Home General Discussion

Modern Warfare 3 hits $1 billion in 16 days - beating Avatar's record by one day

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
xvampire polycounter lvl 14
Modern Warfare 3 hits $1 billion in 16 days - beating Avatar's record by one day

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2073201/Modern-Warfare-3-hits-1-billion-16-days--beating-Avatars-record-day.html

I'm not a big fan of MW series ( except MW 1 ) but
it is interesting .... hmmm ... sure its quite rare stuff.
but hey, my new favorite game : Skyrim is number two .

I starting to see pattern in games, the more faceless and less iconic for main character, the more people buy?

however movie does the opposite.

Replies

• Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Dudebros + Military = $$$
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well humans are repetitive

Collectors of trash
    And the hyper active minds need something to release there hyper activity on

Call of duty is one of the many games these days you can get good at fast, just like a Leap frog leapster. Why put some time into getting good at Battle field or go back to learning how to snipe in halo when you can Snip the air beside someone and the collision data lag recognize it as a hit. Run in spraying the place and get a kill, noob tubin it up. Beautiful lag and the best fanbase on the planet. such nice people who respect getting killed unfairly as they take it.

1 billion dollars well spent <3

When is Future warfare coming out?
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Good for our industry, but it's a shame that much better games like BF3 can't hit these figures.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    games are more expensive, and can be bought by everyone the first day if so needed, there's no seat-limitations or limited screenings.
    In the long run avatar has pulled more.

People will always find creative ways to twist the numbers or to find the most optimal one for a particular scenario.

For example, a quote from last year on modern warfare 2:
    When it comes to expectations, Activision said it wanted the "biggest entertainment launch of all time" for the title, and it seems to have achieved it: Modern Warfare 2 sold $550 million in its first five days, trumping five-day box office gross for major blockbusters like Avatar and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

5 days? wasn't it who was first to the 1 billion?, which one is it now, which one decides who sold the best, is it really whatever number is the most preferable for your own product vs the one you are comparing against?
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Striff wrote: »
    Good for our industry, but it's a shame that much better games like BF3 can't hit these figures.

heerrreeee we go...

in before another MW3 VS BF3 shitstorm.

I think it's awesome that it outdid Avatar. Go games industry! :thumbup:
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    $60 of my dollars went to that $1 billion.

:)

Good Game. Too bad it doesn't have the residual income of 'DVD sales'.

BTW, why are you guys shitting on MW3? It's not like avatar was the greatest movie ever.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    .. millions of flies .. >_>
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is that a remotely relevant sales comparison? MW3 sells for $60 and ticket's for Avatar were on average $15. That's roughly 66 million tickets versus MW's 17 million copies of the game. And the difference was only by 1 day. I'm sorry, this isn't a hate thing for MW, but it's not the better seller.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not so sure its good for our industry that one title makes one company that much money. Sure some of it will go to reinvestment and some is repayment of development costs but a big pot of money like that is going to go to line someones pockets... With any luck they will think to reinvest a small chunk of that again.... hopefully...
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    All my cod fanboy friends are upset with mw3.

So im happy :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Avatar and Modern Warfare, things you can sit back and watch films of action (on youtube) and not really be missing out on much.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to see how much was pumped into marketing for Avatar, BF3 and MW3.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    MW3 costs like 10x more than avatar did...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    What I wouldn't given for an Infinity Ward bonus check :O
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Autocon wrote: »

No shit. Just 1 executive level bonus check... haha
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the funny thing is mw3 probably cost like 1/3 of what avatar did to make. most of the time I think it just comes down to marketing dollars spent and getting your product in everyones faces absolutley everywhere.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    And having the right kind of title at the right time, quite often good fortune.
    Avatar at this point and according to wikipedia has grossed $2,7 billion, and it's just the first movie of most likely some more.

Modern warfare 3 sold really good, but it's yet to beat avatar, no matter how the article or activision wishes to put it, games simply have much more of a focus spurt than movies, and unlike movies there's no such thing as dvd-release to further enhance sales.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    wait, why is this a comparison between a movie and a game?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i totally disagree that this is good for the industry, all this game promotes is wash rinse repeat ideas. This concept is what many big game companies are doing very little innovation anymore
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    nick2730 wrote: »
    i totally disagree that this is good for the industry, all this game promotes is wash rinse repeat ideas. This concept is what many big game companies are doing very little innovation anymore

We are entertainers, some people don't want innovation, they want something they can enjoy playing/watching.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ryswick wrote: »
    We are entertainers, some people don't want innovation, they want something they can enjoy playing/watching.

Exactly.
    The modernwarfare series has, even if it's a repeat, given their customers the polished experience they want.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Autocon wrote: »

Bonus that Infinity Ward wont get because of Activision.

Ok, jokes aside. I thought Infinity ward was done and the founders of it formed a new game studio and signed a contract to work with EA games. =\
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Nitewalkr wrote: »

Ok, jokes aside. I thought Infinity ward was done and the founders of it formed a new game studio and signed a contract to work with EA games. =\
    Yeah they made Respawn Entertainment under EA

That didn't stop MW3 from being a financial success though. However the crippled IW did have other game studios help out with MW3.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is that a remotely relevant sales comparison? MW3 sells for $60 and ticket's for Avatar were on average $15. That's roughly 66 million tickets versus MW's 17 million copies of the game. And the difference was only by 1 day. I'm sorry, this isn't a hate thing for MW, but it's not the better seller.

I really agree with this.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    How do bonuses work in these sitautions? Are they only given if stated beforehand in the contracts or is it dependant on how well sales are?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but at what point do consumers start going the way of guitar hero. Once activision started pumping them out every year it died very short after
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    It died immediately after. Cod 4 was innocently successful and thats what was great about it. Activision wasn't trying to manipulate the series at that point in time so they could get more sales.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    but at what point do consumers start going the way of guitar hero. Once activision started pumping them out every year it died very short after

I think they actually tried to pump out like 5 a year didn't they? with all the "insert band name here" editions
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think they actually tried to pump out like 5 a year didn't they? with all the "insert band name here" editions

Pretty much,

I would think modern warfare to be different, modern warfare 2 was pretty damn good, one of the better popcorn games I've played, I can imagine why many people wanted modern warfare 3 after that.

But guitarhero had no connection like that, there was no story, there was no immediate need of the multiplayer everyone was going to move on to, the plastic guitars started to wear off like tamagotchis, but the first person shooter genre is here to stay, forever.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I wonder if GH would have had a better long-tail if they released ONE definative version, then the rest were $1/song, $10/song, $5/character bundles.

I keep wondering what the allure of an annual sports game is at this point. Makes me wonder why it isn't simply a subscription based model with expansions and updates.

MW3 was a good game. I just wish the campaign were longer. I'm not a big fan of the multiplayer (less about the game, and more the people on the steam servers).

I dunno People in this thread shitting on it just strike me as people who shit on anything that's popular.

:/
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I dunno People in this thread shitting on it just strike me as people who shit on anything that's popular.
    :/

Haters gonna hate.
    Minecraft for example is considered shit that shouldn't be gaining the popularity and sales that it has, by many vocal people.

But others, like me just want to point out that activision has skewed the numbers in their favor by picking "we did this before that" even when it will not gross as much as avatar.

For example: Minecraft sold far faster and better than both modern warfare 3 and avatar, it hit 3 million sales before it was even released! both modern warfare 3 and avatar was at a steady 0 at that point.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Wait until they make a Modern Warfare movie, then you can compare it's sales to Avatar :P
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    notman wrote: »
    Wait until they make a Modern Warfare movie, then you can compare it's sales to Avatar :P
    Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, you know they will :P
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    eld wrote: »
    For example: Minecraft sold far faster and better than both modern warfare 3 and avatar, it hit 3 million sales before it was even released! both modern warfare 3 and avatar was at a steady 0 at that point.

There is just as much skewing in this sentence as Activision has ever done with Call of Duty.

Minecraft was "released" as soon as you could pay for it. I dont care if he called it an Alpha or a Beta or a Banana. He released a product that was bought and paid for, it dosnt matter if he says the REAL game wasn't finished yet.

Its the same as if Avatar was shown in theaters, people paid for it, but Camran said, Oh this isnt the final release of Avatar because it will be out in theaters again in 6 months later with 8 more minuets of footage. What was shown was just Avatar Alpha. So all the sales I made earlier are from before the movie was even released!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    a lot of people have no taste.