Work with proper loops and meshsmooths for a proper highpoly, not with smoothing groups.

This is a lot better.
    But you should make a high poly and practice high poly modeling, so you can bake all the details down.
  • n88tr
    Working on my last major class, Advanced 3d modeling

basic plan is still up in the air but it's going to be some sort of modern day town scene. Lots of leadership issues which is insane for seniors at college. I already hate one guy on my "team."
    Since we don't know what the scene will be for now I'm going to start work on modeling city props and some vegetation

More to come
  • n88tr
    And some work on the dumb gun
    old pic montage here. Marmoset working in there to get some decent renders
    50f990fbb036d.jpg
  • CrackRockSteady
    Perhaps try making a low poly model, baking normals, and making a texture for the weapon before putting it in Marmoset. An untextured HP model really isn't going to benefit much by being displayed in Marmoset.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Forget about rendering for now. A viewport screenshot with a simple material is good enough. Work on improving your models.
  • n88tr
    Working in my last major class, advanced 3d modeling
    not terribly high hopes for the class. If I don't have high hopes, rest assured you guys won't either and that's good. Teacher wants us to become "masters" of texturing in 2 weeks. Ripped a bunch of dvds for us, that's how she "teaches" us
    http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=321048
    http://facstaff.uww.edu/zhangx/

Anyways I'm following a tut to make a high poly fire hydrant and then make normals and textures

In the adv section we are making a power plant and then using mo-cap studio and software to have walking people, particle effects, cars move, etc

Group leader yelled at me, yelled in a class is big deal apparently, i was laughing to myself, for not being a team player. All I did was ask him what we were doing today. Guess he woke up on wrong side of the bed. I really don't want to get on anyone's bad side so early in the semester. I thought he was a nice guy. Oh wells

Will show fire hydrant as time goes on

rendering is F'ed in Maya. I try to render and I get an error that the object doesn't exist??
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    ....So where's the update on the gun? I think it would be really helpful if you actually finish something like everyone has suggested. Finish the high-poly of your gun, then bake some normals and get to texturing.

Also, not to be rude but no one cares what happened in your class. Show us ART. It doesnt sound like your teacher even knows what shes doing saying students can master texturing in 2 weeks. You're getting a lot of good advice here, don't ignore it
  • n88tr
  • n88tr
    Working on props for our group

our_town___adv_3d_modeling_group_project___wip1_by_cahemmy123-d5txlz3.png
    our_town___adv_3d_modeling_group_project___wip2_by_cahemmy123-d5txm42.png
  • CrackRockSteady
    It is difficult to critique the work unless you give us some additional information. What exactly is this prop? How is it being used?

Also, the tri count for the high poly model is probably moot unless you are planning to actually use it for something other than baking.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Good. You seem to be starting to work with actual highpoly and lowpoly models. The manhole cover should work out okay - though you should add recesses/holes to poke a stick/finger through and open the manhole.

The hydrant (lowpoly) needs more work though. Most crucially, you need to pay more attention to the amount of sides you give a cylinder/sphere/round shape in relation to the sides of the object. The main body is only 10 sided and thus looks very blocky, while the small attachments are 20 or so sides.

rings_sides.png
    size_sides.png
  • n88tr
    You think my low poly hydrant is too low poly?
  • CrackRockSteady
    He's just saying be aware of where you are spending your geometry. It would be better to reduce the number of sides on some of the smaller parts and instead add additional geometry to the large pieces.
  • WarrenM
    Basically, it's better to spend polygons on the silhouette of your object than it is on the details. That's more noticeable to the player...
  • n88tr
    Ok, I get it
    Just wondering if there is a like a threshold number to like highpoly compared to low poly? Like a ratio I can go by say like
    4 times the detail on the high poly vs the low: 4:1

Know what I mean?
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't. Highly complex hieroglyphs can be baked on to a flat plane, but a garden hose might have almost as many triangles in the lowpoly as in the highpoly.

You gotta eyeball that every shape (that is, each curve - not each object) gets roughly the same amount of detail as other curves, when all objects are displayed at the appropriate proportions.