Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chibi Space Marine

polycounter lvl 12
Online / Send Message
Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
Hello,
Chibi Space Marine I made for a client Indie game. Modeled low poly in Modo, textured in PS.

2350 Tris
1024 Diffuse

This was kind of my first full hand painted texture. No tablet, don't have one. I'm looking for critique in the ways of diffuse only textures and maybe some techniques and tricks. The client was happy with everything, but I'm sure there can be improvement and would like some feedback. Thanks!

frontca.jpg
sidecy.jpg
backsideu.jpg
backcc.jpg

Replies

• Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love it:) i'd like to see some more shine on the visor though, either painted or with a spec/env map
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    What previous post said!
    The texturing is nice, but it lacks feeling without any spec or gloss.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    awww. I was expecting WH40K.

Still, nice model though.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. I'll add a spec and env map to add some kick. Does hand painted stuff typically have a spec map?
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    That depends, but in your case the visor is such a huge part of your mesh that it feels necessary. And it will look good too! :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Haha... I'm totally with Stinger here.
    "Space Marine" immediately got me expecting to see a WH40K Space Marine.

Your concept reminds me a lot of Master Chief, im guessing that is intentional? You should pose him a bit more relaxed or dramatic. This pose is quite unappealing imo. I think you could benefit from a bit more contrasting levels in your texture or lighting.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    The client gave me few reference images of Halo-esque characters and wanted a green/black/grey armor in the style of the reference. So it's not Master Chief, but certainly drew some inspiration from him and ODST characters.

Ya he's just ended up in a standard A pose cause of modeling, didn't try to pose. I'll revisit and add new maps and pose and lighting (its just a viewport screen grab atm). I should make a weapon as well
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    coolbeans.

Can you put it at 75% self illuminated? the geometry shading is really messing with the lighting you've painted in.

can we see some texture flats as well?
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hey JacqueChoi, I do not know how to do 75% self illumination :( from what I know 100% is texture only, no lighting or shading information. Can you help me out, how can I do 75% self-illum in either Maya or Modo?

Here are the flats though.

chibispacemarinediffuse.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Assuming you are using a default Maya material such as Lambert or Blinn you can use the "Ambient Color" as your slider for ambient light amount, in this case your "Self-Illuminaton slider". You should combine this with lowering your "Diffuse" attribute which is 0.8 per default. This attribute control to what amount your surface should be affected by direct lighting (directional, points, spotlights, etc.).

This way you can combine a bit of "self-illumination" and direct lighting. Also, you do not only have to use a grey scale value or a single uniform value for that matter in the Ambient Color attribute.

You have to use High Quality Render in your viewport to the see the result of this.

By the way, you have a few texture shells which could be optimized by stacking them as they seem to use pretty much identical texture parts.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ok thanks kodde! I had a feeling it was something to do with ambient lighting or within the shader itself. So i've set it up at .75 ambient color and .25 diffuse with 1 directional light, white and intensity 1.0 with Spec map applied and a few tweaks to the Diffuse, mainly toning down scratches so they're picked up in the spec rather than diffuse.

Is there a way to apply an environment or reflection map realtime in Maya? I'm using Viewport 2.0 for screengrabs.

chibispec001.jpg
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazy design.

Stop imitating and START THINKING. You imitate every other guy on this site by doing the same poor choices. Why do you have scratches on every single ridge? Because you're too lazy to actually make it look good with logical ways of grunge it up.

You are also doing some weird ass choices when it comes to design, why in the infernal heavens do you have a rigid wrist like that?

You have something interesting going on, you just have to stop using autopilot for awhile.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    If you wanna progress with more and more game like real-time shading in the viewport then you should look at cgfx/hlsl shaders. I have some on my site and there a few other ones for Maya as well.

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryShaders

You can actually use some environment nodes in Maya to use image based lighting instead of a uniform value, for ambient lighting for instance. The hypershade has some environment nodes, I think the Cube one lets you load 6 separate textures for each Cube side. Not entirely sure if they work in the viewport or not.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Julmust, thanks for your comments, i agree the scratches/grunge are generic and overdone on every ridge. As for the wrist, it can bend forward with no interruption, it's only rigid if the hand were in a pushup position. I chose that design in an attempt to stray away from the Master Chief look (he has an individual armor plate on the back of his hand). I probably could've incorporated a pivot or something.

kodde, I didn't feel like messing around in Maya anymore and downloading shaders, best to just get it in game, so here it is in CryEngine3. thanks for the information though. Since you're a shader guy, are you familiar with Leo Covarrubias and Peter Anderson? They did a presentation in Boston about some CGFX Shaders you might be interested in. Here are some links for ya:

http://blog.leocov.com/search/label/cgfx
    http://www.cgbootcamp.com/tutorials/category/cgfx

So here it is in CE3, the environment and cubemap consists of CE3 textures/presets

crychibimarine.jpg