Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer (the weapon, not the fantasy game)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
Hi again everyone,

I've been neglecting my University work again and have this to show you.

It's a Warhammer, or War Hammer (maybe should be two words? Doesn't matter, you know what I mean!) and I stole the basic concept from this tutorial; http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=107

I was just watching it, seeing if it might teach me anything I don't already know, and whilst I picked up a few tips on Maya > ZBrush workflow, I also spotted a few things that worried me a little; the detail being sculpted in (particularly the scratches and cracks on the head) were far too small/steep to bake to a decent normal map, and the overall feel of the hammer was terribly boring; the skull for instance just doesn't look good. There were other bad habits being taught here also, like using a unique UV set for each section of the hammer. Needless to say, I wasn't best impressed with a tutorial about 'GAME Weapons' being so un-game-friendly. Now I'm no expert on game art, far from it, I don't even have enough stuff for a mediocre portfolio, but I thought I could do better, so I immitated the base mesh and did the rest myself, for a bit of fun, and here's what I ended up with;
Warhammer_Low_Poly_Marmoset.jpg

...and here's the high-poly sculpt in ZBrush (I need more RAM like the desert needs the rain, seriously),
Warhammer_High_Poly_Sculpt.jpg

The whole thing took 2 'evenings'; Hi-poly on evening 1, low-poly and texturing on evening 2. Also, something I did learn (not from the tutorial, but from my own xNormal-based frustration) is that it's a good idea to bake normals twice; one with a low-poly with hard normals, and another with a low-poly with soft normals, then you can pick and choose which bits of the map look best for each part of the mesh and get a much higher quality normal map than you would get from just one bake.

Also I'm letting my old thread die because it goes on a bit about how much of a noob I am and it sounds like I'm fishing for compliments, which I'm not.

C&C are valued!

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Nice hammer you got there. I could be way wrong, but you might be better off not mirroring the block parts. The details look neat and all, but its really noticeable that they're the same. You could try flipping the UVs vertically maybe?

Otherwise, its looking good.