Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ghetto Blaster

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
still trying to improve my texturing so i made a Boombox, pretty simple : )
when complete, will have diffuse/normal/spec/alpha/emissive - and it currently weighs in at 399 tris

some quick renders, doesn't have a proper spec map yet.. and the texture is what im currently focused on finishing soon (some of the colours are made for the emissive channel and to help me eye ball positions, but i didn't switch them off.. or better yet tone them down for a regular render, sorry.)

low_front.jpg
low_back.jpg
wire_front.jpg
wire_back.jpg

this is a discolite model, google it or even youtube it and see vids of it lighting up etc : ) c&c welcomed

Replies

• Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've chosen something that's actually tough to practice texturing on, in that you're not really expressing a material so much as a group of decals. So while it's good practice for something like getting comfortable in photoshop, it doesn't do much in the way of getting a better understanding of material expression. That being said, it looks like it's on the right track.
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, needs the other maps though. as said this is not really something to practice texturing on.

one thing aswell, do not render your models, just display them in the viewport with xoliul shader, 3 point shader or even in marmoset, realtime your models will look as they would look in game.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nearing the finish, still need to revisit the diffuse a bit more but not much

boom_front.jpg
    boom_back.jpg

and with some of the lights on
    boom_emissive.jpg
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No sort of judgment from me but some Angled renders would be nice. Front and back just aren't enough.
  • acloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good. I would spend another hour or so on the model too. add some detail to holes and the speakers and grill, if they are not flat already. looks cool already.
  • Fritzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Scott! Always good to see people I know on PC.

Critique-wise, The only real problem area I see is the speaker grille. Your model has the holes in straight lines, while the Discolite offsets the holes to fit more in, like this.

Apart from that, It's shaping up really well. Were you planning to keep the texture clean, or were you going to to a roughed up version too?
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MadnessImport: they are coming soon !
    Aaron: im trying to keep it as low res as possible so as far as the model goes its done. but i will be revisiting the highpoly to get a better looking normal map around the two cassette slots
    Frazer: thanks for pointing that out, i redid the cage to match. and i was going for clean but i guess some wear and tear wont hurt, but nothing over the top : )

will update either tonight or tomorrow
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still missing the wear and tear, but i changed the spec map a bit and the normal. thoughts?

front-2.jpg
    lights.jpg

and the angled ones as requested
    frontangle.jpg
    backangle.jpg