Home Technical Talk

3DMotive - Creating Foliage For UDK

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
Hi everyone

I know that some of you don't look at the news section here, so I thought I should let you know that a new tutorial video, that guys at 3dmotive and me have been working on, has just been released.

The tutorial is about four hours long and focuses mainly on creating foliage textures from highpoly meshes, modelling lowpoly foliage in 3DS Max and setting up materials in UDK to achieve correcting shading and subtle wind movement.

Here's the link to the news story at 3dMotive:

http://www.3dmotive.com/new-release-creating-foliage-for-udk/

and here's the link to the actual video:

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/3ds-max/creating-foliage-for-udk/

Here's the result you can expect:
3dmotive_creating_foliage_for_udk.jpg

I hope that you will find it useful guys :) Feel free to ask me questions. I will try to answer them the best I can.

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Going to watch them today, hope you guys keep up the monthly releases, makes it worth the money spent on the subscription!

Thanks, and keep up!
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice tutorial, and I liked the final result!
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Wow i need this. Hate not being able to purchase individual vids though
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gratz on the Release Damian. Would like to get that one. Too bad 3d Motive doesen't offer individual purchases anymore :( Will need to think of a subscription from january.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like it's going to be awesome, great job.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Great Work!

Any hint on next month's lessons?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm super happy to hear positive comments. Thanks!

Speaking of buying individual videos and nex month's lesson, I'm afraid I don't really know much about it. Tyler (gamedev) and Don (Ott) might be able to tell you more about it.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The subscription plan is awesome, but as mentioned before I'd gladly fork out dough for just the lesson a la cart.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Meh I only want that one video tutorial, I don't want to subscribe to anything. I think that's a silly decision on their part. Regardless that screenshot is gorgeous.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    can't wait to subscribe ... :D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats! Gonna watch this today. Love me some 3dmotive videos.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You model the stuff in Max and apply it to UDK.

The last couple of sections in the tutorial are about as UDK specific as you can get without breaking a femur, unless the game engine SPECIFICALLY support the same basic systems and application for stuff like wind, friction, etc, chances are, you need to learn another engine.

As for the video itself, it's pretty bloody good, especially the Max part, it teaches real men how to model their own foliage without reliance on Speed Tree.

However, for the love of all that is holy or earthly, can you guys make a proper introduction video? Something akin to what eat3D does which gives us glimpses, visually, on where things would be taken. I was expecting the video to only teach me modeling, weighted normals and a simple import, but it gave me more, which simply wasn't obvious.

Cheers.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah a break down of all the ideas presented in the video would make it much better at teasing people into getting it.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be fair, even if you don't have a subscription, you can still go to it's page and see the individual chapters with their titles.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    To be fair, even if you don't have a subscription, you can still go to it's page and see the individual chapters with their titles.

I raise 5 pennies, and play my card:
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I was expecting the video to only teach me modeling, weighted normals and a simple import, but it gave me more, which simply wasn't obvious.

Cheers.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    hey, this looks supersweet :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies and thanks for the kind words :)

To answer some of your questions:

The things discussed in the tutorial should be applicable to a majority of engines. Chapters 2-17, as Ace mentions, focus primarily on Max. Some of the engines might use different solution for creating wind movement, or might not support edited normals, but the core modelling part should be universal.

Doing the things I discuss in UDK chapters might be a bit tricky, however I believe it should be possible to create similar materials if the engine you use features a visual material editor, similar to the one in UDK. As far as I'm aware, Unity has something like this (correct me if I'm wrong). CryEngine 3 on the other hand, has built in shaders for foliage, so it shouldn't be necessary to go past tweaking the vert normals to get a nice looking foliage.

There are however, some things in those chapters that should be relevant even to the folks who don't use UDK, like matching your grass texture to the ground, adjusting the foliage textures, or controlling the brightness of the shaded areas.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Last night I bought myself a 3Dmotive subscription for Xmas. Looking forward to watching your tutorial and the many others I have been eyeing :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I went through this whole tutorial and I learned a TON so thanks a lot for putting this together. My result is, obviously, not as nice as yours but I think it turned out well! Better than expected at least ... heh.

Foliage_Tutorial_A.jpg

Foliage_Tutorial_B.jpg

Foliage_Tutorial_C.jpg

And a movie of the thing in action so you can see the wind and such. A little low res but, eh ...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/161473/Polycount/Misc/Foliage_Tutorial.wmv

Thanks again! I had a lot of fun...
  • Rob Macko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko polycounter lvl 6
    3DMotive is great, and I've specifically been looking forward to this addition!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Glad to hear you like it :)

WarrenMarschall:

Looks like a solid start :) If I may suggest something, I would advise you to make the leaf planes smaller; currently the seem a little too big for the trees. Also, you might want to reduce the density of the leaves on your alpha masked texture, this will help reduce that planar look of some of them. Apart from that, try to make the leaves and grass a little bit darker. If you built the material I discussed in the video you should be able to do that quickly via the instance parameters.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    dammmmnnnnn, those result look FANTASTIC!!! i gotta dig into my slim wallet tho... ugh!
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Would this tutorial still apply to UE4, I know I'd have to do some research on UE4's foliage tools, and a proper wind and grass shader set up, but as far as the technique for modeling and texturing the grass, will it still be applicable? I've never made any sort of foliage before so I'm starting from scratch.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, very much still applicable. This is a great video tutorial. Kudos to Damian!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually watching this right now. Yeah the actual creation process is global to all engines really, its just the last few videos that apply to to UDK.
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiyamlol polycounter lvl 12
    I am really intrigued in getting this tutorial, but does this apply to udk 4 as well? Especially shader setups :S
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiyamlol:

The 3Ds Max part is still applicable. As for materials, the only part that may not be relevant is correcting the 2D-sided shading via custom lighting, since that was specific to UDK. Setting up a master material and a wind shader should still be fairly similar. There will be of course differences in how you should setup your specular/gloss networks and balance diffuse textures, but that's to be expected given that UE4 relies on PBR.

Overall if you'd like to apply this tutorial to UE4 (or any other renderer using PBR) I would follow these steps:

1. Reduce contrast and saturation of diffuse textures. If possible match diffuse values to some of the PBR charts floating around.

2. Lower the intensity of your AO layers and keep any prebaked lighting information in your textures to minimum.

3. Create proper spec/gloss maps for your branch textures and vary the values for each leaf.

4. Make the normals of your branch textures strong; make sure that leaves point in different directions.

5. Add an SSS map and subsurface scattering.

Overall with a PBR renderer you want to rely less on details on your diffuse and more on spec/gloss/fresnel/normals and sss.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for making this video Damian. I remember when i first watched it back in 2012, it was that which made me get more into environments. Made some massive progress in that area since then!
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiyamlol polycounter lvl 12
    Aww thank you for the reply :)

I have been wanting to buy this for awhile so I guess I am gona give it a go thanks! ^_^
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    You should update this to make the last part relevant for UE4, I'd buy it a second time. 4 years after release I found this to be the best tutorial available to teach yourself all things vegetation. I think Speedtree makes everything look similar. Thank you for supporting diversity and quality training material. Not going to call out anyone here but recently some of the stuff released by 3D Motive turned out to be shockingly bad.